Anyone Else Up For a Resilience in CPM-M4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: Anyone Else Up For a Resilience in CPM-M4?

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:42 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 am
To me, the price point is the primary attraction with Chinese value line. That difference becomes less obvious with the higher end steels.
Sure the designs are good as well, and if you prefer your edge all the way up to the handle, there's not a whole lot of options in the Spyderco lineup.
It's still a hard pick for me, and I'd probably dig a little deeper in my pocket and opt for a Military Model (2) if I want a knife of that size in a premium steel. It's mostly a weight issue, I think. As I seem to remember from my brief acquaintance with a MM1, it's more nimble in hand and less of an anchor in pocket. To me that could be the difference between carrying a knife or leaving it in a drawer to dust.
Actually the Resilience LW has a better "weight to edge length" ratio than both Milli 1 and Millie 2:

All three weight exactly the same (4.4 oz, in grams the Millie has 1 less (124 grams vs 125...), but the Resilience LW gives you 108 mm/4.25" of cutting edge vs "just" 93 mm / 3.65" on the Millie. To me a substantial difference!

Also, the Resilience is shorter when closed (133mm vs 140 mm Millie) plus has an a bit slimmer handle end, that "blocks" the pocket less and lets the hand slide by better.

So I think the Resilience LW is actually a BETTER carry than the Millie and less "of an anchor" in pocket
(and the thinner blade, better ergos, grippy FRN and linerlock make it a win for me over the Millie 2 anyway)

The G10 Resilience though is heavier indeed (143 grams / 5.1 oz)!

/ From real, extensive experience I can only compare the "family members" one step smaller, so Tenacious LW vs PM2 - and for me the Tenacious LW (in S35VN) beats the PM 2 in pretty much every aspect (and all points should be true for Resilience LW vs Millie 2 too):
Same weight, but shorter carry with a lot more edge (like an Endura), better ergos, grippy FRN, thinner blade, linerlock...
Oops, it seems my prejudice got the better of me :)

I guess there is no excuse for not checking the specs, but I really didn't think it was necessary. As I mentioned I didn't still own a Military Model when I got my Resilience, but in my rose colored memory of the MM1 it was clearly more nimble in hand. I guess this settles it; my memory isn't to be trusted :D