VG10 HRC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RugerNurse

VG10 HRC

Post by RugerNurse »

Anyone know what the latest delicas have for Rockwell on the VG10? Just curious
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
ejames13

Re: VG10 HRC

Post by ejames13 »

I believe I've read on some threads around here it's 58 HRC, but I don't have a definitive source.
sal

Post by sal »

I'll Rc one and let you know.

sal
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:32 pm
I'll Rc one and let you know.

sal
Thanks! I’ve been really surprised with the VG10 on my Delica I bought last year. No chips or rolls and the retention has been really good.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:13 pm
sal wrote:
Thanks! I’ve been really surprised with the VG10 on my Delica I bought last year. No chips or rolls and the retention has been really good.
Interesting you'd say that: I always have the feeling that "new" VG10 (so on my newer Seki Spydies) holds an edge longer than "old" VG10.
Completely unscientific though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:54 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:13 pm
sal wrote:
Interesting you'd say that: I always have the feeling that "new" VG10 (so on my newer Seki Spydies) holds an edge longer than "old" VG10.
Completely unscientific though.
I heard somewhere that the HRC is higher on VG10 now than in the past. Maybe I’m wrong
sal

Post by sal »

3 tests; Average = 59.7

This is typical. Old and new VG-10 the same.

sal
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:08 pm
3 tests; Average = 59.7

sal
I appreciate you checking. I guess VG10 isn’t the slouch YouTube says it is
sal

Post by sal »

I don't watch much YouTube reviews. The one's that I watched were not very knowledgeable about knives, at least by my standards.

I found Cedric & Ada and a few others good as well. I find that many reviewers that have an "opinion" seem to believe that their "opinion" is somehow "absolute truth"? That's why we have a bunch of equipment for testing. Even then, we're always learning.

sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

VG-10 is a very good steel. If this was 30 years ago, it would be considered a super steel. I think it's still great. If the blade I carry for the day happens to be in VG-10, I never feel under-knifed.

I don't really care what people on YouTube have to say about it. I don't watch many knife reviews on YT anyway. In most cases, keeping up with the newest trends and touting the "latest-greatest" brings the most views.

Jim
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:24 pm
sal wrote:
3 tests; Average = 59.7

sal
VG-10 is fine steel. Sure, it doesn't hold an edge forever. It's very easy to sharpen and maintain an edge though.
Catchadroppimgknife

Post by Catchadroppimgknife »

I like steels I can easily sharpen. EDC knives should be easy to sharpen. - I can sharpen VG10 Super Steels are interesting and I do have some - but give me some easy to sharpen steel ( even BD1) and I’m a happy guy :cheap-sunglasses

I had S110 once and it drove me nuts! Just could not get it sharp - I can get VG10 and S30v sharp! :party-face
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
3 tests; Average = 59.7

sal
Thanks, Sal!

So obviously my "unscientific gut feeling" that "new" VG10 has a bit better edge retention than "old" one is not grounded in reality.

Perhaps it is just that cause my older Seki VG10 Spydies have been sharpened more often they are thicker behind the edge or something like that.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

VG10 is a great steel. Remember, friends don't let friends watch youtube knife reviews.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:35 pm
I don't watch much YouTube reviews. The one's that I watched were not very knowledgeable about knives, at least by my standards.

I really don't mean to bash on anyone, but I think many Youtube "reviewers" should just call themselves what they actually are: "First impression of knife in hand" - guys, often without having much experience when it comes to real use in various tasks.

Funny (or rather weird) to me for example is when ergos got judged as good or bad by just lightly holding a new knife in hand and not actually using it and see how it feels then...

And yes, imo often opinions get repeated again and again by folks who appearantly not really tried for themselves, and "VG10 is outdated and inferior steel" is one of those.
(Others would be stuff like "deep carry is better,period", "serrations are only good for man made fibrous material and hard to sharpen", "backlocks are hard to close one handed" and so on).
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:24 pm
sal wrote:
3 tests; Average = 59.7

sal
This is the wrong conclusion to draw here. Most (all?) cutlery steels, including the cheapest 8CrMoV13, can hit 60 Rc. VG-10 can get as high as 62 I believe. Harder does not mean better.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:34 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:35 pm

I really don't mean to bash on anyone, but I think many Youtube "reviewers" should just call themselves what they actually are: "First impression of knife in hand" - guys, often without having much experience when it comes to real use in various tasks.

Funny (or rather weird) to me for example is when ergos got judged as good or bad by just lightly holding a new knife in hand and not actually using it and see how it feels then...

And yes, imo often opinions get repeated again and again by folks who appearantly not really tried for themselves, and "VG10 is outdated and inferior steel" is one of those.
(Others would be stuff like "deep carry is better,period", "serrations are only good for man made fibrous material and hard to sharpen", "backlocks are hard to close one handed" and so on).
Testify! 🙌🏻

The amount of times I’ve been chatting to someone and they’ve poo-pooed my work knives because they are ‘only’ H1 or LC200N…

Goes a little like this:

“Oh… your knife is only H1? I’ve heard [insert name of YouTuber here] say that has rubbish edge retention.”

“H1 is great, especially in SE! Why, what are you carrying today?”

“[insert name of the latest en vogue YouTube knife here] in M390. It has amazing edge retention. I’ve been carrying it a year and haven’t needed to sharpen it yet!”

“Do you actually cut anything with it?!”

“Yeah, that’s why it’s not so sharp anymore.”

“If it’s not sharp anymore it’s not going to be terribly useful for cutting things is it?”

“I keep meaning to send it away to get sharpened…”

“Here, I’ll show you how to do it now.”

[an hour and a full reprofile later]

“There you go. We got there in the end.”

“Wow, that took ages! Aren’t there any steels that are faster to sharpen?”

“…have you ever heard of the super steel ‘H1’?…”
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I’ve also noticed that many reviews/channels that are geared towards beginners often say edge retention is the best attribute of steel. I would argue easy of sharpening for the beginner.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I love VG10 and carry my Rockjumper all the time…it’s a great steel and a fantastic bargain 👏 afa YT videos I only watch a few like Stassa 23 when he does his testing on a new knife or Outpost 76, now that guy’s all business…Cedric and Ada is pretty knowledgeable and silly at the same time 🤪
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:34 pm

It's crazy when those people claim they can feel a "hot spot" on a knife they never used. The definition of that term is a spot that gets rubbed raw after using the tool for a period of time. Yet they grab a knife and immediately exclaim that they feel hot spots! :eye-roll