Native Scout?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Native Scout?

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:03 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 am
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:45 am
WE could always buy a Native chief and do this, too : https://messerforum.net/threads/spyderc ... ip.145705/
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!! :party-face

Unfortunately though, it’s just easier for people on here to tell Spyderco to invest resources into creating the knife they want opposed to them making a personal investment to get what they want. I don’t want to call it selfishness, because I know what kind of can of worms that will open but self-serving is not far off.

Commissioning the custom work to be done is exponentially less costly than it is for Spyderco to develop the new model.

The thing I don´t like about that imo pretty far off "self serving sentiment":

It could keep folks from discussing knives - folks who are just enthusiastic and interested in, musing about and sharing their passion about Spyderco here with joy.

Probably no need to say it, cause it is very obvious anyway that discussions like this are only a good thing for Spyderco, show that good people with their own minds think and care about the product, really use those, test those, enjoy design features and just share how they think those features could be used even further.

No one "tells" Spyderco what they should do - reading through this and other threads I don´t know how one could come to such a conclusion.

Again, it is obvious anyway what I mean, since Sal himself quite often stated how he enjoys and values inputs, and to learn about what people like to see and dream of when it comes to Spyderco.
At least some models or variant came to life right because people enthusiastically shared their thoughts (like wharncliff Delica, the Ayoob sprint...)

Or, as Michael Janich has put it: " like all things Spyderco, if you really want something, keep asking for it here". (viewtopic.php?p=1437159#p1437159)

So: Discussing Spyderco in any positive and creative way on a Spyderco forum is only speaking for the brand and their knives imo.
That’s a lot of virtue signaling. This is the can of worms I was trying to avoid. I expressed my opinion and I promise it was not personal towards you in any way. I genuinely don’t mean to be rude but this nitpicking of every word I say lately is getting a little out of hand.

Let’s focus on modifying a Native Chief. It’s a solution that is available right now. Either done at home or by a skilled craftsmen but it can be done - the solution is currently available.

While this process could be costly for the end line user in either time or money, or both, it still pales in comparison to the investments and sacrifices Spyderco would have to make to bring it to market.

That leads me to question, why won’t you modify or have a Native Chief modified to achieve this goal?

I have no idea how anything in my post could be read as if I took anything "personal towards me" (??) and where the "virtue signaling" takes place, but I have no interest in discussing this any further (no offense meant, really not! :clinking-mugs )

To answer your question why I "won´t modify or have a Chief modified" [into a 3.5" Native]:

- Well... just for the same reasons that people were wishing for an in between Endura and Delica model, but made and designed by Spyderco (in THEIR high quality and with THEIR attention to detail and designed from scratch by THEM) - and not wanted to shorten an Endura themselves.
Finally we got the Endela! :smiling-cheeks

- For the same reasons you like (I guess) that there´ll be a 15V Lil Native but before that probably never planned on asking a professional to make you a 15V blade for one of the Lil Natives you already have.

- For the same reasons some want smooth G10 right from the factory but not smooth out their textured G10 themselves.

This is just another of the many threads where folks who are passionate about Spyderco show and share their love for a particular design - only natural then that many will be like: "Man, this knife is so cool, I wish it also came in "rustproof"... or lighter... or larger but still small enough to be convenient to carry and be legal in more places"... but genuinely made by Spyderco.

I personally would certainly love to try a 3.5 Native, but probably not even keep it in the end.
The Native platform is great, but I still prefer an Endura or Stretch XL to a Chief - and a Delica to a Native 5. Would probably end up being the same with Endela / Stretch 1 compared to Native "3.5".

I just honestly (and of course subjectively!!) think there IS a gap in the Native lineup and that it would be a good move and success for Spyderco to make an already very popular knife (I guess) also in a very popular (I guess) size.
So I like to imagine and discuss and share this with folks who feel the same, that´s all.

Spyderco will (of course) do anyway what they consider to be the right move (also of course knowing much, much better than any of us what IS the right move), but I am 100% sure they like when people are so enthusiastic about their knives and enjoy them so much that they share thoughts and dreams on a forum.
And it might even have a slight influence on Spydercos considerations that they do! :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

olditguy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm
I have been following this thread and kept scratching my head why a 3.5 made sense . The pictures of the mod Chief sold me , very impressive . If this would ever go forward I could see one in my pocket . MG2
Same here. I'm moving permanently to CO this year and all of my 4 inch favorites will be too large to legally carry. A 3.5 Native would be nice.
Kinda off topic:
I've referred to the Endela as the "Colorado Endura" in polite company but folks look at me like I'm silly. 🙃

