This knife should be in production…My dream hunting knife put together.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmj3esq

This knife should be in production…My dream hunting knife put together.

Post by jmj3esq »

I finally had the time, patience and money to put together what I have in my mind as the best all around folding hunting knife. I had to have a Shaman because of its perfect ergos and thick robust blade. S90V is my favorite steel to work with and this knife had to be blaze orange, so I Frankensteined this bad boy. I took off the micarta scales from a Sprint Run and swapped them with the orange scales from a Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive. I also added a Lynch NW deep carry clip and a Flytanium titanium geared backspacer.

Now its all ready and how I dreamt it up. This knife is so perfect it should be a Sprint Run of its own. Hopefully I get to use it on a turkey when season opens in a couple weeks.

I just wanted to share the coolest hunting knife on the planet. Thanks for looking.

Manixguy@1994

Re: This knife should be in production…My dream hunting knife put together.

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Looks like a nice folder set up . I like the Orange idea . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nice knife indeed (except I personally am not into deep carry clips), thanks for sharing! :clinking-mugs

But for hunting: Wouldn´t the thinner Bodacious blade be even better? (I am not a hunter (harder to become here in middle Europe than in most of the US), so this is really more a question than a statement)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:06 am
Nice knife indeed (except I personally am not into deep carry clips), thanks for sharing! :clinking-mugs

But for hunting: Wouldn´t the thinner Bodacious blade be even better? (I am not a hunter (harder to become here in middle Europe than in most of the US), so this is really more a question than a statement)
I would be using it mostly for gutting and cleaning up deer and larger game. I used a Shaman S30V to gut and clean last fall's deer and it made short work of it. I like to cut thru the sternum to remove the upper chest organs. It takes a hefty blade and you really have to battle with it. My only fear is that the S90V edge may chip a bit on bone. If I were deboning, yes, I would prefer a longer and thinner boning type knife.

When I was gutting that deer last fall I laid the Shaman (that had jade colored scales) down in the corn stubble and lost it. It took 1/2 searching with a flashlight in the dark to find it. That is the 3rd time I've misplaced knives in the field. I never found one and the other I actually had to get a metal detector to find it. Thats why the blaze orange scales are a must.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That knife looks ready to hunt.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jmj3esq wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:12 am
Wartstein wrote:
I would be using it mostly for gutting and cleaning up deer and larger game. I used a Shaman S30V to gut and clean last fall's deer and it made short work of it. I like to cut thru the sternum to remove the upper chest organs. It takes a hefty blade and you really have to battle with it. My only fear is that the S90V edge may chip a bit on bone. If I were deboning, yes, I would prefer a longer and thinner boning type knife.

When I was gutting that deer last fall I laid the Shaman (that had jade colored scales) down in the corn stubble and lost it. It took 1/2 searching with a flashlight in the dark to find it. That is the 3rd time I've misplaced knives in the field. I never found one and the other I actually had to get a metal detector to find it. Thats why the blaze orange scales are a must.

Thanks for the insight in processing larger game!
Something I have almost no experience with (just assisted one time in processing a chamois (mounatin goat), one time a sheep).
I see now why the sturdy Shaman blade makes sense!

/ And yes, I like bright colored handles too, especially for outdoor use (and pretty much all of my Spydies see that at least occasionally).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jmj.

Looks great. Let us know how it performs.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Nice
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Wartstein wrote:
I use a deep carry on this knife for a very specific reason and its not to conceal the knife. When wearing my rifle on a shoulder sling, I found the butt end of my rifle stock would tap against the top of the exposed portion of the knife when using a regular clip. Using this deep carry clip eliminates the annoying tapping the stock would make on the butt end of the knife. I prefer a regular clip in most instances, but there's years of hard science behind this particular knife. lol
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

It looks perfect for your technique. Cutting through a deer's sternum can definitely be a chore, so the thicker blade is a great choice. I'm right there with you on bright scales! (This thread made me think, why not glow scales on a hunting knife? You could charge them with your flashlight or headlights and they might glow for long enough to field dress the deer.)

I eventually abandoned the sternum technique and started using a longer, more pointed knife to reach a little further into the body cavity. If I were still hunting, my folder of choice would be the Stretch 2 XL Salt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jmj3esq wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:
I use a deep carry on this knife for a very specific reason and its not to conceal the knife. When wearing my rifle on a shoulder sling, I found the butt end of my rifle stock would tap against the top of the exposed portion of the knife when using a regular clip. Using this deep carry clip eliminates the annoying tapping the stock would make on the butt end of the knife. I prefer a regular clip in most instances, but there's years of hard science behind this particular knife. lol
Thanks,you taught me something new - a potential (in your case actual) pro of deep carry I never thought of myself!

Would you say the deep carry clip makes a difference to the stock clip when it comes to ergos (either worse or better) especially when doing the harder tasks in processing game you mentioned?

I personally just really dislike deep carry clips, but that is completely subjective of course and if I had a really good reason like you have here, I'd still get one and "live with it".
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:39 pm
jmj3esq wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thanks,you taught me something new - a potential (in your case actual) pro of deep carry I never thought of myself!

Would you say the deep carry clip makes a difference to the stock clip when it comes to ergos (either worse or better) especially when doing the harder tasks in processing game you mentioned?

I personally just really dislike deep carry clips, but that is completely subjective of course and if I had a really good reason like you have here, I'd still get one and "live with it".
The addition of the deep carry clip does add a bit of a hot spot at the heel of the scale, but its manageable.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like it. What is not to like. S90V may be my all time favorite steel.

S90V - CHECK.
Deep carry pocket clip - CHECK.
Decent sized blade - CHECK.

The orange grip does not bug me, but black is better for my needs.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Nice knife!
Personally I like my hunting knives a bit smaller and find the little brother, N5 salt, to be just about a perfect hunting knife right out of the box. Light, high viz scales, easy to keep clean with no liners and very forgiving to all kinds of challenging use and conditions.

Size preferences on hunting knives seems to vary a lot, and I’ve unfortunately never had the opportunity to try a Shaman. I think I may like it more than I expect, especially the grip comfort.