Your Favorite Slysz Design And Why

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Pick Your Favorite

Techno 1
9%
Techno 2
7%
Original Bowie
29%
KnifeJoy Bowie
10%
Swayback
14%
SpydieChef
31%

Total votes: 70

Mister Coffee

Your Favorite Slysz Design And Why

Post by Mister Coffee »

Which is your favorite Spyderco Marcin Slysz design, and what are your reasons? I have three, and I would be very interested in your replies.

Thank you.
Attachments
This.jpg
yablanowitz

Re: Your Favorite Slysz Design And Why

Post by yablanowitz »

I have one - a Swayback - because it was on clearance at the last Seconds Sale. That is the only reason I have any of them.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I think the Swayback has the best looks. Unfortunately it doesn’t fit my hand.
Danke

Post by Danke »

For me it's the Spidiechef (Honorable Mention to the Swayback in my pocket today).

The Spidiechef is a very usable knife that also carries very well.

Also a shout out to the Spidiechef 2 on Macin's instagram & the WASP that you can't find anywhere.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

The blade finish on the Techno 2 is the best i've ever seen. Why this wasn't used on the Drunken is beyond me.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

My favorite is the Spydiechef because --being a Salt-- it seems like the most low-maintenance design among the choices.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Slysz Rat. Like the Bowie, but better :)

Lets make this :bug-red-white happen already!

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would say that the Spyderco Slysz Bowie is the big one of his that I've never been able to snag. A really good collaborator for Spyderco to be sure.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The original bowie by far!

Sadly enough i needed to part with it to buy my Nirvana . Wanted to buy another but was to late.
I am hoping some day there will be a slysz bowie 2. Since Eric told me the original will not return to production. ( besides exclusives offcoarse )

I do have the spydiechef now. And i like it allot.
But honestly besides me liking it i do not find it a very high quality design. Its framelock is the worst off all framelock/linerlock spydies i have ever handled.
When it locksup its strong but it does fail allot in engaging the lock for a lefty as me. And non other Spydie ever gave me that problem before!
Now i use it right handed and its perfectly fine that way but just knowing it does not always work left handed gives me bad vibes about its safety.
I wish there was a lefty tester at spyderco that way they could know if there any design tweaks needed to make a design safe for both left and right handed people.
GreyHounds for life :smiling-heart-eyes
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

The Spydiechef. Being a good slicer and corrosion resistant makes it a great EDC for my purposes. The ergo's are surprisingly good and I also love the design. It's a hard choice for me between the Spydiechef and the Techno 2 and Bowie. They have a lot going for them as well.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:05 am
The Spydiechef. Being a good slicer and corrosion resistant makes it a great EDC for my purposes. The ergo's are surprisingly good and I also love the design. It's a hard choice for me between the Spydiechef and the Techno 2 and Bowie. They have a lot going for them as well.
Ditto 👆👆👆
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I like the knives but will never spend money on a right handed frame lock being a lefty . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

It would be the SpydieChef if the lock interface was more to my liking.
So, even if I prefer the handle thickness of the Swayback, I'm voting OG Bowie just for the blade !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Disclaimer: I don’t like frame locks, grey on grey on grey knives and I am indifferent to titanium. So skip this post if these are your favorite things, I'm not trying to hurt feelings. Why am I replying to this thread? See username. Also I'm bored.

The Spydiechef is probably the only one I wouldn't sell immediately if it magically appeared in my collection. It’s not to my preferences, but the design is interesting and functional. Tall flat grind, salt materials and designed to be used on a cutting board. 👍

The swayback is pretty, but I don't think the designer understands how a swayback patterns work (or maybe just doesn’t care). A swayback handle is backwards for normal use and this one is too huge to use for paring cuts that swaybacks excel at. Maybe it's designed for folks with enormous hands? If they put a normal handle on it (of course then it wouldn’t be a swayback) or made it smaller this could’ve been a contender. I really like that high hollow sheepsfoot blade.

The technos are weird. They are overbuilt and overthick, yet are tiny little knives. Little knives are fine, but they need to be slicey little things or I have no interest. The 2 is better than the 1 but still a chunky boy. The techno 1 has 4.5mm stock on a 2.5" blade. That’s a little native and a half, nearly 2 dragonflies thick🤪

The Bowie is a solid design, but the Shabazz hype train drove the prices into the stratosphere (not entirely Nick’s fault, and he has actively said the prices are now ridiculous). I could sell it for enough money to buy two to three knives I like better. At least the special edition added some color to the sea of grey, although it lost the blade finish people really seemed to like on the original.

TLDR version: Slysz knives look pretty, but aren’t my favorite in materials, function or price range. I think the spydiechef is the best by a fairly large margin.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

My Slysz family (original releases). My favorite is the Bowie followed by the SpydieChef. The Swayback and Technos are also great, and I carry all these regularly. Certainly didn’t take Nick Shabazz to convince me how awesome the Bowie was, I made up my own mind on that well before his first review came out. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

My Favorite is the original Bowie. It is in my EDC rotation because it can do a lot of things well. And Second Choice is the Spydiechef. This is because it is so easy to maintain. It's a Salt with corrosion resistance and the Spydiechef is such a great slicer and good for EDC too! Honorable Mention goes to the Techno 2 because of its size and thickness. It feels good for being a smaller knife...even in my XXL hands.
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Techno1 little tank.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I voted for the KnifeJoy Bowie. It's the only one I've liked enough to buy. The contouring makes this knife feel better in hand than the others. The overtravel stop brings the knife up to market standards. The blue anodizing is just the right shade and texture. The hardware is subtle, not shiny "look at me". The blade is Spyderco slicey and has a nice blade-to-handle ratio, too.

- Richard
Danke

Post by Danke »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:04 am
Disclaimer: I don’t like frame locks, grey on grey on grey knives and I am indifferent to titanium. So skip this post if these are your favorite things, I'm not trying to hurt feelings. Why am I replying to this thread? See username. Also I'm bored.

The Spydiechef is probably the only one I wouldn't sell immediately if it magically appeared in my collection. It’s not to my preferences, but the design is interesting and functional. Tall flat grind, salt materials and designed to be used on a cutting board. 👍

The swayback is pretty, but I don't think the designer understands how a swayback patterns work (or maybe just doesn’t care). A swayback handle is backwards for normal use and this one is too huge to use for paring cuts that swaybacks excel at. Maybe it's designed for folks with enormous hands? If they put a normal handle on it (of course then it wouldn’t be a swayback) or made it smaller this could’ve been a contender. I really like that high hollow sheepsfoot blade.

The technos are weird. They are overbuilt and overthick, yet are tiny little knives. Little knives are fine, but they need to be slicey little things or I have no interest. The 2 is better than the 1 but still a chunky boy. The techno 1 has 4.5mm stock on a 2.5" blade. That’s a little native and a half, nearly 2 dragonflies thick🤪

The Bowie is a solid design, but the Shabazz hype train drove the prices into the stratosphere (not entirely Nick’s fault, and he has actively said the prices are now ridiculous). I could sell it for enough money to buy two to three knives I like better. At least the special edition added some color to the sea of grey, although it lost the blade finish people really seemed to like on the original.

TLDR version: Slysz knives look pretty, but aren’t my favorite in materials, function or price range. I think the spydiechef is the best by a fairly large margin.
I like big knives and I cannot lie

jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

Spydiechef with the Swayback as a close second.