Native Scout?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydergoat

Re: Native Scout?

Post by spydergoat »

Agreed. Too much negativity in multiple threads recently. I hope this place doesn't devolve into what has become of most other social media discourse.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 am
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:45 am
WE could always buy a Native chief and do this, too : https://messerforum.net/threads/spyderc ... ip.145705/
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!! :party-face

Unfortunately though, it’s just easier for people on here to tell Spyderco to invest resources into creating the knife they want opposed to them making a personal investment to get what they want. I don’t want to call it selfishness, because I know what kind of can of worms that will open but self-serving is not far off.

Commissioning the custom work to be done is exponentially less costly than it is for Spyderco to develop the new model.
I've been trying not bring it up out of respect for Sal, but you've forced my hand. Within a week of receiving my Native Chief and realizing that it was a little too big, I purchased a Cold Steel American Lawman. It's as close as I can get to the proposed Native Scout. I carried it for a week before creating this thread. I'd rather have a Native family knife in that size range because I prefer USA made, the Golden, CO made back locks are much more refined, and I like that Spyderco is still a family owned business with values that generally align with my own.

I started this thread to see if other Spyderco back lock users in general, and Native fans in particular, would be interested in a knife in this size. You've done nothing make veiled attacks against me and others who would like a Native in this size.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:36 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 am
I don’t see a problem with people recommending a design they would like to see spyderco produce. It shouldn’t matter if it could be achieved by custom work. A lot of people aren’t going to do that. I agree with nicks point about it feeling like a pretty redundant design to be financially viable.. But I also could be biased because I’m not interested in a 3.5 native, at the end of the day if enough people show they want spyderco to make this design I’m sure spyderco will heavily consider making it, just like how the endela was born, enough requests came in and sal produced the design.
Wholly agreed!

Just to reiterate, I’m not speaking out against this knife and never suggested it should not be made. The financial aspect of it all is only a small part of what I’ve been saying. For myself, it stems back to my original post questioning if it could fit into their catalog. They make an incredibly diverse range of knives but as we’ve seen already, too much of the same thing can lead to complications with redundancy.

I understand that discontinued models are inevitable but to add something like this means something else would have to go. I would question what model should it replace and, more importantly, why? I suppose they could withhold the Edgerati and develop this model instead.
Bullcrap! You've done nothing but argue against it in nearly every post you've made in this thread. Rather than saying something like "Hey, it's not for me, I'd rather have something else" you've done nothing but post about why Spyderco shouldn't make this knife, and gone so far as to call me and others do want such a knife self-serving. You then accused Gernot of virtue signaling when he called you out on it.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:48 pm
OK, I gotta admit, that's a very attractive size. Seeing it won me over. Can we just scootch the finger choil back into the handle a bit? There's plenty of room, and it'd leave more edge available for cutting.
It's pretty perfect 🤩
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Having all these different sizes within a model family is kind of silly but that I don't really see why people get all bent out of shape when people ask for another tweener size. I'd rather see new models come out instead of the same ol' thing but that's just me. If someone wants a 3.5" Native then more power to them
spydergoat wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:57 pm
Agreed. Too much negativity in multiple threads recently. I hope this place doesn't devolve into what has become of most other social media discourse.
Yep! It gets old after awhile. I used to log in several times a day. Now it's more like once a week. Maybe not even that.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Yikes guys. I thought this forum was better than this. Ugaarguy, we get it, you think this is worth Spyderco bringing this to market. I would not get too offended by people disagreeing with you.

I don’t know how Sal decides which of these threads to pay attention to. But if you’re super convinced your idea has merit the best way to convince someone is to prototype it. As that link above shows, it’s not really all that difficult in some cases.

If Sal ever decides to chime in here I’m honestly curious how the economics favor adding “tweener” sizes like the Endela. I clearly don’t understand how it works because I thought the Endela and Lil Native seemed like dumb business ideas but I’m clearly wrong. A lot of basic business advice usually recommends minimizing the number of similar products. Spyderco seems to somehow flaunt this.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:08 pm
Background: I own five Native 5's. I recently picked up a brown G10 / M390 Native Chief because I was wanting something a bit longer. The Chief is great, but it's a bit too long, and by not adding height to scales and blade the proportions are thrown off. I strongly prefer the bias toward closure of a back lock, and I strongly prefer the more secure clip mounting of thread inserts that liner-less handles provide. I think the Native family needs a roughly 3.5" blade just right, in the middle, size.

