Tip Up vs Tip Down Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Tip Up vs Tip Down Carry

Tip Up
52%
Tip Down
14%
Depends on the knife
30%
Never thought about it
4%

Total votes: 113

clinton1

Re: Tip Up vs Tip Down Poll

Post by clinton1 »

Preference for tip up, not completely opposed to tip down though. Do not currently own any tip down.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I definitely prefer tip up.

Although some knives are OK tip down, if there's no other option. Like the Military 1.

I switched my Police 4 LWT to tip down, because when tip up, the contact point of the clip and handle texture was very abrasive on the pocket material. Positioned for tip-down carry, the pocket clip contacts on more of the flat logo.

Jim
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

I voted depends on knife. Like many have said, I prefer tip down on larger knives usually. But some like the P4 isn’t very comfortable in hand with clip in tip down. Also depends whether I like to carry the knife in my back pocket or not. Back pocket knives get tip down, front pocket tip up
Skar

Post by Skar »

Tip down is my preference.
Seems easier to manipulate the knife and more comfortable to carry.
If you’re carrying tip up you’re carrying it wrong.

However some knives don’t allow me this simple pleasure. I still carry them time to time anyhow.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Tip up on everything. Even long knives are easier to draw for me tip up. and I gave tip down a try for a few months but never fell in love.

Though I hate the 9 extra holes for 4 position clips. I wish plugs were available in either black, stainless steel, or colored to match the scale.

Specifically, on back locks, the pivot side clip screws allow dirt access to the immediate lock and pivot area. If they were plugged the pivot would remain cleaner and smoother for longer in dirty and edc conditions.
tzirconia

Post by tzirconia »

horzuff wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:30 am
For me it's tip-up only. I'mm right-handed and always carry in my front right pocket with the blade against the edge of the pocket, so that's safest, easiest to draw and least problematic to use the pocket alongside the knife (no jimping or stray blade tips to hurt ya).
Same^

I recently picked up a PM2 and since it came with the pocket clip in tip down position I thought I'd give that a go. I tried it for about a week and while I didn't mind carrying, removing or deploying the knife in tip down configuration, I found the jimping on the thumb ramp a bit too abrasive when reaching for other items deeper in pocket. I switched it to tip up carry and now it's great for my purposes.

Maybe someday I'll get a Native Chief and try tip down again...
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I’m tip up for everything but the Millie family. I’ve tried tip down for the endura, stretch and a few others but it just never felt right. So nearly everything is tip up.

But then for PM2s and my military models, tip up doesn’t feel right. I think it’s because I got used to tip down with the cruwear/52100 Millies so that’s just how those models feel best to me. That doesn’t extend to the Para 3 but for anything larger in that family, I’ll always swap it to tip down immediately if it doesn’t arrive that way.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I strongly dislike tip up but will deal with it on the right knife. Very few tip up knives make it into the rotation. I carry in my back pocket though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

It's a function of:

Knife Size
Carry Location

In terms of size, small to medium knives work better with tip up - Delica for example. One you reach Endura size it could go either way. Once you reach Military / Police / Ulize length handles Tip Down is much faster / requires less grip shifting to reach the Spyder Hole.

Carry Location also plays a role. Carrying in a front pocket, TU/TD is a wash. Carry AIWB by the front belt buckle 1'ocklock, Tip Down is much better, and also allows the knife to be deployed with either hand; you lose that ability with TU. Back Pocket, Tip Up is the way, TD is awkward. Ditto IWB at the 4 oclock position, TU is preferable.

For these reasons I really appreciate Spyderco's 4 way clip designs, as I have actually alternated between TU/TD based on carry location.

However now I've kind of calcified in my preferences, and generally carry a Military or Ayoob AIWB, so like Tip Down as it allows both a faster draw and the ability to access the knife with either hand, which I think is really handy.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Did a similar poll a year ago with 74% voting for “Tip Up Right Hand” carry.

The April 2024 issue of the Spyderco byte newsletter has a very informative section on the subject called “Tip-Up Versus Tip-Down Carry”.

There is no best way! Personal preference dictates. My personal preference for Tip Up Right Hand carry is simply because I carry only small folders and like the safety of the blade against the pocket liner.

