Thoughts on the spymyto???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eliteone2383

Thoughts on the spymyto???

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Haven't seen any talk on this beauty. What do you all think of it? Should I pick it up once it releases?
Stay sharp!
mikey177

Re: Thoughts on the spymyto???

Post by mikey177 »

There's already a thread discussing it.

Hard to find anything else to comment on until people actually get it in hand.

viewtopic.php?t=95657
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I think it may sell far beyond the typical Spyderco fan base due to it's design. I like the frame lock and the tab opening.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I held it at the Amsterdam meet. It looks good. But personally not a fan of it. Its has a typical lionsteel blade. (Thick behind the edge)
So cutting performance will not be like the typical spydie.
Not that it will be bad offcourse. But it will feel strange compared to a normal spydie.
fixall

Post by fixall »

apollo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:39 am
I held it at the Amsterdam meet. It looks good. But personally not a fan of it. Its has a typical lionsteel blade. (Thick behind the edge)
Not that it will be bad offcourse. But it will feel strange compared to a normal spydie.
How was the action? I’ve always felt Spyderco’s flippers were unfortunately some of the weaker offerings because of their action, with the Smock being the exception. I haven’t owned any since I had a Dice, Domino, Mantra 3 though.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

@apollo, did you notice if it had a hollow grind or a full flat grind?
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

fixall wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:41 pm
apollo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:39 am
How was the action? I’ve always felt Spyderco’s flippers were unfortunately some of the weaker offerings because of their action, with the Smock being the exception. I haven’t owned any since I had a Dice, Domino, Mantra 3 though.
The action was for me personally on the better side. But i would not call it perfect. Then again god knows how much have bin played with that particular sample that it does make it hard to say how the real knives will be.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:30 pm
@apollo, did you notice if it had a hollow grind or a full flat grind?
Flat grind... I was really disappointed but eh. It was pretty thick BTE, more than a Shaman. I pre-ordered one mostly because of the high hollow grind announced in the reveal and on the product page on their website. I'll see if I still enjoy it and its flat grind once they get in our hands !

Since it's M398, maybe a hollow was too ambitious and made the edge too fragile. But I would still have preferred a high angle for the flat grind so that it thins down quicker to a thinner apex.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Always good to see variety and collabs with other makers, but thick framelock flippers were never my thing. Maybe the hollow grind will help it slice, but I'll never understand 4mm stock on a folding knife.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Thanks for clarifying what kind of grind the Spymyto has, @Ramonade. Since I missed out on getting a Lil Lionspy years ago, I think I'll try to snag one of these so that I have an Italian Spydie with thick blade stock :smlling-eyes
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

mikey177 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:01 am
Thanks for clarifying what kind of grind the Spymyto has, @Ramonade. Since I missed out on getting a Lil Lionspy years ago, I think I'll try to snag one of these so that I have an Italian Spydie with thick blade stock :smlling-eyes
You're welcome ! I have to admit that I have enough slicers already, and maybe we'll have the surprise to see them all delivered with hollow grinds !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds