Recommendations for a European traditionalist

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Palestrina

Re: Recommendations for a European traditionalist

Post by Palestrina »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:10 am
What I did not totally get so far:

- Do you, Palestrina, just want "dabble" into the world of modern folders a bit, but stay as close to "traditional" as possible (in this case perhaps something like a Chaparral with wood scales and its liners would be a good choice, also great for being carried without the clip) ?

- ... Or do you wish to make a more "radical change" (in this case linerless FRN, a serrated blade and a "modern" lock would be a way to go: Something like a Para 3 LW in SE for example) ?
I really want to carry a modern blade, and stop ruining my traditional folders for EDC tasks. I usually carry a Nontron Violon in a Böker Leather Sheath with the magnet clip, I don't want the knives to fly around in my pocket.

My Buck 110 is a bit too bulky and heavy to EDC at work.

A friend of mine showed me his Zero Tolerance ZT350 (???), and it felt nice an sturdy, I just did not like the looks. For some reason I scrolled through the Internet quite aimless not finding anything which appealed to me, until I needed to sharpen a kitchen knife, that's when I thought "Yeah, maybe I could check out Spyderco. I like their Sharpmaker, might give it a shot."

Yeah, and now here I am. Oh, and im quite a collector myself, so my wife already rolled her eyes when I started showing her Spyderco knives :rofl
First Spyderco, March 2024 - Lil' Native Back Lock C230MGPB

My User Name does not refer to a middle eastern region, but to an Italian composer of the most beautiful masses you'll ever hear. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, go check him out.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Palestrina wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:30 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:10 am
What I did not totally get so far:

- Do you, Palestrina, just want "dabble" into the world of modern folders a bit, but stay as close to "traditional" as possible (in this case perhaps something like a Chaparral with wood scales and its liners would be a good choice, also great for being carried without the clip) ?

- ... Or do you wish to make a more "radical change" (in this case linerless FRN, a serrated blade and a "modern" lock would be a way to go: Something like a Para 3 LW in SE for example) ?
I really want to carry a modern blade, and stop ruining my traditional folders for EDC tasks. I usually carry a Nontron Violon in a Böker Leather Sheath with the magnet clip, I don't want the knives to fly around in my pocket.

My Buck 110 is a bit too bulky and heavy to EDC at work.

Well, I think "modern" in the sense of a real departure from "old school" (NOT meant negatively!), traditional folders would be the Para 3 LW Salt https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C223YL/2483for example (not available yet though!):

The Para 3 is not my personal favorite platform and I personally prefer a backlock, but with the Para 3 LW Salt you´d get a maximum of "modern features" in a way:

- Linerless FRN handle
- Compression lock (and first implementation of this locktype in (almost) linerless FRN)
- Wire clip
- Very "modern" and rustproof Magnacut steel
- Very "modern, un-traditional" color (yellow... you could always dye it if you don´t like the color)
- Not sure if there´ll be a serrated version though, and serrations is what I´d highly recommend (and you have a sharpmaker already, percect for keeping serrations sharp even a bit quicker and easier than a plain edge)

Keep in mind though this is a rather small knife when it comes to available cutting edge!

If you want to stay a tad more "traditional" and also get an a bit larger, imo more universally useful size:
Endela SE in VG10 (also rather affordable) https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C243BK/1782

- backlock
- liners plus FRN
- a more "traditional" color (black)
- actually thinner blade stock than the Para 3 on a longer blade
- a lot of grip area
- very good serrations, for me personally better than a plain edge in almost any folder task.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

Thank you guys for all your kind and informative replies.

I've settled on the Lil Native and it arrived last week. My wife said it looks cute, it was available on Knives and Tools, so I pulled the trigger :)

My User Name does not refer to a middle eastern region, but to an Italian composer of the most beautiful masses you'll ever hear. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, go check him out.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Did you get the back lock or compression lock model? I have the back lock and it is a dandy little knife, to be sure.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:27 am
Did you get the back lock or compression lock model? I have the back lock and it is a dandy little knife, to be sure.
Hi, got the backlock, which was the logical choice for me since I am left-handed.

And I really love this knife. It's lightweight and feels strong at the same time.
Last edited by Palestrina on Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:

I may link the thread my fellow Austrian country man made about his new Lil Native (backlock, btw) since he posted a really nice write up about it which you might want to check out, Doc! :smlling-eyes

viewtopic.php?p=1777511#p1777511
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:44 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

I may link the thread my fellow Austrian country man made about his new Lil Native (backlock, btw) since he posted a really nice write up about it which you might want to check out, Doc! :smlling-eyes

viewtopic.php?p=1777511#p1777511
Thanks. I didn't see that one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:40 pm
Peter1960 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:03 am
Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:13 pm
In my limited experience Austrians like the endura and chaparral.
I seriously wonder what the background of this statement is and what distinguishes Austrian preferences for pocket knives from other nations? Maybe I'm a little too superficial, because after almost 20 years here in the forums and especially after 64 years of life in Austria, I have not yet found out.

Bernhard seems to be a nice guy and if he lives in my area (ich bin aus Niederösterreich), I can possibly help him, because I own one or the other Spydie ;)
I was a making a small joke. Wartstein is the only regular poster who I know is from Austria and he often endorses those two models. Therefore in my extremely limited experience, Austrians like the endura and chaparral. It's a small sample size joke. And much funnier now that I've explained it, as all jokes are.

I wasn't trying to stereotype or offend any Austrians. I love kangaroos.
I got the joke!