Recommendations for a European traditionalist

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: Recommendations for a European traditionalist

Post by Notsurewhy »

Peter1960 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:03 am
Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:13 pm
In my limited experience Austrians like the endura and chaparral.
I seriously wonder what the background of this statement is and what distinguishes Austrian preferences for pocket knives from other nations? Maybe I'm a little too superficial, because after almost 20 years here in the forums and especially after 64 years of life in Austria, I have not yet found out.

Bernhard seems to be a nice guy and if he lives in my area (ich bin aus Niederösterreich), I can possibly help him, because I own one or the other Spydie ;)
I was a making a small joke. Wartstein is the only regular poster who I know is from Austria and he often endorses those two models. Therefore in my extremely limited experience, Austrians like the endura and chaparral. It's a small sample size joke. And much funnier now that I've explained it, as all jokes are.

I wasn't trying to stereotype or offend any Austrians. I love kangaroos.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:40 pm
Peter1960 wrote:
Notsurewhy wrote:
I seriously wonder what the background of this statement is and what distinguishes Austrian preferences for pocket knives from other nations? Maybe I'm a little too superficial, because after almost 20 years here in the forums and especially after 64 years of life in Austria, I have not yet found out.

Bernhard seems to be a nice guy and if he lives in my area (ich bin aus Niederösterreich), I can possibly help him, because I own one or the other Spydie ;)
I was a making a small joke. Wartstein is the only regular poster who I know is from Austria and he often endorses those two models. Therefore in my extremely limited experience, Austrians like the endura and chaparral. It's a small sample size joke. And much funnier now that I've explained it, as all jokes are.

Well, there is Peter 1960 himself... a man with a much longer history with Spyderco and a lot more knowledge than I have.
Then we have Austrian Spyder Fan and Ric and Centurion and I am sure I can´t think of one or two right now...

But yes, all of them don´t post as many walls of texts as I use to do... which might not be a bad thing, I am rather working on following their example... ;)

/ Completely off topic, but bothering us Austrian knife enthusiasts a lot at the moment, and I just want to get it off my chest:
We´ve always been the country with probably the best knife laws in Europe, which means actually almost NO restrictions.
We can basically carry whatever we want.
NOW though our "great" politicians are thinking about forcing laws on us like most of the other European coutries have.
Main reason: A definitely tragic and horrific knife crime, where some mentally ill guy (not even an Austrian) slaughthered three prostitutes, for the sole reason that he "did not like women"..
Again, tragic and makes me really sad for the women and their close ones.. but of course this crazy bad guy did not use a folding knife and definitely would not have been bothered by any knife law.
The reaction of our minister of interior though literally is: "Who needs a weapon in public anyway, lets ban one hand opening folders". Just a draft bill so far, but I am worried.
So to all Austrians who might read this: Do what you can to stop them taking our freedom of carrying one of the oldest tools of mankind away!

/ Good one with the Kangaroos! :smirk

Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:21 am
Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:40 pm
Peter1960 wrote:
Notsurewhy wrote:

Well, there is Peter 1960 himself... a man with a much longer history with Spyderco and a lot more knowledge than I have.
Then we have Austrian Spyder Fan and Ric and Centurion and I am sure I can´t think of one or two right now...

But yes, all of them don´t post as many walls of texts as I use to do... which might not be a bad thing, I am rather working on following their example... ;)

/ Completely off topic, but bothering us Austrian knife enthusiasts a lot at the moment, and I just want to get it off my chest:
We´ve always been the country with probably the best knife laws in Europe, which means actually almost NO restrictions.
We can basically carry whatever we want.
NOW though our "great" politicians are thinking about forcing laws on us like most of the other European coutries have.
Main reason: A definitely tragic and horrific knife crime, where some mentally ill guy (not even an Austrian) slaughthered three prostitutes, for the sole reason that he "did not like women"..
Again, tragic and makes me really sad for the women and their close ones.. but of course this crazy bad guy did not use a folding knife and definitely would not have been bothered by any knife law.
The reaction of our minister of interior though literally is: "Who needs a weapon in public anyway, lets ban one hand opening folders". Just a draft bill so far, but I am worried.
So to all Austrians who might read this: Do what you can to stop them taking out freedom of carrying one of the oldest tools of mankind away!

/ Good one with the Kangaroos! :smirk

I knew there were a few other Austrians that post around here, but you're the only one I could remember as definitively Austrian. You lot fit in too well.