They may not be wrong.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm
cjk wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:53 pm
Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:48 pm
OK, I gotta admit, that's a very attractive size. Seeing it won me over. Can we just scootch the finger choil back into the handle a bit? There's plenty of room, and it'd leave more edge available for cutting.
It's pretty perfect 🤩
Makes me want to revise my plan of buying a Native chief XL and try to get a seconds or used S30V to have some fun !
You're a rock star. It will be awesome. 👍👍
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm
I have been following this thread and kept scratching my head why a 3.5 made sense . The pictures of the mod Chief sold me , very impressive . If this would ever go forward I could see one in my pocket . MG2
Yes, I always say that to me personally the Native 5 is probably the coolest looking Spydie (though in real use other models in that size range happen to work even better for my particular hand and the way I use knives)

Now: I think just from an aesthetic point of view the mock ups of a "3.5 Native" look even cooler and have the perfect proportions for that platform - completely subjective of course and of no practical relevance.
But a 3.5 Native would also be more practical for me personally, due to the longer cutting edge and a longer "4 finger handle area" behind the choil.

Again: Not a knife I actually need, but one I´d very much like to try, should Spyderco ever make it (in their perfect and thought through way when they create another size of a model. Modding a Chief is cool and all but how many who wanted a smaller PM2 actually shortened one compared to how many just waited and were happy when they finally actually got a Para 3...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Deleted.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm
cjk wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:53 pm
Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:48 pm
OK, I gotta admit, that's a very attractive size. Seeing it won me over. Can we just scootch the finger choil back into the handle a bit? There's plenty of room, and it'd leave more edge available for cutting.
It's pretty perfect 🤩
Makes me want to revise my plan of buying a Native chief XL and try to get a seconds or used S30V to have some fun !

Robin,

does that mean you´re actually trying / doing the "shorten the Chief" - thing?
Or (and?) the "scootch the choil back into the handle a bit" ?

With both it would be awesome to see the result(s)!!! :grin-big eyes
(And to learn how much effort, time and money it took you in the end)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:00 am
Robin,

does that mean you´re actually trying / doing the "shorten the Chief" - thing?
Or (and?) the "scootch the choil back into the handle a bit" ?

With both it would be awesome to see the result(s)!!! :grin-big eyes
(And to learn how much effort, time and money it took you in the end)
Well seeing that guy's work really motivated me ! But I don't want to use my Rex45 or M390 Chiefs for that. I love them how they are. I'll definitely buy a used G10 chief or a LW and make the backspacer myself (I think I can without too much hurdle). Problem is that I need to write this idea somewhere 'cause I have plenty of "work" during the week-ends right now ! CRKs, Spydercos, Mules... :squinting-tongue

I think that's the kind of project that takes a bit of time, especially when I'll make a mistake or two. And you need a belt grinder to shave a lot of time off, at least a small 1x30" .
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:39 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:08 pm
Background: I own five Native 5's. I recently picked up a brown G10 / M390 Native Chief because I was wanting something a bit longer. The Chief is great, but it's a bit too long, and by not adding height to scales and blade the proportions are thrown off. I strongly prefer the bias toward closure of a back lock, and I strongly prefer the more secure clip mounting of thread inserts that liner-less handles provide. I think the Native family needs a roughly 3.5" blade just right, in the middle, size.

So, I'd love it if Spyderco made what would be essentially a liner-less, back lock, G10 slab scaled Shaman. I'm probably in the minority, but would anyone else be interested in something like this?

I always like when this topic comes up again, since I´d also like to see that Native sized between "5" and Chief.

Has been discussed a lot in the thread Robin already linked above, I may post Kobolds "mock up" pic of that "in between" model here since imo it looks really cool.

("quoted" from here viewtopic.php?p=1546863#p1546863)

I also prefer a backlock over a comp.lock - not only cause of the closing bias, but also the for me better ergos (no comp.lock cutout) and more secure operation in not ideal conditions.

I think though a "liner-less, back lock, G10 slab scaled Shaman" would not really be that in between Native - especially the thinner blade and less tall built differentiates the Native from the Shaman for me.

Anyway :The Native with its great backlock and distinct features should absolutely get a model in the very popular Manix / PM2 / Stretch size if you ask me.

Thank you Wartstein, I was just reading the thread thinking I should post the pic.

Yes, this knife would definitely open my wallet, especially now, when I am thinking about selling three or four folders from my collection to make room for something fresh.

