The best "worst" serrated knives I have ever owned.

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
hollowt1pz

Re: The best "worst" serrated knives I have ever owned.

Post by hollowt1pz »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:31 pm
Hey, Mike,

No problem. But you did come on to my forum and tell me that I have the worst serrations? I have been studying and promoting serrated edges for the past 45 years. I believe, and it is just my opinion, but I believe that I have the best solution for maintaining serrated edges and getting the best performance from them.

I have heard of, and tried many other alternatives and personally found them lacking, no offense Steel Toes. I always suggest magnification to those on this forum to clearly see what is happening on the edge of a cutting tool. Many have taken this advice and learned from it.

We can just agree to disagree.

sal

Hah no no man I never even thought that!. Until you said it that had never crossed my mind. That had to have been my wording with the title or something, my sincere apologies. I was always referring to these pos things that I don't even know what to call, surprisingly do work for normal people and just the general uh. Millennials gen z people that are lazy I just honestly had a random thought about it cause I was on the evals and whatnot so what my company failed to capitalize on... THAT was the honest intent behind this post; not that you don't know much more than I could dream about serrates I did kinda guess that ha. I just I suppose was looking for some nerdy answer as to recurves and angles that I have absolutely no experience with. Was just a random idea that I figured I could learn something at the same time but I'm not going to ask you to go over the... Decades of information that you have gathered on it of course but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to actually know.

An example: why are your serrations different on the z cut knives than your other kitchen ones? (They seem to be better to me but I'd like more experience with them to firmly say that..)

I'm sorry that this seems like I'm trying to take a power play on Spyderco or something like that heh, it's really not that I ain't THAT dumb yet it's just a nerd looking to learn lol.

Thanks for your patience sal. I'll do serrations research on my own if I want to learn it. Kinda how it should work anyway.
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:31 pm
Hey, Mike,

No problem. But you did come on to my forum and tell me that I have the worst serrations? I have been studying and promoting serrated edges for the past 45 years. I believe, and it is just my opinion, but I believe that I have the best solution for maintaining serrated edges and getting the best performance from them.

I have heard of, and tried many other alternatives and personally found them lacking, no offense Steel Toes. I always suggest magnification to those on this forum to clearly see what is happening on the edge of a cutting tool. Many have taken this advice and learned from it.

We can just agree to disagree.

sal
I have 1000x magnification capabilities just for the record, but now that I know how you read this post initially Sal, I take back what I said cause I would have told myself to... Go do some profanity filter stuff hahaha. Or stuff some profanity. This is why I hate the internet, how someone types and talks is totally different, take a guess who taught me that line. Heh.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My experience of the Kitchen Devil type serrations is that they arrive sharp, and as they wear the thin stock and fine (but blunt) teeth allow the knife to keep separating softer foodstuffs almost indefinitely, albeit without finesse or accuracy.

I far prefer properly sharp kitchen knives, both plain and serrated, but understand why much of the world appears content with the alternative.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Why would I be offended? The sharpmaker is a very proven system adopted by many forum folk and beyond. It's track record speaks volumes not whispers. I gave my sharpmaker away a decade ago to pick up the benchstone counterparts and have never looked back. I've had 12 years to dial in my own technique and found what works for me. I have no reason to be offended Sal, Water over a duck's back as far as I'm concerned. I am steeltoez after all and not glasstoez.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Steeltoes,

Sometimes my comments tend to rattle some. I have quite a few benchstones myself.

sal
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:24 am
My experience of the Kitchen Devil type serrations is that they arrive sharp, and as they wear the thin stock and fine (but blunt) teeth allow the knife to keep separating softer foodstuffs almost indefinitely, albeit without finesse or accuracy.

I far prefer properly sharp kitchen knives, both plain and serrated, but understand why much of the world appears content with the alternative.
This was my point and nothing more..go ahead and just close this thread or delete it @Administrator /mods, apologies. I wasn't apologizing to you @Steeltoez83, I was apologizing to @sal for putting a thread out that is text and can be read many ways, mainly being NOT how he read it at first and all is good there...it happens.
sal

Post by sal »

We're all good here. Time to move on. We generally don't close treads here. The folks that hang here generally are very civil.

sal
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

You indeed are and yes I kinda feel like.. an A hole because I know exactly why you read it how you did. I should have never really included Spyderco in the photos and 'succinctified' that I was just looking for information.

So, obviously sorry for the confusion and everything. I'm just the kind of guy that well, for this example, recently just got some of your bd1n kitchen knives. I've never owned a Spyderco kitchen knife(many outdoor ones) or anything like that probably because I make them myself and don't do serrations, so the different grinds on the z knives compared to the countertop puppy/critters (absolute genius design BTW) are.. obviously different and yeah I guess at the end of the day I'm trying to steal your knowledge as to the "why's" there. Well figure it out not steal. I joke. A lot actually, which doesn't come through text. And no sal, I'm not asking you to actually explain why they're different I'm assuming it's logistics related and it's irrelevant regardless. However I am officially stealing your countertop puppy idea 😜 sorry!

