Is there a quintessential Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Re: Is there a quintessential Spyderco?

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:44 am
benja-man wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:17 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:38 am
By design, these knives encapsulate the spyderco design philosophy the most. Not going by my opinion or preference, but by actually observing and taking their in house design history into account.
Also another reason I forgot to add previously, made in Japan, historically I would say spyderco has produced most of their models in Japan. So There’s another reason. First model to use vg10 was the c54 calypso, vg10… probably the most synonymous steel with spyderco. Ig only the real afi’s understand, which are few and far between
What are we looking at here? All Calys of various variants?
Top to bottom: C54 Calypso, C144 Caly 3.5, C52 Calypso Jr in Micarta, C114 Caly 3 and C52 Calypso Jr. in FRN

A few others
Thanks for the picture, there’s even more variants but that looks like most of em. My picture wasn’t necessarily trying to show off all the variants but rather all the designs currently apart of the calypso series.

Just to note: I see a lot of people talking about different interpretations of quintessential, to me a knife that represents the brand the most isn’t all about what model they’ve sold the most, that plays a factor, but it’s not necessarily the entire part of it. Most popular sellers and most representative are different things. It’s the design that carries the knife at the end of the day. So If we’re talking about a design that represents spyderco’s design style the most, it would be a design with features they’ve most commonly used and refined on their knives throughout the brands history, which indisputably is the calypso/caly design concept
:bug-red-white
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

That was just an old picture of my Calypso family. If you want something that spans their history, the stainless Police Model is as close as it gets.
Synov

Post by Synov »

This may be controversial, but I think the Military 2 is currently the quintessential Spyderco, representing its current design language. Sorry Boomers ;)
Visualizing the Tradeoff of Higher Hardness
S90V: Manix XL CF Yojumbo CF Shaman CF Native 5 Fluted CF CPM-154/S90V: Manix 2 Magnacut: Native 5 Fluted Ti Damasteel: Native 5 40th Anniversary ZDP-189: Dragonfly 2 Nishijin N690Co: PITS XHP: Chaparral Birdseye Maple
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

The Delica suggestions are spot on. It is the quentissial medium pocket knife. Consider the steel and grab K390 if you can find it if you aren’t worried about a bit of patina and know how to take care of it. It’s a tough little knife but if you desire a bit tougher the Native will do it with just a bit more bulk and weight but this knife is rock solid. Mine I’d Spy27 which has proven to be quite tough as well.
However when I can find a smaller model with huge capabilities with the ergonomics to back it up the incredible little Dragonfly stole my heart. Mine goes into wilderness canyon and mountains several times a week and is up to it.
All three make excellent slicers, even the thicker stock Native. Any flat ground Spyderco will work super well. I’m not a big folder kind of guy and have owned a carried a Spyderco brand for 34 years. Others here who favor the bigger folders can help guide you there. Me, I travel light and fast and the models shown here will not disappoint. Spyderco offers a wider range of steels than anyone out there so take advantage. Start Delica in the high end particle technology carbon tool steel K390 and you should be extremely happy. Branch out from there.

Left to right, Dragonfly, Delica and Native
IMG_4674.jpeg
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:45 pm
There’s a strong argument to be made that the calypso/caly knife series is the epitome of the spyderco design philosophy. it basically has all the design elements and characteristics Spyderco(Sal) has developed and used the most throughout the history of their in-house designs. A streamline/compact carry profile- something spyderco came out of the gate doing with their first pocket knives like the worker etc. leaf shape blade, the blade shape sal/spyderco has used and developed the most on their knives. A finger choil and thumbramp feature, which are also features on the majority of their folders. And a high quality mid back lock. The lock they’ve used the most throughout their history.

Not a lot of the knife community out there really gets the pride behind the design of the calypso/caly knives
I second this.
Stay sharp!
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

For me it would be the Native 5. It's the model (and family of models) that seems to be the heart and soul of Spyderco.

There's a good argument for the Endura & Military families as well.

From a general perception angle, it's the PM2 by a mile.
Brian
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

For me it's the worker. That knife completely changed the definition of "pocketknife" and it's the image in my head when someone says "Spyderco".
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

For me as someone who has been using Spydercos for a like 15 years it is the Delica 4 K390 : (1) showcases typical Spyderco design; (2) long standing model that has received CQI improvements like the full flat gring blade, bidirectional textured FRN and the 4 position clip; (3) shows Spyderco leading the market with super steels; (4) encompasses the "high performance," "function over form," and "made for the hand and not the eye" sort of ethos.

But for the enthusiast who likes cool knives and isn't particularly into Spyderco, I think the PM2 is the quintessential representative of modern Spyderco.

