Chaparral Slipit?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Chaparral Slipit?

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Chaparral, quite a lot. It is super thin and gives more blade than the Dragonfly in almost the same size package. I personally would like to see a Chaparral slip joint with SPY27.

I think it is time to move on from XHP as I like SPY27 better in my use.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Re: Chaparral Slipit?

Post by Wartstein »

Doc, you know how I love and admire the Chap, especially as an even for Spyderco unique design in several aspects.

And though one of these aspects actually is the supersolid (stop pin - ) backlock, it is still just ONE and since I am all for as many variants as possible of this knife to make more people try and enjoy it, a Slipit would be nice - if it keeps the other features of the Chap, like superthin but also supersolid built, 2mm ffg blade and, as you say, the great blade to handle ratio (and even better "blade to overall package" - ratio).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... and before people perhaps say that the UKPK is close to a Slipit Chap:
Imo it is not really.

- The Chap is a slimmer and shorter (by almost ten percent) package, but offers more blade and edge in relation to the handle length than the UKPK
- has more solid built
- has a thinner blade stock [EDIT: just looked it up: I was wrong! Same thin stock!]
- has a much more subtle thumb ramp (very Manix-like)
- and a handle that maximizes grip area as much as possible (long at the bottom of the handel, where the fingers sit, almost no pinky hook-ish shape)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Sure, I would take one.
Flash

Post by Flash »

The chaparral design would lend itself well being made into a slip joint.

Don’t make it a tuning fork backspring like the UKPK - they are already fragile enough in that knife.

Also would prefer Spy27 over CTS-XHP as I’ve put rust on my Chaparral.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:41 pm
Doc, you know how I love and admire the Chap, especially as an even for Spyderco unique design in several aspects.

And though one of these aspects actually is the supersolid (stop pin - ) backlock, it is still just ONE and since I am all for as many variants as possible of this knife to make more people try and enjoy it, a Slipit would be nice - if it keeps the other features of the Chap, like superthin but also supersolid built, 2mm ffg blade and, as you say, the great blade to handle ratio (and even better "blade to overall package" - ratio).
That very thin blade with a stop pin and no lock would really make a great pocket knife. This is important in places where they don't want to have a chance of the serfs rising up against the ruling elite...er, I mean where locks are not legal or are frowned upon.

I use a UKPK every day. For the kinds of things that I do a lock is not necessary and is just one more step. Wouldn't Goncalo alves scales look great? But, just FRN is fine with me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Chap SlipIt in SPY27 would be incredible. I find XHP to be a great steel as well, and have no issues with it as some have, but SPY27 further solidifies the "Spyderco-eyness" (thanks Gernot!) of the model. Taichung is starting to work with SPY27, as was softly revealed in this years SHOT Show from Eric. I believe the maiden voyage for this model is supposed to be a LightWeight/FRN. This particular model is up high on my anticipation list, and I eagerly await its introduction to the market.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yep. Definitely.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Yes, enough points of difference to the others knives of the Slipit range. I would buy one.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I realize there are differences but I still think it’s too close to the ukpk and urban to compete in their split joint line. It just doesn’t feel necessary with designs already very similar in the slipit line.
I’d rather the chaparral stay as it was intended. Taichung made lockback gentlemens folder showcasing different unique handle materials.
:bug-red-white
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Urban has a 2.5" blade. The UKPK has a 3" blade. The Chaparral has a 2.75" blade. It fits.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tristan_david2001

It doesn’t.
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:47 am
It doesn’t.
Keep in mind that the Urban and Squeak models feature a simplified slipit construction compared to the UKPK. AFAIK so far only the UKPK has the more involved and subjectively much nicer feeling mechanism.

A Chap slippie could be marketed much more premium than the basic Urban and could make the fancy handle concept available to a broader audience. If there's a market for such a thing I don't know, but it could definitely be made sufficiently distinct from the existing models.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:38 am
The Urban has a 2.5" blade. The UKPK has a 3" blade. The Chaparral has a 2.75" blade. It fits.
No doubt it fits! Blade length is just one of several aspects here.

Said it above already: Thinner blade stock [EDIT: just looked it up: I was wrong! Same thin stock!], better blade to handle ratio, subtle (versus pronounced) thumbramp, more optimized grip area where the fingers sit, super solid built... a slipit Chap would be a pretty different knife.
I really grant all of those who like or have to carry slipits a variety of choices, and the Chap definitely just helps with this.

Also, with slipits it is just logical that there are more choices in the small knife arena: The safety of this type of knife is clearly enhanced when the predominant grip is with a finger in the forward choil - and this is the natural grip with folders that small
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristan_david2001

benja-man wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
It doesn’t.
Keep in mind that the Urban and Squeak models feature a simplified slipit construction compared to the UKPK. AFAIK so far only the UKPK has the more involved and subjectively much nicer feeling mechanism.

A Chap slippie could be marketed much more premium than the basic Urban and could make the fancy handle concept available to a broader audience. If there's a market for such a thing I don't know, but it could definitely be made sufficiently distinct from the existing models.
The really slight size difference makes no difference to me, and I think if they wanted to do premium gent version slip joints the ukpk is also just as worthy of an option. my opinion is basically if you want a slip joint knife with the main genetic features the chap has I think the urban and ukpk are good enough to fit that bill. And if you want a chap just get a chap. I just feel like what we have is good enough and this change isn’t a cost effective solution. Again all my opinion
Flash

Post by Flash »

A Chap slippie would bridge the gap between an Urban and a UKPK for blade length. The few mm shorter length (than the UKPK) would bring the blade uncontroversially below the 3” mark. Not even the biggest sphincter of a copper measuring the blade diagonally would have it over 3”. Good for piece of mind in countries with “complicated” knife laws, whilst still maintaining a practical length.

If it brings over the same geometry of the Chap it will be noticeably lower than that of both the urban and the UKPK, making it a more efficient slicer.

Different ergos. I personally prefer the subtle thumb ramp of the Chap over the UKPK and much so the Urban - your thumb resting of its prominent ramp feels like it naturally wants to push the blade off the backspring and towards to closed position. Therefore I feel like the low style of thumb ramp the Chap has would perfectly suit a slip joint from a safety standpoint.

Taichung - Everyone loves Taichung Spydies, would be nice to have a slippie made there.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:47 pm
benja-man wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
The really slight size difference makes no difference to me, and I think if they wanted to do premium gent version slip joints the ukpk is also just as worthy of an option. my opinion is basically if you want a slip joint knife with the main genetic features the chap has I think the urban and ukpk are good enough to fit that bill. And if you want a chap just get a chap. I just feel like what we have is good enough and this change isn’t a cost effective solution. Again all my opinion
At first I want to clarify: My post above was not in any way targeted against you and your opinion (which I do respcet!) but a reply to Docs (hadn´t even read yours when I replied).

But: What do you think about all the other differences I mentioned OTHER than the "slight size difference"?

I even forgot a main one, at least when it comes to what I like in the Chap:
The superthin carry (but paired with an extremely sturdy and "unflexy" construction and feel in hand).

Where I was wrong though: The UKPK actually has the same, great thin stock as the Chap! (Not so the Urban) - this, for my preferences, makes the difference between the two smaller indeed!