So, I'd love it if Spyderco made what would be essentially a liner-less, back lock, G10 slab scaled Shaman. I'm probably in the minority, but would anyone else be interested in something like this?
Man, I'd be all over this.

I hesitate to say this, because I love my PM2s, but a 3.5" Native Scout (or LW Shaman) might win out if push came to shove.

I do wonder what sizes Spyderco sells the most of. The Endela sure seems to be doing well enough.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:31 pm
...a 3.5" Native Scout (or LW Shaman) might win out if push came to shove....

Of course, there are the existing, as well as the upcoming, Calys in 3.5" length. Different knife I know, and with a hump, but they share some of the charm that the proposed 3.5 Native would have, IMO. In case anybody missed the announcement here's a snippet. Not intending to derail from Native to Caly, but they do share similar DNA and might be an interim solution for those waiting for a 3.5 Native:

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:20 pm
...The current plan includes; a continuation of the Caly 3 in traditional carbon fiber, a Caly 3.5 (3.5" blade) in both traditional carbon fiber and a light weight version. A Caly 4 (4.0" blade) in carbon fiber. A Caly 2.5 (2.5" blade)....
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:33 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Ramonade wrote:
WE could always buy a Native chief and do this, too : https://messerforum.net/threads/spyderc ... ip.145705/

Unfortunately though, it’s just easier for people on here to tell Spyderco to invest resources into creating the knife they want opposed to them making a personal investment to get what they want. I don’t want to call it selfishness, because I know what kind of can of worms that will open but self-serving is not far off.

Commissioning the custom work to be done is exponentially less costly than it is for Spyderco to develop the new model.
I've been trying not bring it up out of respect for Sal, but you've forced my hand. Within a week of receiving my Native Chief and realizing that it was a little too big, I purchased a Cold Steel American Lawman. It's as close as I can get to the proposed Native Scout. I carried it for a week before creating this thread. I'd rather have a Native family knife in that size range because I prefer USA made, the Golden, CO made back locks are much more refined, and I like that Spyderco is still a family owned business with values that generally align with my own.

I started this thread to see if other Spyderco back lock users in general, and Native fans in particular, would be interested in a knife in this size. You've done nothing make veiled attacks against me and others who would like a Native in this size.
I’m sorry but if that’s what you think has been going on, I must insist that there was a misunderstanding somewhere.
ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:43 pm
Bullcrap! You've done nothing but argue against it in nearly every post you've made in this thread. Rather than saying something like "Hey, it's not for me, I'd rather have something else" you've done nothing but post about why Spyderco shouldn't make this knife, and gone so far as to call me and others do want such a knife self-serving. You then accused Gernot of virtue signaling when he called you out on it.
There has been a misunderstanding because I said this in my original post -
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:28 am
… I really do hope their factory expansion opens up the production capacity to the point where they can fulfill all of our wishes…
-Nick :bug-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

I’m sorry but if that’s what you think has been going on, I must insist that there was a misunderstanding somewhere.
ugaarguy wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
… I really do hope their factory expansion opens up the production capacity to the point where they can fulfill all of our wishes…
I'm not misunderstanding anything. If you quoted your own whole first post in this thread you'd have included the hyperbole that you started with. Then you accused me and others of being selfish. Then you accused Gernot of virtue signaling. You accuse others of doing wrong when they disagree with and call you on your BS.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:46 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:31 pm
...a 3.5" Native Scout (or LW Shaman) might win out if push came to shove....