I'd guess that at least 3/4 of people think of a PM2 or a Delica when you say "Spyderco knife."
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

The endura or delica. Legendary knives been around for ever!...
JBoone

Post by JBoone »

Ryder wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:55 am
The Delica suggestions are spot on. It is the quentissial medium pocket knife. Consider the steel and grab K390 if you can find it if you aren’t worried about a bit of patina and know how to take care of it. It’s a tough little knife but if you desire a bit tougher the Native will do it with just a bit more bulk and weight but this knife is rock solid. Mine I’d Spy27 which has proven to be quite tough as well.
However when I can find a smaller model with huge capabilities with the ergonomics to back it up the incredible little Dragonfly stole my heart. Mine goes into wilderness canyon and mountains several times a week and is up to it.
All three make excellent slicers, even the thicker stock Native. Any flat ground Spyderco will work super well. I’m not a big folder kind of guy and have owned a carried a Spyderco brand for 34 years. Others here who favor the bigger folders can help guide you there. Me, I travel light and fast and the models shown here will not disappoint. Spyderco offers a wider range of steels than anyone out there so take advantage. Start Delica in the high end particle technology carbon tool steel K390 and you should be extremely happy. Branch out from there.

Left to right, Dragonfly, Delica and Native

IMG_4674.jpeg
The fact that K390 is offered in so many knives is awesome, and I am a fan of that family of knives. I gifted my Delica 390 to a good friend but still have an Endella, endura, and stretch 2. Having said that I had better get another Delica.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ryder wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:55 am
...Others here who favor the bigger folders can help guide you there. Me, I travel light and fast...

Good points, but just as an addition:

These days Spyderco gives us options to "travel light and fast" also with "bigger folders":

Prime example:
Pac Salt ffg: Weighs just 1 gram more (72 g / 2.6 oz) than your Native 5 LW (71 g / 2.5 oz) but offers a lot more handle, blade and edge (but concerning size the Native of course is a more convenient carry).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Synov wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 am
This may be controversial, but I think the Military 2 is currently the quintessential Spyderco, representing its current design language. Sorry Boomers ;)
Agreed.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

weeping minora wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:24 pm
Synov wrote:
Agreed.
Completely subjective, but to me it then would rather be the Stretch XL LW:

In some aspects pretty similar to the Millie 2 designwise, but has that sturdy, linerless, light FRN with the typical FRN benefit of better contouring.

Also, as I always say: Heavier, linered G10 knives are great and Spyderco does those extremely well.
But that combination of light weight but sturdy built Spyderco excels in with their great, linerless FRN models imo shows the "art of folder making" and true innovation even more... and those things could arguably be called "quintessential Spyderco"..
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:11 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Synov wrote:
Agreed.
Completely subjective, but to me it then would rather be the Stretch XL LW:

In some aspects pretty similar to the Millie 2 designwise, but has that sturdy, linerless, light FRN with the typical FRN benefit of better contouring.

Also, as I always say: Heavier, linered G10 knives are great and Spyderco does those extremely well.
But that combination of light weight but sturdy built Spyderco excels in with their great, linerless FRN models imo shows the "art of folder making" and true innovation even more... and those things could arguably be called "quintessential Spyderco"..
The Stretch 2 XL is a great knife, too, but I feel the Military 2 is in a class above the S2XL.

The S2XL is not a knife that you can push as hard as you can the M2, and not just because of the handle material, or construction otherwise. We can reference the FRN handled version since you brought up the direct comparison. The thinner FRN handles of the S2XL LW are (much) less comfortable if and when you're applying force in your cutting. Even with the more contoured handle, the S2XL lacks the confidence of solid grip of the M2 in these sorts of forceful cutting situations. This makes the M2 more versatile in its usage, which gives the edge to the M2. To be frank, the M2 is the only real "hard use" pocket knife that I can actively think of, if it were pertinent for your pocket knife to withstand that sort of case useage. It stands up to its vision of design, intended use, and name.

Regardless the case usage, I'll go as far as to say that the M2 is more comfortable, more capable, and holds higher excellence of performance than any other pocket knife that I've used to date, within such a broad scope of use capability. Pocket knives just aren't hard use implements IMO, but the M2 is a shining beacon of light that offers that, if demanded out of your knife. The Military "1" stood alone amongst the tests of time for nearly three decades before the M2 was unleashed, where it currently still sits side-by-side as a peer variant. Whilst I prefer the lock and refinement of the M2, the longevity of the Military speaks volumes within a market that has shifted in favor of flickability, over usability. The Military model is the silent, quintessential Spyderco knife. It serves without demanding your recognition, and performs the thankless and underappreciated job of excellence, when those around them have gone dull, and are otherwise not up to the task.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

weeping minora wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:56 am
Wartstein wrote:
weeping minora wrote:
Synov wrote:
The Stretch 2 XL is a great knife, too, but I feel the Military 2 is in a class above the S2XL.

