Native Scout?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Native Scout?

Post by ugaarguy »

Background: I own five Native 5's. I recently picked up a brown G10 / M390 Native Chief because I was wanting something a bit longer. The Chief is great, but it's a bit too long, and by not adding height to scales and blade the proportions are thrown off. I strongly prefer the bias toward closure of a back lock, and I strongly prefer the more secure clip mounting of thread inserts that liner-less handles provide. I think the Native family needs a roughly 3.5" blade just right, in the middle, size.

So, I'd love it if Spyderco made what would be essentially a liner-less, back lock, G10 slab scaled Shaman. I'm probably in the minority, but would anyone else be interested in something like this?
JayHenMac

Re: Native Scout?

Post by JayHenMac »

Not alone. I'd love something in that size. A "Native Scout" would be an awesome addition. I'd grab a lightweight version without much hesitation.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:08 pm
the Native family needs a roughly 3.5" blade just right, in the middle, size.
Yep. This is the way. ;)

The Chief's blade is too long for me to carry comfortably in public.
- Richard
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

ugaarguy wrote:
Background: I own five Native 5's. I recently picked up a brown G10 / M390 Native Chief because I was wanting something a bit longer. The Chief is great, but it's a bit too long, and by not adding height to scales and blade the proportions are thrown off. I strongly prefer the bias toward closure of a back lock, and I strongly prefer the more secure clip mounting of thread inserts that liner-less handles provide. I think the Native family needs a roughly 3.5" blade just right, in the middle, size.

So, I'd love it if Spyderco made what would be essentially a liner-less, back lock, G10 slab scaled Shaman. I'm probably in the minority, but would anyone else be interested in something like this?
Interesting concept. I like the blade on my Native 5 and for my use the Chief is a bit too long. A salt version with a 3.5 inch blade sounds good to me!
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pass for me. I'd love to see an XXL version around 4.5" though! There's so little options in the over 4" blade length category.
:unicorn
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Here's an interesting thread saying the same thing : viewtopic.php?t=90338

Personally, any iteration of the Native design, longer or not : I'm here for it :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:

I always like when this topic comes up again, since I´d also like to see that Native sized between "5" and Chief.

Has been discussed a lot in the thread Robin already linked above, I may post Kobolds "mock up" pic of that "in between" model here since imo it looks really cool.

("quoted" from here viewtopic.php?p=1546863#p1546863)

I also prefer a backlock over a comp.lock - not only cause of the closing bias, but also the for me better ergos (no comp.lock cutout) and more secure operation in not ideal conditions.

I think though a "liner-less, back lock, G10 slab scaled Shaman" would not really be that in between Native - especially the thinner blade and less tall built differentiates the Native from the Shaman for me.

Anyway :The Native with its great backlock and distinct features should absolutely get a model in the very popular Manix / PM2 / Stretch size if you ask me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

This seems like pretty logical idea to me. I think a middle ground size of the Native would make more sense than a modification of the Shaman though. I'd like this size range as a lightweight most I think.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:58 pm
Pass for me. I'd love to see an XXL version around 4.5" though! There's so little options in the over 4" blade length category.
I'm with Vivi on this.

I'd like to see a few 4.5 inch bladed Spyderco knives. I'll take a 4.5 inch Native Chief!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
cjk

Post by cjk »

I'm sure I posted similar in the thread linked above.

A just under 3.5" bladed Native 5 variant is honestly the thing I that I most wish that Spyderco would offer.

I bought a 4v Native Chief. I do like it, but I choose to use the Cruwear Stretch 2 XL or an Endura instead when I want a knife that big.

If they don't offer a 3.5 inch Native, I'll be perfectly happy with the more than two dozen Native 5s already in my collection. The Native 5 has become my default daily cutting tool.