Tip-Up Versus Tip-Down Carry

Some arguments never die. In the firearms world, never-ending debates over topics like 9mm versus .45 and revolver versus semi-auto have sold gun magazines for decades. For knife enthusiasts, one comparable topic is the controversy over tip-up versus tip-down carry. Like most discussions of this type, the real answer ultimately depends upon well-informed personal preference, so the goal of this article is to provide a basis for “well informed.”

First, let’s make sure we’re all on the same page regarding terminology. A folding knife’s clip “orientation” refers to the direction of the blade’s tip when the knife is in the closed position and clipped to the pocket. As such, “tip-up” carry means the tip of the closed blade points upward and “tip-down” carry means the blade tip points downward. This orientation is determined by the end of the handle to which the clip is attached. If mounted to the pivot-pin end, you get tip-down carry. Attached to the butt end, you get tip-up carry. These terms apply equally whether the knife is carried on the left or right sides of the body—provided its design offers these options.

With that clear, let’s objectively examine the advantages and disadvantages of each orientation. To do that, it’s important to realize and accept the fact that they are ultimately driven by four primary factors: the size of the knife, the size of your hand, the height of the clip’s position on the handle, and your preferred opening method. Two of these—the size of your hand and your opening technique—can vary significantly from person to person. Since they are not absolute, there is no absolute, definitive answer to this question.

Tip-Down Carry
Let’s begin with tip-down carry because that’s where Spyderco began when Sal Glesser pioneered the concept of the clip-carried, one-hand-opening folding knife back in 1981. All early CLIPIT® knives had stainless steel handles and were configured for one carry position only—right-side, tip-down carry or, for the few dedicated left-handed models we made, mirror-image, left-side, tip-down carry. One significant advantage of this approach—especially since pocket clips and one-hand opening via our Trademark Round Hole™ were brand-new concepts back then—was that the mechanics of drawing and opening our early knives were fundamentally the same.

Even though our early models did have different handle and blade lengths, if you compare the pivot-pin ends of the knives, you’ll see that the critical dimensions of the Round Hole, its radius from the pivot pin, and the height of carry afforded by the tip-down clip were all very consistent. As such, no matter which one of the early models you might own or what your hand size might be, the “user experience” was fundamentally the same. When you’re building a new, innovative brand, that’s a very smart move.

Drawing and opening a knife configured for tip-down carry generally works like this: Drive your thumb into your pocket between the knife and your body as you grip the outer surface of the clip with your index and middle fingers. Using a pinch grip, lift the knife up out of your pocket and rotate the handle into your hand. This will leave your thumb positioned very close to the blade’s Trademark Round Hole so the full extension of your thumb will open the blade fully. Using the tips of your fingers to anchor the handle to the top of your palm (at the base of your fingers), index your thumb in the blade hole and drive straight forward to open the blade.

Another reason early Spyderco knives were tip-down carry was that this carry position also facilitates an alternate opening method. Sometimes called the “Spydie Drop,” it involves pinch gripping the blade’s Round Hole, drawing the knife, pointing the handle butt upward, and then swinging the handle down to open the blade. Once open, you reposition the knife in your hand to achieve a using grip. Although shown in the classic out-of-print book The Spyderco Story and still widely used by old-school Spyderco users, this method is no longer formally recommended as it affords less positive control over the knife during the opening process. Nevertheless, the Spydie Drop also did not discriminate based on hand size.

On the positive side, tip-down carry offers a universal “manual of arms” for both large and small knives and easily accommodates users with different sized hands. Some knife enthusiasts also believe it allows gravity to help keep the blade safely closed in the pocket; however, this function is best determined by the strength of the lock mechanism’s detent function.

The primary disadvantages of tip-down carry are that, at least in the initial stages of the draw, it offers minimal surface contact between your fingertips and the knife’s handle. Some knife users mitigate this by carrying the knife further forward in the pocket and achieving a pinch grip from behind the handle, but this practice can make it harder to use the pocket for other items and may make the carry position of the knife less consistent. Tip-down carry also requires you to adjust your grip on the knife after drawing, but before opening the blade. This fine motor skill is very perishable under stress. Finally, if your preferred blade-opening method happens to be an Emerson Opening Feature, or “wave,” it simply doesn’t work with tip-down carry.