Of course, there are the existing, as well as the upcoming, Calys in 3.5" length. Different knife I know, and with a hump, but they share some of the charm that the proposed 3.5 Native would have, IMO. In case anybody missed the announcement here's a snippet. Not intending to derail from Native to Caly, but they do share similar DNA and might be an interim solution for those waiting for a 3.5 Native:

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:20 pm
...The current plan includes; a continuation of the Caly 3 in traditional carbon fiber, a Caly 3.5 (3.5" blade) in both traditional carbon fiber and a light weight version. A Caly 4 (4.0" blade) in carbon fiber. A Caly 2.5 (2.5" blade)....
Pretty psyched on this as well. I hope we get a nice steel in the LW model. I'm not huge on the Carbon Fiber but I'm stoked to see Moki making knives again. We had a Caly 3 in ZDP/CF at the shop I worked at in college: it was a stunner, absolutely impeccable knife. Taught me to appreciate craftsmanship in a knife. Have still never owned one.

Doesn't detract from my psyche for a Native Scout. The Native/Shaman have my favorite handle shape. I should probably go buy a Chief right now.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am
Mushroom wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

ugaarguy wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
I'm not misunderstanding anything. If you quoted your own whole first post in this thread you'd have included the hyperbole that you started with. Then you accused me and others of being selfish. Then you accused Gernot of virtue signaling. You accuse others of doing wrong when they disagree with and call you on your BS.
Are you done playing victim yet? I asked some questions about the proposed idea and shared some of my thoughts. When catamount123 originally proposed this idea three years ago, I shared much of the same sentiment back then as well. There’s no need for you to get so offended by my opinion - Spyderco can always create a 3.5” Native, no matter what I say. (Or how you choose to interpret it)

:eye-roll
-Nick :bug-red
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

I wonder…. Is it the full moon, or the coming eclipse?
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am
Mushroom wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:

ugaarguy wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Are you done playing victim yet? I asked some questions about the proposed idea and shared some of my thoughts. When catamount123 originally proposed this idea three years ago, I shared much of the same sentiment back then as well. There’s no need for you to get so offended by my opinion - Spyderco can always create a 3.5” Native, no matter what I say. (Or how you choose to interpret it)

:eye-roll
Now you say I'm playing victim. Are you done with the name calling yet?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

OK guys, somebody needs to be the adult and just not respond to the other person's barbs. We are all Spy-bros here (or Spy-sisters, if we haven't chased off all the women by now). Time to shake hands and get back to what we all love...knives!

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am
Pretty psyched on this [Caly] as well. I hope we get a nice steel in the LW model. I'm not huge on the Carbon Fiber but I'm stoked to see Moki making knives again. We had a Caly 3 in ZDP/CF at the shop I worked at in college: it was a stunner, absolutely impeccable knife. Taught me to appreciate craftsmanship in a knife. Have still never owned one.

Doesn't detract from my psyche for a Native Scout. The Native/Shaman have my favorite handle shape. I should probably go buy a Chief right now.

Agree! There is room in my sock drawer for both 3.5" models - Native and Caly!!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

@ugaarguy and @Mushroom Perhaps it's time to agree to disagree. Rather than derail the discussion further, maybe it's time to let it go (at least the back-and-forth that doesn't relate to the original topic). I trust that both of you can handle this without me having to get involved further. If you truly can't let the back-and-forth go, I suggest using the Friend/Foe list in the User CP.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

cjk wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:53 pm
Bolster wrote:
OK, I gotta admit, that's a very attractive size. Seeing it won me over. Can we just scootch the finger choil back into the handle a bit? There's plenty of room, and it'd leave more edge available for cutting.
It's pretty perfect 🤩
Makes me want to revise my plan of buying a Native chief XL and try to get a seconds or used S30V to have some fun !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:

That´s a great proposal and would make me really interested in a 3.5" Native!

So far it is "just" a model I´d definitely would love to try but probably not even keep in the long run...but kind of "kapara-izing" it a bit in the choil area for more cutting edge would be a big plus for me personally!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have been following this thread and kept scratching my head why a 3.5 made sense . The pictures of the mod Chief sold me , very impressive . If this would ever go forward I could see one in my pocket . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm
I have been following this thread and kept scratching my head why a 3.5 made sense . The pictures of the mod Chief sold me , very impressive . If this would ever go forward I could see one in my pocket . MG2
Same here. I'm moving permanently to CO this year and all of my 4 inch favorites will be too large to legally carry. A 3.5 Native would be nice.