Is this the knife everyone clamors for?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Is this the knife everyone clamors for?

Post by Wartstein »

I actually had a backlock Manix for a very short time (won an e-bay bid for it completely unexpected), but just held and opened/closed it two or three times to check if everything is right before I immediately sold it again (NOT because I did not like it! I did not want another Spydie back then in the first place, bidding on ebay was just like a reflex , never thought I´d actually get the knife).

Now the feel in hand was great and the linerless, fat G10 handle felt superstrong (though like I always say: One can´t talk about ergos of a folder by just holding and not really using it, so this was just a brief first impression).

Action was smooth and the lockup really solid.

Great knife, no doubt, and while the CBBL is a great lock and a close second,the backlock is still my number one.

But the Manix 2 LW is such a masterpiece of knife engineering and design with its light weight but strong built that I definitely prefer that one over the heavier G10 backlock with its also thicker blade.

/ "Knife for everyone": On the Manix the handle behind the choil has a very tight fit already for my L to XL hand (like a tight glove, so actually still good!) so I figure even larger / wider / thicker hands will have to use the choil and don´t get offered TWO good grip options - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:14 am
I actually had a backlock Manix for a very short time (won an e-bay bid for it completely unexpected), but just held and opened/closed it two or three times to check if everything is right before I immediately sold it again (NOT because I did not like it! I did not want another Spydie back then in the first place, bidding on ebay was just like a reflex , never thought I´d actually get the knife).

Now the feel in hand was great and the linerless, fat G10 handle felt superstrong (though like I always say: One can´t talk about ergos of a folder by just holding and not really using it, so this was just a brief first impression).

Action was smooth and the lockup really solid.

Great knife, no doubt, and while the CBBL is a great lock and a close second,the backlock is still my number one.

But the Manix 2 LW is such a masterpiece of knife engineering and design with its light weight but strong built that I definitely prefer that one over the heavier G10 backlock with its also thicker blade.

/ "Knife for everyone": On the Manix the handle behind the choil has a very tight fit already for my L to XL hand (like a tight glove, so actually still good!) so I figure even larger / wider / thicker hands will have to use the choil and don´t get offered TWO good grip options - ?
It is weird how people's hands are. Mine are thick and I wear and XL/2XL glove width wise. The PM2 is too short for me. However, for some reason, I can get my hand on the M2 back lock (though my pinky does ride the horn).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
CraigStar88

Post by CraigStar88 »

Any chance anyone knows of anyone who can make new scales for my Manix 2 Backlock?
:bug-red-white

CraigStar: I have owned and used 1 of every USA
Made knife Spyderco. And 90% foreign. :winking-tongue
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like my Manix 2 BBL exactly the way it is, thank you. I almost 100% refuse to buy lockback knives.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:24 am
Is this the knife everyone really wants? Here me out. People decried it because it had such a thick blade and other complaints. However, when one looks at the specs, it has the same blade thickness, and close to the same specs as other well loved knives and none of their detriments.

Add to this a stronger lock that has a bias to stay closed and what's not to love? If I had to pick only one folder, this would likely be it.
I have one of these and I do like it. It'd be even better if it was not so wide in the pocket, like, ummm, I don't know, a 3.5" Native. :winking-tongue
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bdblue wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:08 pm
I like my Manix 2 BBL exactly the way it is, thank you. I almost 100% refuse to buy lockback knives.

Why? (Honest question, out of interest!)

The backlock has an even stronger closing bias than the CBBL, is very versatile in the ways it can be closed one handed, can do that "fingers out of the blade path thing" some folks appearantly like, has a very strong and simple construction, the spring tension can be adjusted more easily than with the CBBL and like the CBBL it requires no cutout in the handle (CBBL knives though admittedly do not even get thinner on the handle spine, while backlock knives do at the point where the lockbar has to be pressed )
Admittedly though the backlock has a bit more of a tendency for up and down play by design.

And that all said: I do like the CBBL, it is a "second favorite" very close behind the backlock!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

I would definitely buy a Manix 2 back lock, yes. Tip up carry out of the box though, please.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I was gonna say that I feel like my Backlock Manix 2 feels a bit soft spring-wise.
Still love it !

@cjk saw what you did there :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
cjk

Post by cjk »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:11 am
I was gonna say that I feel like my Backlock Manix 2 feels a bit soft spring-wise.
Still love it !

Mine was soft too. I took it apart and bent the spring a bit more. It now snaps shut just like it wanted to be a 3.5 inch Native. 😁

Oops, I did it again. 🤣😜
Last edited by cjk on Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:35 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:24 am
I have one of these and I do like it. It'd be even better if it was not so wide in the pocket, like, ummm, I don't know, a 3.5" Native. :winking-tongue

Yeah, a 3.5" Native would be a pretty different knife... as you say, slimmer (thinner, less tall) in pocket, but also a lot lighter (even in G10, let alone in FRN), pointier tip, optimized grip area on the handle (no pinky hook), no thumb ramp.

Not better, not worse, just different.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Mine certainly isn't soft in the springs. This thing snaps into place with a very loud thwack and it feels so solid it is confidence inspiring.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

cjk wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:01 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:11 am
Still love it !

Mine was soft too. I took it apart and bent the spring a bit more. It now snaps shut just like it wanted to a 3.5 inch Native. 😁

Oops, I did it again. 🤣😜
Oh, never thought about bending a factory spring. Might be fun to try out. Always thought I had to make my own replacement If needed !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:19 am
Oh, never thought about bending a factory spring. Might be fun to try out. Always thought I had to make my own replacement If needed !

Interesting that you chaps want stronger springs. On all of my Spyderco back locks, I've bent the springs to provide less tension. We all have are own ideas about what makes the perfect knife. You want springs made for the Papa Bear, I want springs made for the Mama Bear, and Sal is making knives for Goldilocks.

You needn't worry about bending the spring and goofing it up, as long as you remain sensible about it. I've gone back-and-forth on some knives to get the tension just right. It's easier than you might think.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:38 am
Ramonade wrote:

Interesting that you chaps want stronger springs. On all of my Spyderco back locks, I've bent the springs to provide less tension. We all have are own ideas about what makes the perfect knife. You want springs made for the Papa Bear, I want springs made for the Mama Bear, and Sal is making knives for Goldilocks.

You needn't worry about bending the spring and goofing it up, as long as you remain sensible about it. I've gone back-and-forth on some knives to get the tension just right. It's easier than you might think.

IT's good to know, I've ordered some spring material but since I don't know what Spyderco uses and how it works (sometimes it's springier sometimes it's harder, etc) I did not know if my experimentations could include this.

I'm gonna have some fun with one or two of my backlocks then !
I don't care much for big tension but I like when the blade self closes rather well. Even if I go back on the pivot and lockbar screws it has a really weak self close. I like when it snaps in like on the Native 5 LW :open-grin

cjk

Post by cjk »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:20 am
RustyIron wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:38 am
Ramonade wrote:

IT's good to know, I've ordered some spring material but since I don't know what Spyderco uses and how it works (sometimes it's springier sometimes it's harder, etc) I did not know if my experimentations could include this.

I'm gonna have some fun with one or two of my backlocks then !
I don't care much for big tension but I like when the blade self closes rather well. Even if I go back on the pivot and lockbar screws it has a really weak self close. I like when it snaps in like on the Native 5 LW :open-grin
I bought a few pieces of flat spring stock from a knife maker supply shop a couple years back. It’s not difficult to make a spring at all. A set of digital calipers is great for measuring old and new thicknesses and widths. I’ve usually had to thin out the stock I bought.

The only knife I thought had a too strong spring was my g-10 dragonfly.
I’ve made more stronger than weaker.

@Ramonade , the stock springs are usually pretty easy to bend for a little more tension.