Para 3 LW detent slop

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dubya3(new)

Para 3 LW detent slop

Post by dubya3(new) »

Hey there, name is Cory and I've been a member of the forum for about 10 years but gave up on being a knife hobbiest 6-7 years ago and when I tried to get back on my old account I couldn't remember the password and I lost my original email years and multiple phones ago so I'm back with a new account under the same username (I think).

Anyway, I bought a Para 3 LW in M4 a couple years ago and it's been an amazing EDC knife. Normally preffering bigger folders I always wanted a larger PM2 but when the Para 3 was released and I handled one I fell in love (and now we have the Military 2 which is what I always wanted 🙂).

Long story short, my detent has worn down to the point that there is at least a few MM of play and the blade will fairly easily open on its own with a light shake. I almost sent it back to the mothership last week but reading some other threads online it sounded like maybe they don't warranty detent slop/lash? I ended up buying a 1/16" carbide end mill bit to open the detent hole in the blade only to realize its the wrong size. The detent itself is visibly worn down so now im thinking I should just buy a replacement detent, maybe a ceramic one, and attempt to replace it myself. Does anyone know if Spyderco would warranty this and if not, what the detent size is so I can replace it myself?

Thanks much

Cory
Michael Janich

Re: Para 3 LW detent slop

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear dubya3(new):

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Your best bet is to return your knife for warranty consideration. We always do our best to stand behind our products when they are used properly.

If you choose to modify your detent hole (which would add slop to the action) or replace the detent ball yourself, you are modifying your knife and would likely disqualify your knife from future warranty coverage.

Stay safe,

Mike
phaust

Post by phaust »

It's easy to replace the ball if that's the problem. Grab a 2mm ceramic ball, poke the existing one out, press the new one in (even a cheap screw clamp will work to press it in).
dubya3(new)

Post by dubya3(new) »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am
Dear dubya3(new):

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Your best bet is to return your knife for warranty consideration. We always do our best to stand behind our products when they are used properly.

If you choose to modify your detent hole (which would add slop to the action) or replace the detent ball yourself, you are modifying your knife and would likely disqualify your knife from future warranty coverage.

Stay safe,

Mike

Thanks Mike. I understand it'll most likely void my warranty if I replace the detent and I'm okay with that.
dubya3(new)

Post by dubya3(new) »

phaust wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am
It's easy to replace the ball if that's the problem. Grab a 2mm ceramic ball, poke the existing one out, press the new one in (even a cheap screw clamp will work to press it in).
Thank you. This is what im going to do, 2mm if for certain the correct size?
phaust

Post by phaust »

dubya3(new) wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm
phaust wrote:
Yep 2mm is correct.

I followed this guy's guide the first time I tried it

but searching for that I see the top result (

has someone pressing it in with just pliers (in case you don't have and don't want to buy a clamp).

Replacing the junky steel detent ball with ceramic makes a world of difference even for knives without slop.
dubya3(new)

Post by dubya3(new) »

phaust wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm
dubya3(new) wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm
phaust wrote:
Yep 2mm is correct.

I followed this guy's guide the first time I tried it

but searching for that I see the top result (

has someone pressing it in with just pliers (in case you don't have and don't want to buy a clamp).

Replacing the junky steel detent ball with ceramic makes a world of difference even for knives without slop.

Awesome, thanks for the info and links to the videos! I'll order a few 2mm ceramic bearings right now. I'll post again after I get one installed.

Cory
dubya3(new)

Post by dubya3(new) »

Okay one more question. I ordered two different kinds of balls and I'm curious which ones would be better.

Si3N4 Silicon Nitride

ZrO2 Zirconium Oxide (these were about twice as much as the Si3N4 ones)

I know either of these will probably wear a track in the blade over time so maybe I'm better off using the one that's not as hard?

Thanks!!
phaust

Post by phaust »

I use Si3N4 but believe people have used both successfully. I have thousands of openings on some and can't by eye at least see any groove; it just looks polished. I haven't tried feeling any though don't think you will have to worry this lifetime.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'd send it in, as Mike suggested. You could always mod it after the fact, if the warranty doesn't apply. I'd be surprised if it doesn't though.
dubya3(new)

Post by dubya3(new) »

I installed the white ZrO2 bearing as they were the first ones to arrive today and it completely fixed the problem. It was way easier to do than I expected with such a small part and the knife feels exactly as it did brand new, maybe even a little smoother.

Thanks for all the input and information.

Cory