Tip-Up Carry
To draw and open a knife carried in the tip-up position, first drive your thumb as deep as possible into your pocket between the knife and your body. Grip the outer surface of the clip with your index and middle fingers and apply a pinch grip on the handle using as much surface area of your thumb as possible. Maintaining this grip, lift the knife up out of your pocket. Your thumb should already be positioned very close to the blade’s Round Hole. Using the tips of your fingers to anchor the handle to the top of your palm (at the base of your fingers), index your thumb in the blade hole and drive straight forward to open the blade fully. Then assume a using grip.

The primary advantages of tip-up carry are that you have much more surface area of your hand in contact with the handle during deployment and, if all other factors are in balance, you don’t have to adjust your grip on the handle prior to opening the blade. Together, these elements make knife deployment from tip-up carry simpler and more positive than from tip-down carry.

The “catch” comes when the “other factors”—knife size, hand size, and height of carry—are not in proper balance. For example, imagine you have small hands and are accustomed to carrying a Delica® 4 in the tip-up position. With the knife’s standard clip mounted to the butt end of the handle, you reach into your pocket, draw your knife, and your thumb is perfectly positioned for an immediate opening every time. The key factors are in balance and life is good.

However, imagine you suddenly notice a shiny new Military™ 2 for sale and can’t resist. You configure its four-position clip for tip-up carry, clip the knife to your pocket, and reach in to draw. As it comes out of the pocket, you realize that your small-sized hand is only gripping the lower half of the handle and your thumb is nowhere near the Round Hole. To open the knife, you must now do some serious repositioning of your hand on the handle to reach the blade hole and have adequate range of motion to open it. That doesn’t mean tip-up carry is wrong or that the Military 2’s design or clip mounting position are flawed. It just means that, together, those elements do not fit your smaller hands.

Undaunted, you go back to your trusty Delica 4, but decide to treat yourself by tricking it out with an aftermarket deep-pocket carry clip. You remove the stock clip, put the new clip in its place, and tuck the knife discreetly into your pocket. Then, you reach in to deploy it with your well-practiced draw only to find that, once again, your thumb falls short of the blade’s Round Hole. What happened? By choosing a clip that lowered the knife’s position in your pocket, the initial grip you could achieve during your draw also changed. Although your knife and your hand were still compatibly sized, the deep-pocket clip lowered the knife’s height of carry in your pocket. Once again, your deployment necessitates a grip adjustment between drawing and opening the blade.

If you understand these dynamics and take them into consideration when choosing a knife, tip-up carry can make deployment simple, swift, and reliable. If you carry your knife all the way to the rear of your pocket, the pressure of the corner of the pocket can also back up the lock’s detent to guarantee the blade stays closed. And, if your preferred deployment tactic is to use an Emerson Opener, tip-up carry is the only way to go.

Unfortunately, for users with smaller hands who prefer to carry larger knives, tip-up carry may not be a good choice. At the very least, it requires a deliberate grip adjustment between drawing and opening—exactly as tip-down carry does.

Personal Preference
The pros and cons explained above are based on an objective, performance-based analysis. The performance criteria are the ease, speed, simplicity, and positivity with which end users can draw and immediately open knives with specific clip orientations or accessories. If you carry a knife for defensive or other emergency use, these criteria should be relevant. If, however, you feel you have absolutely no need to ever deploy your knife quickly under stress, that’s fine. Your opinions on tip-up or tip-down carry and the use of fobs are therefore based purely on personal preference. The First Amendment certainly entitles you to those opinions and your right to express them, but remember, it doesn’t make them any “righter” than anyone else’s.

The ultimate definition of what’s “right” is what works for your needs, your preferences, and your hand size. The deeper your understanding of the factors that affect that decision, the more confident you can be in your personal choice.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I struggle with Endura and PM2 size knives. I try til up but always go back to tip down. Especially for back pocket carry.

Working on keeping my Endura tip up for a while to see if I can adapt. Anything smaller and tip up is fine.
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

Tip down. When Spyderco decided to not put tip-down holes in the Bodacious, even though they are there in the Shaman, they lost a sale.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Interesting, I did not know they left out the holes by the pivot on the Bodacious. That makes me even more interested in it. I do not like unused holes all over the scales. It is one reason I prefer aftermarket scales. They just look cleaner. Except on the Military. I think it looks great even though it is tip down only and not my preference. I just switch the Military to my back right pocket and it works great.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:36 pm
Interesting, I did not know they left out the holes by the pivot on the Bodacious. That makes me even more interested in it. I do not like unused holes all over the scales. It is one reason I prefer aftermarket scales. They just look cleaner. Except on the Military. I think it looks great even though it is tip down only and not my preference. I just switch the Military to my back right pocket and it works great.
I didn't realize that about the Bodacious either.

