Sage series collection - What's the next Sage?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manifestgtr

Re: Sage series collection - What's the next Sage?

Post by Manifestgtr »

Can’t wait for the Rex 121 Sage.

Dreading the day a cruwear Sage 5 lw is released…which will render every other 3” in my collection inferior in a definitive way
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
toneyc

Post by toneyc »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 pm

Dreading the day a cruwear Sage 5 lw is released…which will render every other 3” in my collection inferior in a definitive way
Has there been any indication on a release date?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Toneyc,

As a general rule, we do not release dates until we're ready to ship. Glitches happen and then there is disappointment.

sal
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

toneyc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 pm
Manifestgtr wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 pm

Has there been any indication on a release date?
Rex 121, as Sal said…

and unless I’ve missed something major in the last week or two, there isn’t a cruwear sage in the works as far as the public is aware. That’s just a 🤤 scenario of mine.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

araneae wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:29 pm
I'd be super interested in Spyderco's take on a crossbar lock as well as Snecx's Superlock.
A Sage in a Crossbar Lock would be awesome!

The Crossbar (Axis) Lock seems to be gaining much more in popularity since the Benchmade patent ran out in 2016 (you still can’t call it Axis lock due to trademarks). I’ve gotten several impressive ones from various brands with different names for the Crossbar Lock:

— Hogue - ABLE Lock
— Kershaw - DuraLock
— Kizer - Clutch Lock
— Olight - Rail Lock
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
toneyc

Post by toneyc »

sal wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:17 pm
Hi Toneyc,

As a general rule, we do not release dates until we're ready to ship. Glitches happen and then there is disappointment.

sal
No worries Sal I understand and thank you for the explanation.
toneyc

Post by toneyc »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:38 pm
araneae wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:29 pm
I'd be super interested in Spyderco's take on a crossbar lock as well as Snecx's Superlock.
A Sage in a Crossbar Lock would be awesome!

The Crossbar (Axis) Lock seems to be gaining much more in popularity since the Benchmade patent ran out in 2016 (you still can’t call it Axis lock due to trademarks). I’ve gotten several impressive ones from various brands with different names for the Crossbar Lock:

— Hogue - ABLE Lock
— Kershaw - DuraLock
— Kizer - Clutch Lock
— Olight - Rail Lock
Could this be the Sage 6? 😄
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RamZar wrote:

— Hogue - ABLE Lock
— Kershaw - DuraLock
— Kizer - Clutch Lock
— Olight - Rail Lock

Interesting. Do all the variations also use something like an omega spring?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:53 pm
RamZar wrote:

— Hogue - ABLE Lock
— Kershaw - DuraLock
— Kizer - Clutch Lock
— Olight - Rail Lock

I believe Hogue uses Wolff Springs.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 pm

Wouldn't that indicate far better spring reliability, cf the omega spring?

Although, found this vid, looks omega-like.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 6.08.27 PM.png
Last edited by Bolster on Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Bolster wrote:
RamZar wrote:

— Hogue - ABLE Lock
— Kershaw - DuraLock
— Kizer - Clutch Lock
— Olight - Rail Lock

I think so. Wolf is a brand. I don't see how they could offer far better reliability.

BM has a new flat wire Omega spring in the 710 re-release. And a coil spring in the Anthem. The narrows just slimmed things down a bit. BM's version of CQI?

Still hoping for the Snecx Superlock or the Demko Shark-Lock for the Sage 6. I think it fits with the theme of the Sage series if Spyderco can attribute the lock to a particular person.
- Richard
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:05 pm
JSumm wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 pm

Wouldn't that indicate far better spring reliability, cf the omega spring?
Maybe with name recognition. I gifted my Hogue away and did not have enough time with it to determine personally how reliable it was. Back in the day I carried a Bugout quite often. Did have to send that one back to replace a well used broken spring.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

riclaw wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:06 pm
I don't see how they could offer far better reliability.

What I meant to say is: "Wouldn't a coil spring offer far better reliability?" (When I did a quick search on Wolff springs, all I saw were coil springs.)
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

A coil spring design is more reliable (longer-lasting) than the current Omega spring design. I guess it's just harder to make an Axis lock with a coil spring? Why else wouldn't BM or another mfg make an Anthem 2.0 or clone?
- Richard
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

toneyc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:03 am
Must have all 🤣
Nah! I kind of had that same attitude for awhile. Now I have 150+ knives, many of which never get carried

I do like the Sage line though and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) a Sage 6 & 7
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:11 pm
riclaw wrote:
I don't see how they could offer far better reliability.

What I meant to say is: "Wouldn't a coil spring offer far better reliability?" (When I did a quick search on Wolff springs, all I saw were coil springs.)
A coil spring like on the Manix seems extraordinarily more reliable. However, the Hogue like other bar locks uses a similar shape to the BM Axis lock spring. Wolff Springs from my understanding makes the springs for Hogue. I think it may have to do with both companies crossover into the firearm industry parts and accessories. Wolff makes lots of coil springs but not for the Hogues. This is just my understanding. I could be wrong
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bolster wrote:
RamZar wrote:

— Hogue - ABLE Lock
— Kershaw - DuraLock
— Kizer - Clutch Lock
— Olight - Rail Lock

My latest from about a week ago is the Olight Rubato 4 with the Rail Lock, S35VN and Ultem scales. Here’s my pictures and you can see the spring.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

riclaw wrote:
...And a coil spring in the Anthem....

Aha! Found a photo of the BM Anthem coil spring version of the axis lock....seems like a worthy upgrade. Rather Manix-like, if you ask me, tho with a much longer spring. I wouldn't say "no" to a Sage with a lock like this, tho I'll wager it's still under a patent protection...is it? All that aside, I'd rather see a Sage with a CBBL. I like the self-adjusting-for-wear logic and the solid lock-up of the CBBL.
Attachments
BE781_08_benchmade-be781-08-826087530.jpeg
sal

Post by sal »

riclaw wrote:

Still hoping for the Snecx Superlock or the Demko Shark-Lock for the Sage 6. I think it fits with the theme of the Sage series if Spyderco can attribute the lock to a particular person.

Hi Riclaw,

I tried to communicate with Demko a number of times over the past few years since he broke with Lynn, but he never responded. Guess he's not interested.

We probably won't do anything with the "Cross-bar" Lock, as it seems to be very popular with a large number of Makers. Not very marketable to be the "last kid on the block". We didn't do anything when the patent expired out of respect for Benchmade. Maybe some time in the future? The same is probably true of the Snecx Lock? We'll think about it.

We have two new locks of our own that we've not been able to fit into production.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

sal wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:47 pm
We probably won't do anything with the "Cross-bar" Lock, as it seems to be very popular with a large number of Makers.
It’s not a bad lock but I think CBB is better by far. Cross bar springs always strike me as a failure point waiting to happen.

It may be an old lock at this point but the “phantom” lock from the Meerkat is still one of my favorites to fidget with. I have an old Meerkat that I know is here somewhere but cannot find, it’s driving me nuts.