The S2XL is not a knife that you can push as hard as you can the M2, and not just because of the handle material, or construction otherwise. We can reference the FRN handled version since you brought up the direct comparison. The thinner FRN handles of the S2XL LW are (much) less comfortable if and when you're applying force in your cutting. Even with the more contoured handle, the S2XL lacks the confidence of solid grip of the M2 in these sorts of forceful cutting situations. This makes the M2 more versatile in its usage, which gives the edge to the M2. To be frank, the M2 is the only real "hard use" pocket knife that I can actively think of, if it were pertinent for your pocket knife to withstand that sort of case useage. It stands up to its vision of design, intended use, and name.

Regardless the case usage, I'll go as far as to say that the M2 is more comfortable, more capable, and holds higher excellence of performance than any other pocket knife that I've used to date, within such a broad scope of use capability. Pocket knives just aren't hard use implements IMO, but the M2 is a shining beacon of light that offers that, if demanded out of your knife. The Military "1" stood alone amongst the tests of time for nearly three decades before the M2 was unleashed, where it currently still sits side-by-side as a peer variant. Whilst I prefer the lock and refinement of the M2, the longevity of the Military speaks volumes within a market that has shifted in favor of flickability, over usability. The Military model is the silent, quintessential Spyderco knife. It serves without demanding your recognition, and performs the thankless and underappreciated job of excellence, when those around them have gone dull, and are otherwise not up to the task.
You are definitely right that in a deliberate "hard use test" the Stretch XL LW would fail earlier than the Millie 2.
To me though mostly due to the linerless FRN handle, and then due to the a bit thinner blade and I think also a tad finer tip (the Stretch 2 original (linered FRN, strong tip shape) would "beat" the Millie imo).
That said: This would have to be a test that for the most part would have to exceed what people actually do with their folders, even in "hard use".

Beyond that, I have to disagree respectfully:

- "Millie 2 the ONLY "hard use" pocket knife you can actively think of": Sorry, but: Really?!

To me there are Spydies that are clearly more "hard use" than the Millie - Shaman? Endura sabre grind? Just two examples.

I have only experience with the Millie 1, but there are general Millie-features that do not lend themselves towards " the Millie is the ONLY" hard use knife: Especially the very fine tip, but also the rather thin blade (tapering) - again, I am talking about "crazy" hard use.
Here an Endura sabre grind (blade and tip) would blow a Millie out of the water (to be clear: In the actual cutting I do I´d definitely prefer the ffg Millie blade).

The Mille 2 has the additional con (to me) of the comp.lock: Like quite some folks have pointed out already: A comp.lock cutout often makes for a hotspot when really bearing down on the handle (not so the linerlock - in my experience at least).

Also, I do find what you call "thin, contoured FRN handles" clearly more comfortable than the blocky G10. A Stretch 2 (linered FRN, but as thin as the Stretch LW) handle "beats" a PM2 handle any day of the week in my use, as does an Endura handle "beat" a Millie handle (Millie 1, I never tried a "2", but as said: The comp.lock most likely would not make things better for me).

Don´t get me wrong, all four mentioned knives (Stretch LW, PM2, Endura, Millie) have great ergos and are amazing, but to me the contoured FRN is just superior (in several capacities).

/ My point though was anyway more like:
- Spyderco does G10 with liners extremely well, but this is something many brands can more or less.
- The "real art" and innovation (and this to me is "essential Spyderco") imo shows more in making really light, but still strong folders - like their linerless FRN models.

Just my 2c. As many times there is no "right or wrong", and concerning the topic of this thread there really can´t be. Very subjective matter!
JBoone

Post by JBoone »

weeping minora wrote:
Synov wrote:
Gen X! :tonque-out

And I will be adding a Military 2 as well when I find the steel/handle combo that grabs me. I have the RIL carbon S90V exclusive Millie (my only Millie) and really dig it!
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:49 am
weeping minora wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
weeping minora wrote:

You are definitely right that in a deliberate "hard use test" the Stretch XL LW would fail earlier than the Millie 2.
To me though mostly due to the linerless FRN handle, and then due to the a bit thinner blade and I think also a tad finer tip (the Stretch 2 original (linered FRN, strong tip shape) would "beat" the Millie imo).
That said: This would have to be a test that for the most part would have to exceed what people actually do with their folders, even in "hard use".

Beyond that, I have to disagree respectfully:

- "Millie 2 the ONLY "hard use" pocket knife you can actively think of": Sorry, but: Really?!

To me there are Spydies that are clearly more "hard use" than the Millie - Shaman? Endura sabre grind? Just two examples.

I have only experience with the Millie 1, but there are general Millie-features that do not lend themselves towards " the Millie is the ONLY" hard use knife: Especially the very fine tip, but also the rather thin blade (tapering) - again, I am talking about "crazy" hard use.
Here an Endura sabre grind (blade and tip) would blow a Millie out of the water (to be clear: In the actual cutting I do I´d definitely prefer the ffg Millie blade).

