Is there a quintessential Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joelc73

Is there a quintessential Spyderco?

Post by Joelc73 »

I’m new to all of this but wondering if there is one, quintessential representation of the brand. What’s the model most synonymous with Spyderco? Thanks!
p_atrick

Re: Is there a quintessential Spyderco?

Post by p_atrick »

Too many good ones to select just a single representative.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I’d vote the Delica or Endura.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Yeah, sort of.
To me, the quintessential Spyderco styling is evident in the lightweight Delica/Endela/Endura/Police knives. They have the handle, blade, lock, and ergonomics, that shout, "Spyderco!" The primarily differences are the size of each knife. But from afar, they look alike.

What's nice is that each of the knives might be available in different blade configurations and steels. No matter the users' preferences, they'll be able to find one of these knives to fit their particular needs. But because of these subtle differences, there can never be "one."

Here are a Delica, two Enduras, and two Police.

IMG_5234.jpeg
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Probably the Delica or Endura but, to me personally, the quintessential Spyderco is the C36 Military Model.
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

I think I agree on Delica/Endura line.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joelc73 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:17 pm
I’m new to all of this but wondering if there is one, quintessential representation of the brand. What’s the model most synonymous with Spyderco? Thanks!

That´s a tough one, but good question...

I am definitely not the most knowledgable person here when it comes to Spydercos history and background, but that said:

Two approaches to your question come to my mind:

1.) Which models are closest today to the first Spyderco produced, the Worker?
- This would indeed be a model like the Delica imo

2.) Which models incorporate most of features Spyderco invented or which are at least very "spyderco-ish"?
Here I´d name for example
- The Para 3 LW - linerless, but sturdy FRN handle, comp.lock, finger choil, wire clip...
- Or the Manix 2 LW: Linerless, sturdy (in one model translucent) FRCP, CBB - lock, also finer choil and wire clip, emphasis on ergos and usability more than on looks and slimmest carry, ...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

There’s a strong argument to be made that the calypso/caly knife series is the epitome of the spyderco design philosophy. it basically has all the design elements and characteristics Spyderco(Sal) has developed and used the most throughout the history of their in-house designs. A streamline/compact carry profile- something spyderco came out of the gate doing with their first pocket knives like the worker etc. leaf shape blade, the blade shape sal/spyderco has used and developed the most on their knives. A finger choil and thumbramp feature, which are also features on the majority of their folders. And a high quality mid back lock. The lock they’ve used the most throughout their history.

Not a lot of the knife community out there really gets the pride behind the design of the calypso/caly knives
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Interesting. I was just thinking that there are so many models. I was curious which one was THE one. My analogy would be when you think of Porsche, you think of a 911 even though there are many great models. If that makes sense.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Delica 4.

Although the Paramilitary 2 might also meet the OPs criteria.
-Nick :bug-red
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

Still in production and/or readily available?

Delica 4. Final answer.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Joelc73 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:55 pm
when you think of Porsche, you think of a 911

Not around here we don't.
When someone mentions Porsche, the only one that comes to mind is the 718 Spyder.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.41.35 PM.jpg
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:44 pm
Joelc73 wrote:
when you think of Porsche, you think of a 911

Not around here we don't.
When someone mentions Porsche, the only one that comes to mind is the 718 Spyder.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.41.35 PM.jpg
Ha! Guards Red 911 jumps in my head. But what do I know — my wife tells me I’m a marketer’s dream!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:27 pm
Yeah, sort of.
To me, the quintessential Spyderco styling is evident in the lightweight Delica/Endela/Endura/Police knives. They have the handle, blade, lock, and ergonomics, that shout, "Spyderco!" The primarily differences are the size of each knife. But from afar, they look alike.

What's nice is that each of the knives might be available in different blade configurations and steels. No matter the users' preferences, they'll be able to find one of these knives to fit their particular needs. But because of these subtle differences, there can never be "one."

Here are a Delica, two Enduras, and two Police.

IMG_5234.jpeg
I have to agree , longevity, practical , and all could fit in anyone’s needs . Great foundation for anyone starting out with Spyderco knives . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

To me, it is the C07S stainless Police Model. There's a reason it has been in continuous production for 40 years.

Danke

Post by Danke »

For Spyderco the Endura/Delica series is a good representation. I would lean to the PM2 though because it has the clip, the spidie hole, and the compression lock. So three Spyderco innovations on the same knife.

For Porsche there can only be one.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Joelc73 wrote:
Interesting. I was just thinking that there are so many models. I was curious which one was THE one. My analogy would be when you think of Porsche, you think of a 911 even though there are many great models. If that makes sense.
I admit I'm biased but if you thinking Porsche Design, look no further than the Spyderco Native Chief. To me this is the best designed most artistic looking Spyderco knife.

I must own 10 of them and I am trying to collect them all, some I want 2 or 3 copies.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Danke wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:48 pm
For Spyderco the Endura/Delica series is a good representation. I would lean to the PM2 though because it has the clip, the spidie hole, and the compression lock. So three Spyderco innovations on the same knife.

For Porsche there can only be one.
I like Porsche Design. If it weren't for Porsche how would dentists get to work! :winking-tongue

The best Porsche is a Ferrari! :party-face
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Delica 4 or Native 5
JBoone

Post by JBoone »

Delica/Endura but I have owned them since the 90s. Still love the FRN lock backs, especially in K390. This is what comes to mind when I think classic (I refer to the FRN family as “old school new school”). Has stood the test of time.

My last knife purchased after a year between purchases was last week. K390 stretch 2.
My Endella (in same steel) gets carried the most lately and I wanted to experience something similar.

I have gifted quite a few Delica/Endura over the years and is what I recommend to a “non knife person”. I have too many edcs but I tend to carry the Endella these days over anything else.
Last edited by JBoone on Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.