Ideally, I'd prefer there just be one clip location on a knife, but I'm not going to complain about there being holes there for all the options. I'm not left handed, so I really have it pretty good. :cheap-sunglasses

I do particularly like ambi-ish knives with the wire clip. The two slots on the other side for the ambi clip don't detract from the appearance in the least. Knives with the wire clip generally are a bit more handsome due to the lack of all the extra holes, but they are mostly all tip up.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

With a little over a hundred votes in
slightly more than half are tip up.
I thought it would be higher.
Thank you for playing
and keep voting and commenting.

Here is a display of most of my Spyderco knives.
(I've sold only one which I now regret, and given away eight.)
Note that all of them have the clip on the reverse side.
(The Spyderco bug is on the obverse side.)

The ones with the clip near the pivot carry tip down.
A clip near the tail carries tip up.

Some, like the vintage tip down SS Mariner and Renegade
and more recent tip up CF Rubicon and CF EuroEdge
have only one location provided for the clip.

The early generation tip up Endura SE
has the clip molded into the FRN.
It rode in my pocket for about 25 years
before I started collecting.
As a result, tip up is ingrained in my muscle memory.
At 76, it's the only muscle or memory I have left.

Last edited by Mad Mac on Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cjk wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:28 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:36 pm
I didn't realize that about the Bodacious either.

Ideally, I'd prefer there just be one clip location on a knife, but I'm not going to complain about there being holes there for all the options. I'm not left handed, so I really have it pretty good. :cheap-sunglasses

I do particularly like ambi-ish knives with the wire clip. The two slots on the other side for the ambi clip don't detract from the appearance in the least. Knives with the wire clip generally are a bit more handsome due to the lack of all the extra holes, but they are mostly all tip up.
Great point on the wire clips. Never thought about that, but you are correct. No holes, just a screw or insert pin. Whatever it is called.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:58 pm
With a little over a hundred votes in slightly more than half are tip up.
If the poll was only tip-up and tip-down the percentage would likely have been higher.
derangedhermit wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:18 pm
When Spyderco decided to not put tip-down holes in the Bodacious, even though they are there in the Shaman, they lost a sale.
Buy one and learn to use it. My most carried knives are tip down PM2 and tip up Manix 2.
cjk

Post by cjk »

A question for the masters,

Were the Dyad models tip down or tip up?

:winking-tongue
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

bdblue wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:18 pm
derangedhermit wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:18 pm
When Spyderco decided to not put tip-down holes in the Bodacious, even though they are there in the Shaman, they lost a sale.
Buy one and learn to use it. My most carried knives are tip down PM2 and tip up Manix 2.
I have several knives that can go either way, and some that are tip up only. The only tip up knife that sees daily carry has a fantastic 2.3mm (0.09 inch) thick, 3.5" blade that cuts very very well, and it only weighs 2.1 oz, so it overcomes my strong preference for tip-down because of its other features.

I can understand makers of crossbar lock knives going tip-up only. A back lock Bodacious, tip down carry, would be a fantastic knife for me.
Treading Rightly

Post by Treading Rightly »

Tip down for me unless it’s not an option. It’s personal preference of course. Mainly, tip down doesn’t require switching the clip to change pockets. When I’d be at work, my holster would cover my pocket and mar the **** out of my pocket clip, and sometimes catch it and yank on it. So tip down allowed me to switch pockets on duty and then again off duty without needing to change the clip. Sure I could carry different knives but I didn’t want the inconvenience of having to be that mindful of what’s in my pocket. Add to that my first carry knife on duty back in the early 2000s was a Military, I just got used to it.

These days, I have a few knives set up lefty and a few righty, that are tip up. But my Spyderco and Hinderer are top down. Plus if I am doing something that requires I put my knife away quickly, with tip down, it doesn’t matter what pocket you put it in.