Politicians are the same everywhere. In the US the VAST majority of gun crimes are committed with handguns but nearly all of the legislation is targeted at "assault rifles". In the UK they want to ban pointed kitchen knives... Ever try to debone a chicken with a blunt tip? I hope common sense prevails in Austria, you probably need knives to protect you from all of the sharks.
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

You guys are amazing,

thanks for all this information, suggestions and insights. I won't be able to anser to every single one of you.

Know I pretty much know how - and where - to look ;)

As Wartstein said, our minister of interior affairs just announced they are working on a bill to restrict knives basically the same way as Germany or the UK does, so if this bill should pass it's going to be a UK PK or Lil Native Slipit anyways :)

Other than that, I'm waiting for knives and Tools to get the models I'm looking for back on stock. It will either be a Delica C11ZFPGR or a Native 5 C41GP5, depending on which one will be back on stock first.
Last edited by Palestrina on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
First Spyderco, March 2024 - Lil' Native Back Lock C230MGPB

My User Name does not refer to a middle eastern region, but to an Italian composer of the most beautiful masses you'll ever hear. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, go check him out.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Palestrina wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:28 am
As Wartstein said, our minister of interior affairs just announced they are working on a bill to restrict knives basically the same way as Germany or the UK does, so if this bill should pass it's going to be a UK PK or Lil Native Slipit anyways :)

Man, we can´t let that happen!

This is not only about knives, it is about fundamental principles.

The right to carry perhaps the oldest tool of mankind stripped away from each and every Austrian for no logical reason and without any data to support this (in Germany and especially in the UK there are actually MORE knife crimes than in Austria, despite their stupid superstrict laws...)?!

So please don´t just silently accept this. Write to the ministry, ask others to do so too.

I´d have nothing against a law that CAN be forced occasion-related.
So if a certain person really can´t be trusted with a folding knife - take it away. No different than you´d take the drivers licence from someone who is mentally or physically not fit to drive a car.
But don´t "take all drivers licences from each and every Austrian"... ;)

/ Sorry, this was actually pretty close to being political, not allowed on this forum.
Has to be said though.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:42 am
Palestrina wrote:

The right to carry perhaps the oldest tool of mankind stripped away from each and every Austrian for no logical reason and without any data to support this (in Germany and especially in the UK there are actually MORE knife crimes than in Austria, despite their stupid superstrict laws...)?!

So please don´t just silently accept this. Write to the ministry, ask others to do so too.

So if a certain person really can´t be trusted with a folding knife - take it away. No different than you´d take the drivers licence from someone who is mentally or physically not fit to drive a car.

/ Sorry, this was actually pretty close to being political, not allowed on this forum.
Has to be said though.
I feel for your law troubles friend and hope you may keep your freedom to carry what you wish.
On the other hand depending were you live i suspect even if that law comes not much will change....
Its one thing to make a law its another to enforce it.
And in the city's or public buildings like soccer stadiums or airfields its one thing. But unless Austria is fort knox with a 1000 cops per square meter i think outside of those spots you will never ever run into any trouble.
I mean here laws ar so goofy and grey they can call a tiny Victorinox a deadly weapon. But since we outside of the city's maybe see 1 or 2 cops a year from far away noboddy is scared of them. We just act nice in general and on top follow Chris reeves saying. Think twice cut once and then you will be fine and have fun with your spydies for your entire lifetime. :winking-tongue
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Well if you like the Buck 110, here's something to think about.
110EnduraCompare.JPG
That's an Endura with a slightly modded handle at top, and a slim Buck 110 on the bottom. In many ways the Endura has seemed like an improvement of the basic idea behind the 110 to me.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
sal

Post by sal »

Deleted. Sorry, Too political.

sal
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

deleted
Last edited by restless ghost on Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:42 pm
Deleted. Sorry, Too political.

sal

I actually read your post before you deleted it, Sal.

And I wholeheartedly agree and its good to know that there are still a lot of reasonable, decent people like you out there with common sense and valuing freedoms.

