Is this the knife everyone clamors for?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Is this the knife everyone clamors for?

Post by wrdwrght »

It remains a mystery to me why neither 3V nor 4V has been offered in a Manix.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
THG

Post by THG »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:32 pm
There is the St. Nick's sprint in 4V
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

THG wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:41 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:32 pm
There is the St. Nick's sprint in 4V
I’d forgotten that. I have been disregarding coated blades forever. That may change now that Eric is teasing us with an in-house concoction.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:24 am
Is this the knife everyone really wants? Here me out. People decried it because it had such a thick blade and other complaints. However, when one looks at the specs, it has the same blade thickness, and close to the same specs as other well loved knives and none of their detriments.
Not quite. The bird's beak at the rear of the handle eats into usable grip space. The more pronounced finger grooves make it less friendly to a wider variety of hand shapes & sizes than a more neutral handle. The intermediate hole hump vs no hump of the Shaman, and the pronounced finger grooves, cause it to take up more pocket space in the height dimension.

Those criticisms aside, it does have other qualities I prefer over the Shaman, since it's a liner-less Golden made back lock. I'd happily purchase a couple if they were reissued at a reasonable price.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Hmm. Compared to a g10 cbbl manix:

Does it cut better? No, it's thicker with the same blade shape.

Oh. It must be going for the big strong overbuilt knife thing then? No, they got rid of the steel liners entirely.

Oh. it must be less expensive then? You might think so, but no, it cost noticably more.

Hmmm. Well is it at least lighter in weight? No. Well... Kinda? It's slightly lighter than the standard full linered cbbl g10 manix, but It's actually a hair heavier than g10 manix 2 sprints/exclusives with skeletonized liners.

I'm not saying it's not a good knife, it's just for me, the cbbl manix2 is better at pretty much everything I care about(especially with skeletonized liners). And I love backlocks.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never seen anyone prove that the linerless G10 Manix 2 back lock is any less strong than the one with liners that can be bent or rust. I don't know of any proof that the Native linerless G10 is any less strong. I think this is all needless worry. I see the blade breaking before the pivot, scales, or lock break.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I’ve given my dad a few Spydercos, including this one, and he uses it for work. He’s 66 y/o now and his construction business over the years has included residential finishing work like carpet, sheet rock, garage doors, door knobs, closet organizers, mirrors, bath fixtures, but nowadays he focuses on the higher profit margin shower doors. He loves the back lock Manix Monday-Friday but prefers a ZDP-189 Stretch on the weekends.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I have said it a thousand times and i stand by it. If you never handled or used the Original Manixes you can not say its better or worse then the Manix 2's.
People here complain about the bladestock being a mm more so it must cut worse. No it does not.... i can slice and dice everything with my originals with as much ease then with my Manix 2's. Just the same way the Shaman can...

About the g10 manix 2 backlock version i handled it once and it felt IN COMPARISON to the original in my pocket that day like a knockoff version of the original with the wrong blade shape. Because no the bladeshape is not the same between the "mini" Manix and the Manix 2. If you lat it on top of each other you notice the difference.

About its weight. It seems to me people think that the originals are way to heavy but statisticly the Originals C95 ways a gram less then the Manix 2 XL...
And on top of that. Not everyone is the same.
Does not mean that a group of members here like Lw's that everyone here should like those.
I like heavy knives and i want Spyderco to keep making them as much as i want to see Lw's for other members.
But to turn full circle please handle an Original Manix before making your mind on the topic.
They are way better then some people claim were i am not sure about they even ever owned or used one...
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I think the backlock Manix could be my one-and-done knife. I prefer the slightly thicker handle for comfort, but wouldn't object to a bit more chamfering. The texture on the G-10 is perfect for me; it gives enough traction, has a pleasant feel, and is smooth going in and out of pocket. The fully closed back is nice for in-hand comfort. It's easy to take apart and reassemble for cleaning. (For reference, I also have a CBBL G10 Manix and a LW Manix.)

I have knives that arguably have a little better finish, or more "fancy" materials, but I think if I had to trim the collection to one, this is the knife I'd keep. I'd be interested in a re-issue with the same handle material and perhaps a Magnacut or SPY27 blade (not that there's anything wrong with S30v). A Salt treatment would also be interesting, but I'd prefer G10 if possible.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Road Tripper wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:28 am
I think the backlock Manix could be my one-and-done knife. I prefer the slightly thicker handle for comfort, but wouldn't object to a bit more chamfering. The texture on the G-10 is perfect for me; it gives enough traction, has a pleasant feel, and is smooth going in and out of pocket. The fully closed back is nice for in-hand comfort. It's easy to take apart and reassemble for cleaning. (For reference, I also have a CBBL G10 Manix and a LW Manix.)

I have knives that arguably have a little better finish, or more "fancy" materials, but I think if I had to trim the collection to one, this is the knife I'd keep. I'd be interested in a re-issue with the same handle material and perhaps a Magnacut or SPY27 blade (not that there's anything wrong with S30v). A Salt treatment would also be interesting, but I'd prefer G10 if possible.
I with you on this. I'd like a re-release with a new steel as I already have S30V in mine, and not a thing wrong with that steel. SPY27 or Magnacut (for better corrosion resistance) or even 15V with the new coating. If they went that route, there could be different colors of G10, like coyote, or OD green, or FDE with black blade, or OD or FDE blade or anything, even red blades. The sky's the limit.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The only short coming of linerless G-10 is the pivot area. G-10 at thickness is more than strong enough for the handle. But at the pivot things like the D shape hole can deform a little bit under pressure or wear. I've seen this taking apart my Chief's. Probably because the G-10 is at it's thinnest here so the screws can be recessed. I think the best is a small pivot insert/liner like they have on a few models. The rest of the handle doesn't need it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm a lightweight freek, BUT:
Attachments
I don't always Manix.jpg
IMG_1010.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I have one and love it. Nice feel to it. No complaints about anything about the knife other than its discod. Would like to see one in s90v
Spyderbot_matrix

Post by Spyderbot_matrix »

Probably gonna get some enthusiastic feedback, but i’d kill a bird with 2 stones by having a manix 2 and a native 5. I love the G10 “dumbell”, cause I got the action is sooooo smooooth - but my n5s got that satisfying “CLICK” when locking. So I carry both in LW.

Then there us Fidget people that need the daily dose of flick too 😬
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Is this the knife everyone really wants?
If they got rid of the second point in the handle so my fat mitts were comfier, sure; I'd try one. I just find the Shaman handle to be a lot more comfortable. Looking forward to the Bodacious, also.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Is this the knife everyone really wants?
If they got rid of the second point in the handle so my fat mitts were comfier, sure; I'd try one. I just find the Shaman handle to be a lot more comfortable. Looking forward to the Bodacious, also.
Since it is linerless, that is easily remedied. You'd have to wear a respirator or N95 mask or something, but it would be simple to take it down.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I loved my mini Manixes! However, it was -to me- rather heavy and because of that I much more prefer the Manix 2 (and the lightweights).
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I think everyone waited for the sprints/exclusives with "better" steels and Spyderco/dealers had a hard time moving the first ones..
I was an early adopter and have zero regrets.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 am
I think everyone waited for the sprints/exclusives with "better" steels...
Yup, that was me... I was hoping for Cruwear.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

We really need a new release of this knife with a new, more fashionable steel.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050