Changes to OpFocus Program

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bradley

Changes to OpFocus Program

Post by Bradley »

Spydie email.png
Dear OpFocus® Program Member:

Due to significant increases in material and operational costs, earlier this year, Spyderco found it necessary to make adjustments to all our pricing policies. As part of this restructuring, we will also be implementing changes to the OpFocus Professional Purchase Program.

Effective May 1, 2024, the OpFocus discount will be revised to 40% off the MSRP. Program participants will still be allowed to purchase up to 10 knives per calendar year at this discount; however, Sprint Run™ and Flash Batch™ knives will no longer be eligible. Purchases of byrd® brand knives will also be counted toward your 10-knife total.

Despite these changes, the OpFocus Professional Purchase Program will continue to offer you the largest discount of any company in the cutlery industry. We will also continue to extend our program to the broadest possible audience of duty-bound personnel, military veterans, and retirees.

Spyderco greatly appreciates your service to our country and our community. We thank you for your understanding and your continued interest in our products.

Respectfully,

The Spyderco Crew
WilliamMunny

Re: Changes to OpFocus Program

Post by WilliamMunny »

I want to be the first to say thank you to Sal and Spyderco for the OpFocus program, greatly appreciated. It is very generous compared to most companies, regardless of the change.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Doubling down on William's post, I also appreciate it. Fewer and fewer brands offer such a large discount to vets (and others). 40% is still a very good discount. I get the sprint run removal too, as those must have less profit margin.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Sad to see the change, but still super grateful for the discount. Guess I need to buy a knife before May! A K390 Enuff 2 has been on my radar lately… 🤔
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

😢
MRj “Weak things break!”
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:00 am
Sad to see the change, but still super grateful for the discount. Guess I need to buy a knife before May! A K390 Enuff 2 has been on my radar lately… 🤔
A Shaman has always been on my list, but I just bought my third Spyderco this year yesterday. Need to hold off so my better half does not kill me.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:41 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:00 am
A Shaman has always been on my list, but I just bought my third Spyderco this year yesterday. Need to hold off so my better half does not kill me.

I understand that! 😅
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Still grateful.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Davidspeed13

Post by Davidspeed13 »

Of course I like saving the most money possible on purchases, when it does not harm a good company/individual. I do not expect discounts because of my service though, but will gladly accept any discount offered. After all, I signed up knowing what it entailed (mostly, I least I thought I did 🤪) and was compensated by the military and continue to receive compensation now in my retirement. I greatly appreciated the 50% Opfocus discount, as well as the outstanding customer service and responsiveness of Spyderco to its individual customers. I understand the need to lower the discount with our current economy and will continue to appreciate the 40% Opfocus discount just as much. After all, as others have pointed out, it’s still one of the biggest discounts of any company. Spyderco even gave us enough advance notification to get in a last order or two under the higher discount. The majority of my purchases over the last several years have not been eligible for this discount anyway, since I seem to buy more MuleTeam products than anything else these days.

Thanks Sal, Kristi, and all of the other dedicated Spyderco staff for all that you do!
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

I appreciate the discount whether it is 50% or 40%. I only recently discovered this program and I am very thankful for it.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

No worries, Spyderco. It's still an outstanding discount. Thank you.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

phaust wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 am
40% is still a very good discount.
It’s not a 40% discount. It’s 40% off of MSRP.

For example, a plain G-10 PM2 is $265 MSRP.

OpFocus price: $159

Street (MAP) price: $198.75

That’s about a 20% discount.
phaust

Post by phaust »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 pm
phaust wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 am
40% is still a very good discount.
It’s not a 40% discount. It’s 40% off of MSRP.

For example, a plain G-10 PM2 is $265 MSRP.

OpFocus price: $159

Street (MAP) price: $198.75

That’s about a 20% discount.
Thanks, everyone understands that though. "Discount" is what Spyderco calls it, as shown in the OP ;)

Effective May 1, 2024, the OpFocus discount will be revised to 40% off the MSRP.
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

Today I tried to sign up for OpFocus Program and I didn’t finish the application because at some point ID.me asked to provide my social security number.
I thought this is ridiculous, why do I have to give my ssn in order to complete my application?

Members of OpFocus please let me know if you had to do the same thing. Did anyone have to put the ssn in the application?

Thanks
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

Thank you Sal, Eric and the rest of Spyderco for having the OpsFocus program! I have used it and I very much appreciate it.

Thank you.
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

gimibala wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 pm
Today I tried to sign up for OpFocus Program and I didn’t finish the application because at some point ID.me asked to provide my social security number.
I thought this is ridiculous, why do I have to give my ssn in order to complete my application?

Members of OpFocus please let me know if you had to do the same thing. Did anyone have to put the ssn in the application?

Thanks
I believe it is a third party company that does background check for Spyderco that asks you for ssn, not Spyderco itself. That company already has access to the ssn database so technically they already have your 9 digits.

Not sure if it puts you at ease of mind, but I had to do it as well. I have decent identity protection account that so far has done a decent job monitoring my information online. Nothing suspicious since I started my opfocus.
phaust

Post by phaust »

If it helps, ID.me is used on official government sites such as va.gov and irs.gov for login and identification, and it has contracts with and has received grants from the federal government, so it's not just like some random company on the internet.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

gimibala wrote:

Thanks
Out of curiousity, how did you expect them to verify your service without it?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:03 pm
gimibala wrote:

Thanks
Indeed.

If the phrase “Last four” means nothing to you, know that the Veterans Administration
cannot proceed with any query or check-in without putting a vet’s privacy at risk.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:03 pm
gimibala wrote:

Thanks

Leatherman, Microtech and Govx.com only asked me to upload a photo with my work badge and my ID, that was enough to get discounts on their programs.