But, yes, quite political, my apologies if I went to far concerning the forum rules. I'll leave it with that.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Gernot,

I don't think that your comments were too political, just mine were.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

apollo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:21 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Palestrina wrote:

Has to be said though.
I feel for your law troubles friend and hope you may keep your freedom to carry what you wish.
On the other hand depending were you live i suspect even if that law comes not much will change....
Its one thing to make a law its another to enforce it.
And in the city's or public buildings like soccer stadiums or airfields its one thing. But unless Austria is fort knox with a 1000 cops per square meter i think outside of those spots you will never ever run into any trouble.
I mean here laws ar so goofy and grey they can call a tiny Victorinox a deadly weapon. But since we outside of the city's maybe see 1 or 2 cops a year from far away noboddy is scared of them. We just act nice in general and on top follow Chris reeves saying. Think twice cut once and then you will be fine and have fun with your spydies for your entire lifetime. :winking-tongue
This is my experience.
R100

Post by R100 »

Wartstein wrote:
Palestrina wrote:

Has to be said though.
So Gernot, I guess you'll be in the market for some deep carry pocket clips?

I can only hope if this new law does get through it will be tempered by common sense enforcement. In Australia the knife laws are technically quite strict but I've never found them too intrusive. I do spend most of my time in rural areas though and am discreet when in the city.

As far as recommendations for Palestrina go: as a traditional knife fan you will be used to carrying knives clipless in the pocket and the Delica is a great option here. Once you remove the clip a Delica only weighs about 2.1oz/60g and is thin enough to be almost unnoticeable in the pocket. The Chaparral is also great of course but I agree with Gernot that it is in a smaller size category. For me the extra 5mm of cutting edge makes the Delica more generally useful and the K390 version is outstanding.

Dan
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

R100 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:31 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Palestrina wrote:

Has to be said though.
So Gernot, I guess you'll be in the market for some deep carry pocket clips?

I can only hope if this new law does get through it will be tempered by common sense enforcement. In Australia the knife laws are technically quite strict but I've never found them too intrusive. I do spend most of my time in rural areas though and am discreet when in the city.

As far as recommendations for Palestrina go: as a traditional knife fan you will be used to carrying knives clipless in the pocket and the Delica is a great option here. Once you remove the clip a Delica only weighs about 2.1oz/60g and is thin enough to be almost unnoticeable in the pocket. The Chaparral is also great of course but I agree with Gernot that it is in a smaller size category. For me the extra 5mm of cutting edge makes the Delica more generally useful and the K390 version is outstanding.

Dan

Hey Dan,

As said I´ll stop talking about politics in this thread, but thanks for your words!

And while I´ve always been saying that of course a reason for deep carry is indeed, if one wants or has to conceil a knife more: No, I personally won´t change out my beloved "regular / shallow" clips, even if they really manage to end the status of Austria being an "island of reason and bliss" inside of Europe

/ As for recommendations for Palestrina: The Delica is a perfect first Spyderco and extremely capable EDC in any case and I also highly recommend it!

What I did not totally get so far:

- Do you, Palestrina, just want "dabble" into the world of modern folders a bit, but stay as close to "traditional" as possible (in this case perhaps something like a Chaparral with wood scales and its liners would be a good choice, also great for being carried without the clip) ?

- ... Or do you wish to make a more "radical change" (in this case linerless FRN, a serrated blade and a "modern" lock would be a way to go: Something like a Para 3 LW in SE for example) ?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:14 pm
Hey Gernot,

I don't think that your comments were too political, just mine were.

sal

Thanks, Sal! :smlling-eyes

In any case it was good to get this off my chest and that you provide a place with this forum where people can understand.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

High schools should offer a Spyderco Test Day a bit before graduation ! So that any european can hold most of Spyderco's line-up and decide which knife to go with entering adulthood !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:16 am
High schools should offer a Spyderco Test Day a bit before graduation ! So that any european can hold most of Spyderco's line-up and decide which knife to go with entering adulthood !
Oh dear lord no buddy ! If you see how clumsy the kids/teens have become in these new generations thanks to only holding ipads there entire life...
I think that would end in allot off trips to the nurses... :woozy
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

apollo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:16 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:16 am
Oh dear lord no buddy ! If you see how clumsy the kids/teens have become in these new generations thanks to only holding ipads there entire life...
I think that would end in allot off trips to the nurses... :woozy
They should all step by my classroom once in their scholarship, I make it a point that 5 years old know how to run, jump, and ask themselves "why" or "how" when faced to any situaiton :winking-tongue :squinting-tongue . But I'll admit this is getting harder and harder... Hope our species will still have opposable thumbs in a couple hundreds of years !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Palestrina wrote:

Has to be said though.
Welcome to Absurdistan aka Europe. Enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Welcome Palestrina, looks like you’re on the right track with a Delica or Native…make sure to keep us posted 👊