In pursuit of a 3.5 inch Native, I did locate a smooth unlined G-10 Manix lock back. It's my 3.5 inch "Native" for now. 😁

I hope everyone has a great day! 😁
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Yes please, a Goldilocks Native 🙏 🙏🙏
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

As with all previous discussions of such a model, I'd be all in for G10 and maybe FRN too. MC /LC, CruWear, Rex45 plz.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Next to the Native 5, the Manix 2 is my favorite platform, though I wish it was less of a pocket hog. So yeah, I'd be in for a 3.5 inch Native.
native5_manix2_nativechief_01.jpg
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

ugaarguy wrote:
it's a bit too long, and by not adding height to scales and blade the proportions are thrown off
A few minutes with a file will solve this.
ugaarguy wrote:
I strongly prefer the more secure clip mounting of thread inserts that liner-less handles provide
Threaded inserts are not more secure than threaded holes in steel liners. Any real force against those threads will bend the clip.
ugaarguy wrote:
So, I'd love it if Spyderco made what would be essentially a liner-less, back lock, G10 slab scaled Shaman.
Have you considered a Manix 2 backlock? I'm sure you can find a used one. Seems like what you want (they were linerless). IMO the Manix 2 is at least a Native cousin.
ugaarguy wrote:
would anyone else be interested in something like this?
I'd rather see the return of rounded ergonomic handles to the Native family. Spyderco rarely misses on ergos and I know I'm in the minority, but I've been a Native diehard since they've been making Natives up until the Native 5 LW and just don't find it to be a good knife in hand.

Personally, I don't want a middle ground knife. I like ~2.5" blades for general EDC. I like 4" blades for situations where I'm less worried about size/weight/optics and more about how the knife will perform in hand.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Include me in the camp of enjoying my Native 5's, but thinking the Native Chief isn't my ideal bigger version.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If they moved that finger spike to the end of the scales and had the cutting edge come nearly to the scales I could be happy with a back lock version. It could be my one knife...but the Manix 2 back lock with linerless G10 is already in that spot.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:19 pm
If they moved that finger spike to the end of the scales and had the cutting edge come nearly to the scales I could be happy with a back lock version. It could be my one knife...but the Manix 2 back lock with linerless G10 is already in that spot.

As we discussed in another thread: Just for me this is what I´d like to see especially in the existing Native 5.
The Native 5s overall handle length would be long enough for a good four finger grip if it had no choil, but giving it a choil makes the grip area too short behind that choil AND costs cutting egde length on the blade side...

In a Native sized between the "5" and the Chief though, both choil or no choil would be fine to me, since in that bigger size one could get a good finger grip behind the choil and a second grip option when choking up.
OR, as you suggest, one long grip area on the handle plus more edge if an "in between Native" had no choil. Not bad either!! (So kind of a "bodacioused" Native ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:22 pm
Next to the Native 5, the Manix 2 is my favorite platform, though I wish it was less of a pocket hog. So yeah, I'd be in for a 3.5 inch Native.
Honestly when I look at that picture I wonder why people don't just buy a Native Chief and grind the blade down a bit if they want a shorter version.

The size difference between the two isn't really that big. Take a Chief to a belt sander and drop 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and there you go.
cjk

Post by cjk »

vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:43 am
mikey177 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:22 pm
Honestly when I look at that picture I wonder why people don't just buy a Native Chief and grind the blade down a bit if they want a shorter version.

The size difference between the two isn't really that big. Take a Chief to a belt sander and drop 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and there you go.

I have considered doing this very thing. One would ideally want to shorten the handle too. When you open one up, you find a big lightening hole in the backspacer right where one would want to lop off the butt end of the knife. That limits the shape and where you could re-tap the back screws. It would end up looking like a hack job. I've seen a couple shortened before and they look pretty terrible to my eye.

I located an unlined G-10 Manix 2 lockback which I'm happy enough with. Mini Manix to you :) . It's really wide in the pocket, but side by side, it does feel pretty much like an unlined G-10 Native 5's big brother.

Here's a video showing the disassembly of a Native Chief. about 2:46 in is a good shot of it open where you can see the big squarish lightening hole in the backspacer.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Why shorten the handle too? You could do just the blade and make it look factory pretty easily in comparison.