Sage series collection - What's the next Sage?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Sage series collection - What's the next Sage?

Post by Sharp Guy »

For the me the "Axis" lock was/is a Benchmade thing. I like it but Since I already have several Benchmade models with it I'm not sure I'm interested in someone else's version. Same if someone else made a compression lock knife. Not interested.

Looking forward to seeing what lock the next Sage will have
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:47 pm
We probably won't do anything with the "Cross-bar" Lock, as it seems to be very popular with a large number of Makers.
It’s not a bad lock but I think CBB is better by far. Cross bar springs always strike me as a failure point waiting to happen.

I think for the underlying idea of displaying various lock types a "crossbar" / axxis lock Sage would be cool but other than that:

Not the biggest fan.
Omega springs broke twice on me (pretty easy to replace though) and a BM Minigrip is the only knife that came open in pocket to me at least also twice (it actually cut me twice that way ;) )

So the CBBL imo is a lot more durable and offers a stronger closing bias.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm still hoping the Sage6 will be a button lock or CBBL, as long as it doesn't require expanding the body of the knife like the Sage3. In the meantime I'll continue to lobby for a Sage2 reboot like the Sage1 got :)
toneyc

Post by toneyc »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:07 am
I'm still hoping the Sage6 will be a button lock or CBBL, as long as it doesn't require expanding the body of the knife like the Sage3. In the meantime I'll continue to lobby for a Sage2 reboot like the Sage1 got :)
Sage 2 is my favorite knife in this series. At one point I owned 10 of them and I still have one that I use as my ECD and three NIB. The rest were given to close friends and family as gifts.

I would love to see it come back.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

sal wrote:
riclaw wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:06 pm

Still hoping for the Snecx Superlock or the Demko Shark-Lock for the Sage 6. I think it fits with the theme of the Sage series if Spyderco can attribute the lock to a particular person.

Hi Riclaw,

I tried to communicate with Demko a number of times over the past few years since he broke with Lynn, but he never responded. Guess he's not interested.

We probably won't do anything with the "Cross-bar" Lock, as it seems to be very popular with a large number of Makers. Not very marketable to be the "last kid on the block". We didn't do anything when the patent expired out of respect for Benchmade. Maybe some time in the future? The same is probably true of the Snecx Lock? We'll think about it.

We have two new locks of our own that we've not been able to fit into production.

sal
Thank you, sir. I'm so excited for the future of the Sage series.
- Richard
sal

Post by sal »

abbazaba wrote:

Hi Abbazaba,

You keep on nagging. I'll keep on watching. If we did another run, we'd have to change it in some ways. otherwise it could hurt the collector value of the original run.'

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

sal wrote:
We have two new locks of our own that we've not been able to fit into production.

sal
I’m guessing Ball Bearing Lock™ & PowerLock™.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:12 am
abbazaba wrote:

Hi Abbazaba,

You keep on nagging. I'll keep on watching. If we did another run, we'd have to change it in some ways. otherwise it could hurt the collector value of the original run.'

sal
Thanks sal! Does 10v/K390 count as enough of a change? :) If not, the CRK ceramic interface certainly would! :smiling-halo

While I enjoy all the Sages, there is just something special about the 1 and 2, especially the look and feel of the 2 IMO.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Count me in the minority, but I'd rather wish the management team make the long-requested Para-3 sized Manix instead of a CBBL Sage...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:00 am
Count me in the minority, but I'd rather wish the management team make the long-requested Para-3 sized Manix instead of a CBBL Sage...
I would also prefer that.

In a meantime I’ll be happy with Sage.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:18 am
I’m waiting for that SPY27 one. 👍
Me too. The Sage 5 is a great EDC all-rounder on its own and my S30V LW was good practice in modifying it to perfectly fit my hand. Now I'll get to kill two birds with one stone: a chance to "do it right" with those mods and a chance to try SPY27!
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

Sage 2 in MagnaCut and Cruwear please or better yet maybe reintroduce the Domino in those steels.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

D-Wade wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:05 pm
Sage 2 in MagnaCut and Cruwear please or better yet maybe reintroduce the Domino in those steels.
YES!!! Another vote for a Domino re-release! I’ve asked about this several times recently, either in its original form or the Domino 2 which has been mentioned previously. The Sage is a very nice model but it never really fit my hand well, certainly compared to the Native 5. The ergos of the Domino blow both of them out of the water, and is very deserving of another run. But no Dice please (pun intended), it’s a weird little guy. Go team Domino!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
elena86

Post by elena86 »

chronovore wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:59 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:18 am
I’m waiting for that SPY27 one. 👍
Me too. The Sage 5 is a great EDC all-rounder on its own and my S30V LW was good practice in modifying it to perfectly fit my hand. Now I'll get to kill two birds with one stone: a chance to "do it right" with those mods and a chance to try SPY27!
Me too. I love the SPY27 and blue cobalt combo.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Mat_ski wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:47 pm
nerdlock wrote:
I would also prefer that.
I don´t know folks, let me explain:

- Imo a "Para 3 sized" smaller Manix would absolutely have to get rid of the Manix 2 pinky hook.
- This hook works great for most hand sizes to really lock the hand in when not choking up on the Manix 2.
- BUT: In a smaller Manix the pinky hook would actually restrict the grip area on the handle to much, most hand sizes would be forced to choke up in the choil - and WHEN choking up in the choil the hand is locked in by the index finger in the choil anyway, so no pinky hook needed in the first place.

Now: A CBBL Sage would offer just that:
Very manix-ish overall shape (ok, no "secondary" guard / finger groove), but a handle that actually maximizes the grip area on the actual handle as much as possible (handle made as long as possible on the downside, no pinky hook).

Just my 2y, and what I´d really like to see getting transferred from the Manix 2 in a smaller version (or a CBBL Sage) would be a linerless, light FRCP version... :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

sal wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
Hi Abbazaba,

sal
People want a rerun of the knife likely to use the knife not collect the knife. I personally think there’s more value to having your knives used than keeping a model back due to perceived loss of value that a knife collector might feel.

To hold a model back because some collector will take a $75 loss on their collection seems misplaced. I’m not trying to be overly critical here but to me, not rerunning a knife to preserve some random collectors’ value seems quite ridiculous.

Just my .02.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Personally, I really appreciate how much Spyderco genuinely values their collectors. It’s very commendable, in my opinion.
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:
abbazaba wrote:

Hi Abbazaba,

sal
Personally, I don't really desire another run of the Sage 2 but wouldn't pass on one either. You could anodize the Ti blue and use a different steel. Similar to what you did for the KJ Slysz Bowie
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I would love a new run of the Sage 2. It would be rather cool to update the RIL to what it is today with the ceramic ball interface. Just my selfish desire, I would prefer that to even a new lock. And I know it would be in high demand. It would not sit around.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kobold

Post by kobold »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:13 pm
Any new Sage variety is great! Would love a K390, but honestly will probably happily settle for the SPY27. Though a new lock variety would be best.

And for those that missed out, I would most enjoy a Sage 2 re-release like they did with the Sage 1. Even if it is a Sprint run.

My most desired Sage as well.

I would also like the Sage version of the Carbon Fiber Native 5. Contoured scales and with a backlock.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10