My First Bento Box Shop Experience

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MidnightCoalCo.

My First Bento Box Shop Experience

Post by MidnightCoalCo. »

Just received my PM2 K390 and I got to say overall it was a very smooth transaction and the knife seems to be in perfect condition. I know before making my purchase, I was doing some research on the dealer and the knife itself and it seems like Bento Box gets reviews saying either they are awful or great. Thankfully my experience has been good with this first purchase. While I'm not a huge fan of their site layout, no return policy, and the prices they put on some of the knives I am glad I was able to grab this one up.

While I know I overpaid for this knife and I'm very late to the game on it, I have been on a K390 kick recently and just had to have one. Surprisingly, when I was trying to research this knife it seems like reviews or info on it are much more limited compared to other PM2 models, not sure why as it seems to be a great knife.
:bug-red-white Spyderco enthusiast with way too many to list. :bug-red-white
jdw

Re: My First Bento Box Shop Experience

Post by jdw »

That's a nice grab on the knife. I think their most recent batch of K390 PM2s will be slow to sell out but when they are gone I think a lot of people will be sorry that they missed out. I don't carry a PM2 much but I have this model and it has some of the finest action of any of my Spydies and as you noted, K390 is just an awesome steel. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for BBS around here but other than willingly over-paying for a model that I really wanted I would have to agree that all of my experiences dealing with them have been good.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

MidnightCoalCo. wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:56 am
While I know I overpaid for this knife

Ain't no shame in paying for something that you want.
Good on Bento Box for getting you knife that none of the "lowball sellers" could provide.

anycal

Post by anycal »

Back in 2017, it was $190 ($221 out the door). To this day, it is my favorite PM2 and Spyderco.

For a while I thought about getting a backup, but haven't yet. Seems like price is creeping up the longer I wait. If I had to replace it, I would pay what it goes for.

Few of us here have been asking for more Golden K390 models. Military and Native 5 G10 would be an instant buy for me. Even the UKPK would be fun.

Enjoy!

Peter
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I've purchased several knives from them without issue. Good dealer in my book. They have great sales...sametimes.
benben

Post by benben »

anycal wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:43 pm
Back in 2017, it was $190 ($221 out the door). To this day, it is my favorite PM2 and Spyderco.

For a while I thought about getting a backup, but haven't yet. Seems like price is creeping up the longer I wait. If I had to replace it, I would pay what it goes for.

Few of us here have been asking for more Golden K390 models. Military and Native 5 G10 would be an instant buy for me. Even the UKPK would be fun.

Enjoy!

Great pic, fantastic beer!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Bento Box Shop’s service has been fine for me. By having somewhat higher prices, they function as a reservoir of new old stock long past the time when the lower price sellers are out of stock.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I have the Para 3 K390, and was fine with the cost considering the exclusive and the nature of their available stock. There's a cost involved in having stuff like that on the shelves.

Other than wishing their website was designed in the 21st Century, I had no problems with the purchase.
Brian
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I bought my first Spyderco, the grey PM2 CTS-20CP, and first run Smurf blue PM2 M390 from them. 👍

They stopped doing international shipping soon after that. 👎
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Funny you mentioned them. I was pleasantly surprised by receiving the HAP40 Endura today, that I ordered from them on Wednesday!

Faster than Amazon most days🤭
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Other than a dislike of their prices and return policy, what has really kept me from the pm2 para3 K390 offerings is the Seki offerings. For my uses with K390, the thinner the better. 13-10dps. Golden K390 blade stock isn't too thick to be good. I've got Maxamet, S110V, and a few other steels in the Para family that are great.

But... why buy the thicker blade stock when there's plenty of nice thin Seki K390 blades to be had? Especially with so many customization options to turn the Lightweights into what ever you want.

I feel like the compression lock is all I'm missing out on there.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

BBS has always chosen their exclusives very well. I never felt like I was getting a deal, but their shipping has been quick and I've never had any regrets about buying from them. They are never a first choice as a general knife shop, but they fulfill orders quickly, have a good selection of less common stock/sprints and historically have had excellent exclusives.
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’ve had nothing but good experiences with the guy. A little pricey but prompt shipping and it helps that he’s already in California.

Still not as fast as DLT, though.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:51 pm
Funny you mentioned them. I was pleasantly surprised by receiving the HAP40 Endura today, that I ordered from them on Wednesday!

Congrats!

I think the 125 USD they charge for the HAP40 Endura really are almost a steal.
My personal favorite PE folder (this exact version) of all times.

I also got an HAP40 knife from them for a really good price, my burnt orange Stretch 1.
Went very smoothly, they would even have shipped to Europe back then, but for a pretty high price so I had the knife shipped through a forwarding service (Bentoboxshop shipped to an US (post box) adress that way).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:43 pm
Other than a dislike of their prices and return policy, .....
SOME prices are actually really good, like for the above mentioned HAP40 Endura (on average they very well might be higher than usual, never checked that).

And someone pointed out a potential advantage of their return policy: This makes sure, that one can never receive a knife that has already been returned before (I still think though offering return service is better policy).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dan31

Post by dan31 »

My go to place for HAP40. I recently bought a second Endura at the lower price. Given inflation from when they were produced (2016?) it’s one **** of a good deal in my book.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:50 am
My go to place for HAP40. I recently bought a second Endura at the lower price. Given inflation from when they were produced (2016?) it’s one **** of a good deal in my book.

It really is.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:26 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:51 pm

Congrats!

I think the 125 USD they charge for the HAP40 Endura really are almost a steal.
My personal favorite PE folder (this exact version) of all times.

I also got an HAP40 knife from them for a really good price, my burnt orange Stretch 1.
Went very smoothly, they would even have shipped to Europe back then, but for a pretty high price so I had the knife shipped through a forwarding service (Bentoboxshop shipped to an US (post box) adress that way).
Thanks Gernot! I'll admit your passion for this knife greatly influenced my decision, so thanks for that too :smiling-cheeks
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049