Shaman w/ XHP & Black Micarta

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hatuletoh

Shaman w/ XHP & Black Micarta

Post by Hatuletoh »

I was browsing the BladeHQ site and noticed that just today they put up a "coming soon" page for a Shaman with black micarta scales and an XHP blade. Does anyone know anything about that? More specifically, is it a sprint run, a new variant, like the Cru-wear/brown micarta line, or something in between, maybe?
Attachments
Screenshot_20240325-155925_Chrome.jpg
GarageBoy

Re: Shaman w/ XHP & Black Micarta

Post by GarageBoy »

3/27 10AM MST release date
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I think it's a Blade HQ exclusive since nobody else is advertising it. BladeHQ called it a "limited run" in this video; skip ahead to 7:20 for the shaman:
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Anyone have a general explanation of what XHP composition and performance is like?

I've heard it said that is was somewhat like an upgrade to D2, I've heard the same said about Cru-Wear, but I'm not sure if the composition of the two are similar or not, or even how similar either of them are to say CPM-D2, which I take to be a straight copy of D2 only as a powdered steel, and I'm guessing with tighter tolerances.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Synov

Post by Synov »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:52 pm
Anyone have a general explanation of what XHP composition and performance is like?
Performance-wise it's very similar to Spy27, S35VN, and Vanax but has very low corrosion resistance for a "stainless" steel.

Composition and more info: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/07/29/ ... roperties/
Visualizing the Tradeoff of Higher Hardness
S90V: Manix XL CF Yojumbo CF Shaman CF Native 5 Fluted CF CPM-154/S90V: Manix 2 Magnacut: Native 5 Fluted Ti Damasteel: Native 5 40th Anniversary ZDP-189: Dragonfly 2 Nishijin N690Co: PITS XHP: Chaparral Birdseye Maple
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Huh, strange mix of characteristics. After looking over some info, the only thing that I can think might edge it over some of it's competition (unintentional pun there) would be if it sharpened easier than more stainless options, but I haven't seen anything that suggests it does. It can get pretty hard, but it seems like Cru-Wear would be more preferred if you didn't need stainless properties. Not to say that it couldn't be a perfectly good steel overall, it just seems to occupy a strange place in the vast realm of steels.

Maybe it's like Rex 45, doesn't look like the best balance on paper but can still perform quite well.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

spydergoat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:23 pm
I think it's a Blade HQ exclusive since nobody else is advertising it. BladeHQ called it a "limited run" in this video; skip ahead to 7:20 for the shaman:
He called it a limited run, then went on to talk about the bhq exclusive m4 jade yojumbo specifically calling it out as an exclusive, which he did not say about the shaman. That combined with most of bhq's exclusives being in m4 makes me wonder if the xhp/micarta shaman might be a distributor (rather than dealer) exclusive and blade HQ is just getting it first.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Bladehq on instagram says it's not their exclusive, so probably a handful of shops are getting it
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:34 pm
Huh, strange mix of characteristics. After looking over some info, the only thing that I can think might edge it over some of it's competition (unintentional pun there) would be if it sharpened easier than more stainless options, but I haven't seen anything that suggests it does. It can get pretty hard, but it seems like Cru-Wear would be more preferred if you didn't need stainless properties. Not to say that it couldn't be a perfectly good steel overall, it just seems to occupy a strange place in the vast realm of steels.

Maybe it's like Rex 45, doesn't look like the best balance on paper but can still perform quite well.

Can´t compare it to Cruwear and am not a steel expert by any means anyway, but that said:

I really like the XHP in my Chap - hold an edge pretty long in relation how easy it is to sharpen and I could not really do damage to the XHP blade, though I deliberately and frequently test(ed) the Chap pretty hard.
It is to be considered though that the Chap has an unusually thin blade (for a Spyderco) which might affect parameters like edge retention.
Also I managed to give the XHP blade a small, black smudge (corrosion), and I normally almost can´t bring my knives to show signs of corrosion.
So, yes, not exactly stainless.

/ REX 45 is a good example: To me (and also in tests by folks a lot more competent than I am) it performs so much better "than it should".
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
phaust

Post by phaust »

BHQ posted this is being recalled by Spyderco because of some production issue, and that will delay the release date.
R100

Post by R100 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:34 pm

I think you would find XHP well worth a try. To me it is one of Spyderco's great balanced steels and it should get more positive attention. It may not appear outstanding on a steel properties chart but in use I find it easy to sharpen, tough and with good edge retention. In particular it holds front end sharpness much better than S30V. Like Cruwear, it responds well to a strop and works well either toothy or polished. In usage properties it feels like it lies between S30V and Cruwear which is actually a pretty great place to be for edc.

Dan
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’ve heard that xhp is no longer being made, so this could be a pretty special exclusive.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:58 pm
I’ve heard that xhp is no longer being made, so this could be a pretty special exclusive.
Do you happen to have a source for reference?
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I like it.

If they´ll ever do the Bodacious (more my kind of "Shaman") in that combo I´ll definitely be tempted...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

weeping minora wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:24 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
I heard it on Mark of the Maker podcast. I can’t recall the episode number.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:26 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:24 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
I heard it on Mark of the Maker podcast. I can’t recall the episode number.
Interesting. I suppose I'll have to check out the podcast, as I wasn't aware of it. Thank you.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:06 am
I like it.

If they´ll ever do the Bodacious (more my kind of "Shaman") in that combo I´ll definitely be tempted...
I agree with your sentiments, though I most-likely wouldn't be a purchaser at the price point. I think it would be worth the investment for Spyderco to do a run, for those who are interested.