I imagine modifying existing CAD designs of the Native 5 or Native Chief would be too easy.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kobold

Post by kobold »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:25 am
Ramonade wrote:
WE could always buy a Native chief and do this, too : https://messerforum.net/threads/spyderc ... ip.145705/

You probably could, Robin.

I would most definitely ruin a dozen or so knives, spend a significant amount on power tools and other equipment that I don't currently own, and figure out where to put a new workshop, before I am able to come up with something like that.

I think I'll wait for the 3.5-inch Native instead :smlling-eyes

I would probably end up in a hospital as well. :head-bandage
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kobold

Post by kobold »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:11 pm
I don’t understand a lot of the negative attitude going on here.

The same two or three people do it in every thread asking for this model.. :shush
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:00 am
Well seeing that guy's work really motivated me ! But I don't want to use my Rex45 or M390 Chiefs for that. I love them how they are. I'll definitely buy a used G10 chief or a LW and make the backspacer myself (I think I can without too much hurdle). Problem is that I need to write this idea somewhere 'cause I have plenty of "work" during the week-ends right now ! CRKs, Spydercos, Mules... :squinting-tongue

I think that's the kind of project that takes a bit of time, especially when I'll make a mistake or two. And you need a belt grinder to shave a lot of time off, at least a small 1x30" .
kobold wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:41 pm
mikey177 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:25 am
Ramonade wrote:
I would probably end up in a hospital as well. :head-bandage
Very cool, Robin!
Hope you´ll actually do that and share the result here!

But also underlines (as also Kobolds and Mikey177 posts do... ;) ) the anyway pretty obvious answer to the question why I (or others) actually don´t plan on modding a Chief (or have it modded) into a 3.5" Native:
As said already:
Would be very hard if even possible to achieve what SPYDERCO would come up with with all their knowledge, experience, capacities when THEY would design a 3.5" Native from scratch:
To try this diy (or have it done) appearantly involves a lot of skill, work, time and money, even for someone like you who knows what he is doing.

If Spyderco ever offers a perfectly designed 3.5" Native for a reasonable price: I´d definitely get and try one!
If not: I´ll keep on just imagining such a model and having fun discussing the idea of it! (AND hopefully looking at what YOU can come up with!! :smlling-eyes :clinking-mugs )
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Oh it does require some work for sure, it might even end up being bad depending on who does it and what happens while making it :woozy

If I ever make one, I'll still definitely buy the real deal if it comes into existence :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Hopefully Spyderco is catching on that a lot of people are willing to spend their money on this knife!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
R100

Post by R100 »

I for one really hope the 3.5" Native comes to pass and I'd certainly buy it. Saying there is no place for a Native this size between the Native 5 and Chief is surely the same as saying there is no place for the PM2 between the Para 3 and the Military?

Dan
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

R100 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:27 am
I for one really hope the 3.5" Native comes to pass and I'd certainly buy it. Saying there is no place for a Native this size between the Native 5 and Chief is surely the same as saying there is no place for the PM2 between the Para 3 and the Military?

Dan
I think much dissention towards this model come from those looking for the efforts from Spyderco to be invested in brand new models, that do not merely, or rather heavily, rely on an existing formatted model design to be conductive of such "new product" that we see revealed year after year. Hard to disagree with that want for more new-new at this point, however, Spyderco sure does know how to butter their bread, so I can't fault them for doing what they do.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think a mid sized Native is a fantastic idea.

With (or without, actually) a sabre or scandi grind it would be an excellent bushcraft or all-purpose field knife.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Whether Spyderco would ever consider making a 3.5" Native or not, the fact that there are people asking for this, that, and the other while production is backed up is actually a good predicament for Spyderco to be in. At least it shows that people (or at least knife afis) love their products, and want more from the company. It sure beats having no demand, and the accompanying sound of crickets.

I'm no expert in the knife industry, but that's how it appears to me from the outside, at least.

Jim
Flash

Post by Flash »

I would like a 3.5” blade native especially in g10, but would prefer to see a 3.5” Chaparral.

Spyderco doesn’t have many 2mm stock thickness blade at 3.5” length, nearly all of them are 3+mm stock thickness.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Flash wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:55 am
I would like a 3.5” blade native especially in g10, but would prefer to see a 3.5” Chaparral.

Spyderco doesn’t have many 2mm stock thickness blade at 3.5” length, nearly all of them are 3+mm stock thickness.

Well, I'd love to see a 3.5" Native... but everyone who knows me here also knows:
A Chap XL in exact that 3 5" blade size is something I'd love to see a 100 times more... ;)
viewtopic.php?t=85342