G-10 Hawkbill Anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

G-10 Hawkbill Anyone?

Post by JD Spydo »

With the old Harpy thread being rekindled I got to thinking about a subject I've suggested in the past couple of years. And that is to consider one of Spyderco's finer Hawkbill models with a G-10 handle. I've said a few times previously that a Spyderhawk and/or a Harpy with a G-10 handle would draw much interest to the Hawkbill sector.

But I also wouldn't be opposed to maybe a Dragonfly Hawk with a G-10 handle as well. I would like to know what the rest of you all think about that possibility. The G-10 Harpy is now one of the most sought after collector pieces and would even do better with an upgraded G-10 handle.
Danke

Re: G-10 Hawkbill Anyone?

Post by Danke »

Let's just bring the S.P.O.T. back.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm always interested.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Danke wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:14 am
Let's just bring the S.P.O.T. back.
Well let me see if I can remember this one correctly>> because I don't really recall the SPOT model being labeled a classic Hawkbill in the Spyderco line up. I did own 2 of them at one time. And the one SPOT model that I did use and kind of liked was the G-10 handled unit with the VG- 10 blade. Most of the others were made with AUS-6 blades if my memory serves me well.

For all intent and purposes the SPOT really didn't accomplish what I could get done with a Harpy or Spyderhawk model. But maybe you could label it a Hawkbill type blade. Also there has never been much talk of ever bringing it back in a Sprint Run. To me the SPOT was pretty much a collector's curiosity piece more than anything else. Overall it was just too small for my uses. Personally I think I'll pass on that one.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 am
I'm always interested.
Well Zrow over the years it seems like you and I have had similar tastes in most Spyderco models it seems. I personally would like to see the Harpy and Spyderhawk both offered with G-10 handles. I think if they had either of those models available in G-10 handles that professional gardeners, landscapers and seafaring trades would tend to take Spyderco Hawkbills far more seriously.

But what the heck I'm wide open for other suggestions at this juncture. G-10 handles just seem to display more of a quality item. I truly thought by now that Spyderco would have done another run of the G-10 Harpy. It sure is highly sought after by serious collectors.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The spot was actually black linen micarta (very beautiful) JD, it was one of models I believe made in the Moki factory. I owned a couple too and thought they were beautiful little self defense/edc utility tools. I wish I never sold them both, I’d love to see them make a return but they probably won’t.. I could see your suggestion with the harpy much more likely to happen, I like it just fine with the current stainless steel version but I think g10 would be a good option for people. The original spyderco folding knife handle shape is a timeless and functional shape
:bug-red-white
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My SPOTs are reverse-S. At that size, you get about 3/8" of hawkbill. At least the handle is almost big enough to hold on to, even though the ergonomics are terrible, at least for me.

I did get a chuckle this morning when I saw this thread right next to the "Upping the price" thread. Seemed like a perfect place for it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:24 am
The spot was actually black linen micarta (very beautiful) JD, it was one of models I believe made in the Moki factory. I owned a couple too and thought they were beautiful little self defense/edc utility tools. I wish I never sold them both, I’d love to see them make a return but they probably won’t.. I could see your suggestion with the harpy much more likely to happen, I like it just fine with the current stainless steel version but I think g10 would be a good option for people. The original spyderco folding knife handle shape is a timeless and functional shape
You are absolutely right. The deluxe version of the SPOT did have a Micarta handle on it. It's been so long since I owned those SPOT models I just simply forgot about it. And there were several other Spyderco models with Micarta handles during that era. And I do believe that the Micarta version did have a VG-10 blade instead of the AUS-6 blade that the plain stainless model had. It's been at least 15 years since I owned those.

And I'm ready to maybe do one Hawkbill with a G-10 handle to see how it sells before doing other models. That sure does make good business sense for sure. I carried/EDCed my G-10 Harpy for at least 6 to 7 years before it got stolen from me. And I've missed it very much since then. I did like the extra grip/purchase with the G-10 handle. And the present day G-10 material they are using is even far better than the G-10 of that era.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I STILL think a G-10 Spyderhawk/G-10 Harpy set is a good idea (it will never see fruition, but it's a good idea). I'm up for whatever we can get. When hawkbills first started coming out, I think it was an idea before its time. Now there are a lot more people who know how useful hawkbills actually are and can be.

I would love to see a G-10 Spyderhawk. And maybe a new G-10 Harpy. (I lost my old one and finding a replacement... )
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:43 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:24 am
You are absolutely right. The deluxe version of the SPOT did have a Micarta handle on it. It's been so long since I owned those SPOT models I just simply forgot about it. And there were several other Spyderco models with Micarta handles during that era. And I do believe that the Micarta version did have a VG-10 blade instead of the AUS-6 blade that the plain stainless model had. It's been at least 15 years since I owned those.

And I'm ready to maybe do one Hawkbill with a G-10 handle to see how it sells before doing other models. That sure does make good business sense for sure. I carried/EDCed my G-10 Harpy for at least 6 to 7 years before it got stolen from me. And I've missed it very much since then. I did like the extra grip/purchase with the G-10 handle. And the present day G-10 material they are using is even far better than the G-10 of that era.
Nothing tops that Moki micarta era of spyderco for me;)
I hope your idea comes to fruition!
:bug-red-white
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I like the idea, but I think all of the hawkbill models are Japanese and I don't want to pay the Japanese g10 tax. Maybe if they can make it in golden or Taichung?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd like a G10 Ladybug Hawkbill in PE.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:36 am
Also yes. And Dragonfly Hawkbill. And Lil Native Hawkbill.

There isn't a Hawkbill they make I wouldn't like in PE and G-10. Karahawk and P'kal are PE and G-10, but have very specialized handles. Superhawk is an amazing knife, but large for some uses, and I paid a lot for it, so it gets gently used.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
TomH

Post by TomH »

The micarta S.P.O.T. is one of my grail Spydercos. I remember a gentleman who had his own Webpage wherein he discussed "tools" for defense. His name escapes me now and his Site is gone. I believe his info in years past could be also found on James
Keatings Site. Anyway, when the S.P.O.T. was available, he felt that it was the best self-defense knife on the market. However, apparently most people never appreciated it.

I'd like to see it return and also a G-10 hawkbill. My Tasman Salts have gotten lots of use. Having a similar blade shape with a stronger handle material would be nice.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:51 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:36 am
Also yes. And Dragonfly Hawkbill. And Lil Native Hawkbill.

There isn't a Hawkbill they make I wouldn't like in PE and G-10. Karahawk and P'kal are PE and G-10, but have very specialized handles. Superhawk is an amazing knife, but large for some uses, and I paid a lot for it, so it gets gently used.
I have no issue whatsoever with the idea of one of the smaller Hawkbills being offered in G-10 scales. But for practical user purposes I still think that the Harpy and/or Spyderhawk models would be a much better platform to start from. There are far more vocations that could use Hawkbills on that size range.

It would actually sort of reinvent the Harpy model when you think about it. And it would give the Spyderhawk a completely new identity all together.

The past SUPERHAWK model with the peel ply Carbon Fiber handle I truly thought at that time was going to set a new standard for Spyderco's Hawkbills. But being the SUPERHAWK was only ever available in PE it had limited sales as a result unfortunately. But I also would love to see the rebirth of the Superhawk with a G-10 handle as well. At least give one or two of them a Sprint Run with those handles.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:13 am
But I also would love to see the rebirth of the Superhawk with a G-10 handle as well. At least give one or two of them a Sprint Run with those handles.
WITH teeth, please! ALL hawkbill knives should have an SE option! :winking-tongue
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Just think of a PE hawkbill as one large single serration scallop. :thinking

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:50 am
If my math is correct - a PE Hawkbill is one large serration scallop. Therefore, all PE Hawkbills are actually SE Hawkbills. In conclusion, ALL Hawkbills are SE! :nerd

;)
-Nick :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:01 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:50 am
If my math is correct - a PE Hawkbill is one large serration scallop. Therefore, all PE Hawkbills are actually SE Hawkbills. In conclusion, ALL Hawkbills are SE! :nerd

;)
I concur.

Coastal

Post by Coastal »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:13 am

Well Zrow...
After 3-ish years on the forum, I just now understands the meaning of ZrowsN1s. Nice.