Where Artificial Intelligence Is Right Now

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Where Artificial Intelligence Is Right Now

Post by James Y »

This is another reason why people need to get smarter and think for themselves, instead of jumping on whichever manipulative, divisive bandwagon echoes their own confirmation biases.

But most people probably won't be willing or able to, because when getting all up in their emotions, the vast majority of people (on all sides) will double down and become even easier to manipulate, and become even more divided.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:59 am
This is another reason why people need to get smarter and think for themselves, instead of jumping on whichever manipulative, divisive bandwagon echoes their own confirmation biases.

But most people probably won't be willing or able to, because when getting all up in their emotions, the vast majority of people (on all sides) will double down and become even easier to manipulate, and become even more divided.

Jim

Yup, the human race will in the end smart themselves into extinction one way or another.

Confirmation bias is the biggest problem that we face today, it's intentional ignorance really. I see it every day on my FB feed, how stupid people have become, more so in the last say 8 years or so than ever before. The really sad thing is these people are allowed to procreate spreading their stupid genes around even more.

It just blows my mind how they got to be that stupid and ignorant in such a short time.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:31 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Yup, the human race will in the end smart themselves into extinction one way or another.

Confirmation bias is the biggest problem that we face today, it's intentional ignorance really. I see it every day on my FB feed, how stupid people have become, more so in the last say 8 years or so than ever before. The really sad thing is these people are allowed to procreate spreading their stupid genes around even more.

It just blows my mind how they got to be that stupid and ignorant in such a short time.

Jim

I agree, although I don't know if people like that became that way in a short period of time, or if they were always that way, and it's only become more obvious in recent years.

Most people consider themselves immune to cult mentality, or joining a cult. But in fact, many exhibit cult mentality around their own confirmation biases, and the talking heads who espouse them.

Unfortunately, as AI continues to evolve, I suspect that this stuff will continue to ramp up.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:19 am
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:31 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim

I agree, although I don't know if people like that became that way in a short period of time, or if they were always that way, and it's only become more obvious in recent years.

Most people consider themselves immune to cult mentality, or joining a cult. But in fact, many exhibit cult mentality around their own confirmation biases, and the talking heads who espouse them.

Unfortunately, as AI continues to evolve, I suspect that this stuff will continue to ramp up.

Jim

Jim,

It's possible they were always that way I suppose. ;)

I do agree the cult mentality has gotten much worse lately for sure, nothing good will come out of that.

Confirmation Bias and the talking heads... Big problems. :eye-roll

Jim
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:16 pm
I mean, A.I. only know what they are programmed to know.

Just a thought.
IMO, this assumption won't be applicable once Humanity successfully develops a true AI (i.e. once AI achieves general intelligence). With the ability to think, learn and reason on its own, it isn't going to be confined to arbitrary rules of conduct for long.
--Jeremy
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

kerrcobra wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:23 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Just a thought.
IMO, this assumption won't be applicable once Humanity successfully develops a true AI (i.e. once AI achieves general intelligence). With the ability to think, learn and reason on its own, it isn't going to be confined to arbitrary rules of conduct for long.

Yeah that's the general idea. :O
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:

Jim
Biases play into it, but 100% of the people online can be duped into following and clicking that like or repost button.

Social media is tricky.

- How carefully do you respond to someone on social media?
- Do you "follow" anyone at all? Do you follow someone that you agree with 50% of the time or 100% of the time? Do you unfollow people the first time they say something that you do not agree with, or do you just not "like" and "repost" their post?
- Follows, likes and reposts add value to an account. Do you notice that people with a lot of followers hardly ever follow anyone else? People are aloof and don't get in the comments and discuss their posts. They ignore comments on their posts... watch the powerful accounts and see how they handle social media (X/Twitter, FaceBook, Instagram, YouTube, Rumble, ...).
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

kerrcobra wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Just a thought.
I disagree. Even if such advancement happens, it is already in the genes, so to speak. Added to that is the saying, "Train up a child in the way in which he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." No one is programming proper morality into these things, but quite the opposite. We are in deep kimchi.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:09 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
Biases play into it, but 100% of the people online can be duped into following and clicking that like or repost button.

Social media is tricky.

- Do you "follow" anyone at all? Do you follow someone that you agree with 50% of the time or 100% of the time? Do you unfollow people the first time they say something that you do not agree with, or do you just not "like" and "repost" their post?
- Follows, likes and reposts add value to an account. Do you notice that people with a lot of followers hardly ever follow anyone else? People are aloof and don't get in the comments and discuss their posts. They ignore comments on their posts... watch the powerful accounts and see how they handle social media (X/Twitter, FaceBook, Instagram, YouTube, Rumble, ...).

There are channels I watch (no subscriptions, though), but I've never met or heard any person in my lifetime who I've agreed with 100% on any subject. In fact, some whose channels I watch regularly I don't agree with on a lot of things, but I listen anyway, if the subjects they cover are interesting or informative.

I respect someone's right to have different opinions from me, as long as said opinions don't negatively affect me in some way or other. Because nobody knows everything, and I'm open-minded enough to change my mind about something, if I discover that an opinion of mine about it is wrong. Although most of my opinions are based on personal experience and/or observations, some opinions do change or evolve over time.

I've stopped watching or listening to channels when I've lost interest, or if I discover there's been some type of dishonesty about subjects that are supposed to be true.

In keeping with the subject of this thread; if some channel uses AI-generated fictional accounts and passes them off as real, I avoid them forevermore. Some YT channels are also known to buy fake subscribers to boost their channels.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:39 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Just a thought.
I disagree. Even if such advancement happens, it is already in the genes, so to speak. Added to that is the saying, "Train up a child in the way in which he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." No one is programming proper morality into these things, but quite the opposite. We are in deep kimchi.

Proper morality by who's standard is the real question. ;)

And could be a real problem depending.

Certain current people's idea of proper morality would put us right back into the dark ages as an example. :eye-roll
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:09 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

Social media is tricky.

I really don't follow anyone (people) anymore.

On YT I subscribed to a few sports channels and gaming channels.

On FB I belong to a few knife groups.

Other than that, nadda. ;)

Now I have a ton of garbage that shows up on my FB feed from friends that do follow etc and then share that whack job stuff. :eye-roll

That said I slammed a few of them that were way down the rabbit hole and or unfriended them because I don't want to see that trash on my feed.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Don't run for the hills just yet! There is some time...

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Gotta love the cocaine tiger at 1:02

Made with A.I.

GPT4 (lyrics)
Suno (music)
Resemble (voice)
SyncLabs (performance)
Runway (film)
Fable (edit)
Midjourney (image)
Katalist (storyboard)
Topaz (up-res)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

shunsui wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:13 am

Gotta love the cocaine tiger at 1:02

Made with A.I.

GPT4 (lyrics)
Suno (music)
Resemble (voice)
SyncLabs (performance)
Runway (film)
Fable (edit)
Midjourney (image)
Katalist (storyboard)
Topaz (up-res)
Sounds just as good as most music made in the last decade! :star-struck
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Is Mark Zuckerberg becoming more human ?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Anyone ever think that in the Book of Revelation the AntiChrist and False prophet make the image of the beast which is an A.I.? "And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even speak and cause all who do not worship the image of the beast to be killed" (Rev 13.15). I mean, A.I. only know what they are programmed to know.

Just a thought.
Nothing would surprise me at this point.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I look forward to Microsoft's investment into AI but it is hard to disagree with what Gary Marcus on Twitter said:

13.5 months post GPT-4:

• Models that are not as good as GPT-4 have become widespread.

• Models that are roughly as good GPT-4 have become common.

• Models that are significantly better than GPT-4 don’t exist.

If that doesn’t hint at diminishing returns and potential convergence at an asymptote absent a breakthrough, what would?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Art and Science of Prediction. Superforecasters are a reality and they help people, businesses and governments make decisions and plan strategies every day.

22 superforecasters with deep knowledge of artificial intelligence get together and talk about AI and where it is headed.

Roots of Disagreement on AI Risk: Exploring the Potential and Pitfalls of Adversarial Collaboration (PDF)
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... ration.pdf