Is this the knife everyone clamors for?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Is this the knife everyone clamors for?

Post by Doc Dan »

Is this the knife everyone really wants? Here me out. People decried it because it had such a thick blade and other complaints. However, when one looks at the specs, it has the same blade thickness, and close to the same specs as other well loved knives and none of their detriments.

For example, let's look at the much touted Shaman in comparison:
shaman

Overall Length
8.25" (210mm)
Blade Length
3.58" (91mm)
Steel
CPM S30V
Closed Length
4.67" (119mm)
Edge Length
3.12" (79mm)
Weight
5.2oz (147g)
Blade Thickness
0.145" (3.7mm)
Handle
G-10
Clip Position
Ambi
Tip Carry Position
4-position
Lock Type
Compression
Grind
Full-Flat
Sheath
N/A
Origin
United States

Manix 2 Back Lock

Overall Length
8.03" (204mm)
Blade Length
3.37" (86mm)
Steel
CPM S30V
Closed Length
4.66" (118mm)
Edge Length
2.92" (74mm)
Weight
4.4oz (125g)
Blade Thickness
0.145" (3.7mm)
Handle
G-10
Clip Position
Ambi
Tip Carry Position
4-position
Lock Type
Back Lock
Grind
Full-Flat
Sheath
N/A
Origin
United States

Add to this a stronger lock that has a bias to stay closed and what's not to love? If I had to pick only one folder, this would likely be it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RugerNurse

Re: Is this the knife everyone clamors for?

Post by RugerNurse »

I would love a manix backlock. Be my work knife and EDC. One of the best handles and blade shapes
Last edited by RugerNurse on Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Double post. Sorry
benben

Post by benben »

If I ever run across a back lock Manix out in the wild I’ll buy it right then! I bought another Manix this past Saturday at my LGS, a plain Jane G-10 S30V, no box. Don’t think it’s ever been carried or used, action is slick as glass and it’s super sharp! Offered the guy a hundred dollar bill out the door and he said yes, went straight into my pocket.

Went in to look at a CZ pistol, no intentions of buying a knife, definitely didn’t need another Manix, but this used one here reinforces to me just how great the Manix design is, couldn’t pass it up! Plus if need be this one would make an excellent gift for someone whom I deem worthy! 😉
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

benben wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:25 am
Plus if need be this one would make an excellent gift for someone whom I deem worthy! 😉
I deem myself worthy 😆
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

My first USA Spydie was an original mini Manix back lock... it's a fine knife but I prefer several other knives to it.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Won’t catch me clamoring about it but I agree a nice knife.
:bug-red-white
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image I enjoy mine as much as the day I opened the box , changed clip and put in my pocket . Feel the same with my original C95 . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
olywa

Post by olywa »

Love my Manix back lock. Mine is from the last release and was ordered the first day of the release. The way that back lock engages is like no other back lock I own. I generally carry something lighter and longer, but when I need a stout folder the Manix back lock is what goes in my pocket. Never disappoints.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:31 am
Image I enjoy mine as much as the day I opened the box , changed clip and put in my pocket . Feel the same with my original C95 . MG2
You have good taste, obviously.

It beats me how some people bashed it because the blade was thicker, but then jumped on the Shaman, et. al band wagon. The M2 back lock is superior to them, in my opinion. Even my fat fingers can get a good purchase on the handle and I can't say that about many knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
fixall

Post by fixall »

I love the blade, and dislike the handle (much like the Shaman). They just don’t work for my small hands, and the handle is too long for the blades imo.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I see nothing wrong with it. Great knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I see nothing wrong with it. Great knife.
I feel the same way. I'd love one in Cruwear or 4V, maybe even 3V.
It must be fairly expensive to make in comparison to some other Spydercos and I'd bet money the Manix 2 lock. I also remember some folks complaining online about the famous lock back movement that comes with all backlocks. Despite those complaints it was a very strong knife and when I saw pictures of a failed one it was the blade and not the lock that let go.

From a business standpoint I can see why they went elsewhere but from a knife knut perspective I wish they made a new batch now and then.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I didn't buy a M2BL or a Shaman because of the blade thickness. I'm interested in the Bodacious because it does slim back down to .125".

Also, you can dig up the old threads and there's a lot of people waiting for sprints, or just preferring the CBBL, or finding the thicker handle too blocky (which the Shaman does solve with contouring, at higher cost).

If you like a design and want to see more variants/sprints, gotta put up some funds and support the base model first. More folks asking for a K390 Rockjumper that never happened than carrying VG-10, apparently. Wait for the discontinued sales for the MAP break if you want but don't be surprised.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Humint

Post by Humint »

If Spyderco made this knife with a little thinner blade stock and a Salt version (Magnacut blade, backlock, etc) then it truly would be my one-and-done knife. It would kick my CRKs out of the rotation and the collection.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I was able to snag a Manix 2 backlock off eBay last year. For me it is Spyderco's most perfect knife.

The lock snaps into place harder than most any Cold Steel yet is still easy to disengage, and it's definitely the most comfortable Manix 2 in hand. The lack of the handle/liner jimping lets you truly appreciate what a great design the Manix(2) is. Such a shame it wasn't well received. As I've gathered everyone wanted it to be a reproduction of the Manix 83mm and protested it because of the linerless g10 "being unfit for hard use." Yet we're all too happy to shell out for Manix 2 LW, and talk about how much abuse a Pacific Salt can take(both great knives in their own right).

Maybe this model needs to be revived as a Salt so people can love it with different mindest. It's already linerless; coat the hardware black, slap Lc200n or Magnacut on it with green or yellow scales respectfully. It would be one of the hardest use knives in the Salt lineup. I'm not a huge backlock fan and I do enjoy the CBBL, but the backlock and the Manix are more than the sum of their parts.

Edit: looks like Humint beat me to the idea so x2 on Manix 2 Backlock Salt
Last edited by Fastidiotus on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I regret that I missed out on this one, because of tough competition at the time with other sexier sprints.

The larger Shaman is a worthy alternative for me though. The stone washed blade and clip and contoured scales give it a bit extra. It came out tops for hand comfort during a backyard cut test I did doing hard cuts in wood. It was much more comfy in a choked-up hammer grip during hard cuts compared to the Manix, PM2, GB2 and Military.

But, if I see a linerless backlock Manix for sale I’d still be tempted…
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
THG

Post by THG »

I have one of these, but I never use it because the handle is too thick. The blade stock is fine, but I wish the over all thickness was more like the CBBL Manix 2. Then it would have been **** near the perfect knife
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm extremely fond of my back lock manix. I have always wished for a Cruwear (or 3v) version.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:31 am
Same here, regarding both.

Ultralighters and miniaturists, avert your eyes!
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”