The Mille 2 has the additional con (to me) of the comp.lock: Like quite some folks have pointed out already: A comp.lock cutout often makes for a hotspot when really bearing down on the handle (not so the linerlock - in my experience at least).

Also, I do find what you call "thin, contoured FRN handles" clearly more comfortable than the blocky G10. A Stretch 2 (linered FRN, but as thin as the Stretch LW) handle "beats" a PM2 handle any day of the week in my use, as does an Endura handle "beat" a Millie handle (Millie 1, I never tried a "2", but as said: The comp.lock most likely would not make things better for me).

Don´t get me wrong, all four mentioned knives (Stretch LW, PM2, Endura, Millie) have great ergos and are amazing, but to me the contoured FRN is just superior (in several capacities).

/ My point though was anyway more like:
- Spyderco does G10 with liners extremely well, but this is something many brands can more or less.
- The "real art" and innovation (and this to me is "essential Spyderco") imo shows more in making really light, but still strong folders - like their linerless FRN models.

Just my 2c. As many times there is no "right or wrong", and concerning the topic of this thread there really can´t be. Very subjective matter!
Really.

I went on further to explain that I do not see pocket knives as hard use implements, so I would never consider to seek out and use a folder that was designed for outright hard use from explicit design implementation. I will not spread misinformation from a biased viewpoint of a product that I have not, nor do I have, the inclination to use; per your e.g. the Shaman, or Saber Ground Endura. I find that the M2 actively is in a class of its own when it comes to performing light duty, thru hard use tasks, exceptionally well on all accounts. No other folder holds that high performance for such a wide range of use cases, that I've used to date. That it's exceptionally comfortable is a huge reference, because who would want to reach for and use a tool that is uncomfortable?

The other points are much more a debate on semantics and trivial personal biases that don't really have much value for further nitpicking. You like what you like, and I'm happy for you. :clinking-mugs
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

weeping minora wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:55 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:49 am
weeping minora wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Really.

I went on further to explain that I do not see pocket knives as hard use implements, so I would never consider to seek out and use a folder that was designed for outright hard use from explicit design implementation. I will not spread misinformation from a biased viewpoint of a product that I have not, nor do I have, the inclination to use; per your e.g. the Shaman, or Saber Ground Endura. I find that the M2 actively is in a class of its own when it comes to performing light duty, thru hard use tasks, exceptionally well on all accounts. No other folder holds that high performance for such a wide range of use cases, that I've used to date. That it's exceptionally comfortable is a huge reference, because who would want to reach for and use a tool that is uncomfortable?

The other points are much more a debate on semantics and trivial personal biases that don't really have much value for further nitpicking. You like what you like, and I'm happy for you. :clinking-mugs

Thanks for your positive and constructive reply. Shows the spirit of this forum when folks disagree in a friendly, respectful and not personal way! I am happy for you too that you found what YOU really like and the Millie is a great and certainly also "quintessential" Spydie indeed! :clinking-mugs

Just for clarity: As you might know to me for example the Chaparral FRN is a little hard use folder (for its small size), despite many would describe it as a "light duty gents knife". Like you with the Millie, I came to this conclusion trough a lot of experience, usage and tests.

HERE though I was merely talking about that kind of silly hard use where the only goal is to push a knife beyond the limits most peole will never come even close to in real use. This - with not a lot practical relevanve - is where I think a sturdy tip sabre grind blade would fare better than a fine tip ffg blade, and so I figured the Millie - to me (!!) - can´t be the only hard use folder.

Anyway, let´s leave it with this, I completely get and respect what you mean!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

It has to be Delica for me, closely followed by the SS Police.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Joelc73 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:17 pm
I’m new to all of this but wondering if there is one, quintessential representation of the brand. What’s the model most synonymous with Spyderco? Thanks!
I think the "quintessential Spyderco" is probably the Endura or the Delica. They've been in continuous production since 1990, and are two of the company's most popular designs. And while I don't have any sales figures to back this up, I'm willing to bet that between, say, 1990 and maybe the mid-2010s, most people buying their first Spyderco probably bought either a Delica or an Endura. In their standard form, they also have blade shapes that are somewhat peculiar to Spyderco, and incorporate features that—while not exclusive to Spyderco—have come to be associated with the brand, such as the 4-way mounting options for the pocket clip and a mid-mounted backlock with a Boye dent.

The Police has been in production for much longer (this year marks the 40th anniversary of the Police's debut), but it isn't as popular as the Delica or Endura, I think.

Other models that can lay a legitimate claim to the title of quintessential Spyderco, IMO, are the Para Military, Dragonfly, and Native. Ultimately though, I think this is one of those "YMMV"-types of questions. It all depends on what one considers to be the defining aspects of the Spyderco brand.