Edit: I'm genuinely curious why Jas has a problem with you. I'm gonna ask next time I see him. You seem like... Well I guess honestly you remind me of myself just not a mid aged total failure 🤣 I can rag on myself all day long lol.

-Mike

Edit: it's not my decision obviously but if you don't want to close this it probably could be moved to off topic which was where I was initially going to put it. I moderate some forums too, sorry for bringing that part of me here. Just attempting organization as a male 😆
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

Jason says that he has an account here, VeraX_Knives, and some issue with logging in. Until then this is from him -

This is weird lol.
Jason wrote:Hi mike and Spyderco forum members! @sal, I'm sorry for never being able to have a proper conversation over the world wide web. I could blame it on the fact that I am diagnosed as autistic, but there have been times where I have done and said things that were totally unnecessary and wrong. I will not do that here. Mike asked me to join to share information with people who want it, that's all I'm here for. I'm under the impression that the understanding is that I'm okay as long as it stays..PG.

I'm not a guy that really likes the world wide web, Mike knows this, so my apology about my past behavior is not bs. That's real but it doesn't change the internet, **** you guys even warned Mike about swear words when it blocks them! If anyone wants to actually understand me? Mike can attest to this. I do NOT do stupid people. I did not spend a decade learning what I do to just live normal life and the psychology sociology utter BS that "life" requires. I disagree there. You make your own life. In my opinion. I choose to not deal with people. I'll cite the 1971 SPE as a reason. That's real. I did not go to school for psychology. I started learning at 13 with running a dating advice forum. So personally, no, I do not believe there is an excuse to not fully understand _ology/people. Give me one thing that I should know more than how people work, if life is literally a game of said psychology.
hollowt1pz wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:47 am
Well I guess honestly you remind me of myself just not a mid aged total failure 🤣
Come on man :yawn

:winking-tongue
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Mike,

Eric wanted to try a more common serration on the Z-Cut models because of whom he is competing against.

Jay is welcome to join and converse here, but he will need to maintain our friendly platform. Maybe he's not been able to converse on forums before, but I do believe he will find folks here to be friendly knowledgeable adults.

I still maintain that you should purchase a K04SBL, a Sharpmaker and a 10X -12X magnifying loupe. higher magnification is not necessary for what we are discussing.

sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This has been a painful read. Very odd way to have conversation, I agree with Sal...time to move on from this one.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:46 pm
Hey Mike,

Eric wanted to try a more common serration on the Z-Cut models because of whom he is competing against.

Jay is welcome to join and converse here, but he will need to maintain our friendly platform. Maybe he's not been able to converse on forums before, but I do believe he will find folks here to be friendly knowledgeable adults.

I still maintain that you should purchase a K04SBL, a Sharpmaker and a 10X -12X magnifying loupe. higher magnification is not necessary for what we are discussing.

sal
True true. I have the little multiple 3x 5x 10x 15x 20x loupes and a top down and bottom up lit microscope, which I usually use 50x-100x for looking at a plain edge; but I still have no idea exactly what I am looking for on the serrations. I mean yeah I know it's mostly how .. it's the angle, spacing, depth of grind, but otherwise I don't know what to look for to get a specific cut profile with serrations. Yet*. Also I'll consider getting a sharpmaker, it would be faster and easier to use regardless of my hand doing it in a vise I'm assuming. I just have to check out other brands and whatnot to do my own due diligence, it's not that I don't trust you I do, just I've never had to do this so I'm curious what else is out there.

Can't say which I prefer yet, but the Z "more normal" one is my current go-to mostly just because I'm cutting sandwiches. They do initially stick, more than the more Spyderco type ones however I have noticed just because they're sharper pointed, but once you get going they work better than the other ones. Cutting ground turkey and tomato sandwiches they will grab a skin here and there still, but I haven't sharpened the z one yet where that tends to be more of an issue than the serrated counter critter.

About Jason, he says he has an account here but isn't receiving the emails so can't login. Should he just make a new account or is there something that you guys can do? He was saying that it said contact an administrator or something like that. I told him make a new account. Not sure what happened.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:00 pm
This has been a painful read. Very odd way to have conversation, I agree with Sal...time to move on from this one.
I'm sorry my man. 😔
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:24 am

I have to say that I have used these things personally and sure they do cut. What @ChrisinHove said is spot on. Although I have to add that I have tried cutting harder things and it takes forever to do, but still does it. These things can go to **** they ruin my entire business. You guys are right that the knowledgeable knife market is.. basically non-existent very few. All marketing. So Sal, next time Mike says that I don't respect you, just remember that's total bull 😉🤝 I think it may be coming back around however as the younger generations are the majority of my business and I think I can speak for Mike on that also. He doesn't have hope, I would be lying if I said that I fully did, but I want to hahaha.
You say E = mc² × I argue E² = m²c⁴ + p²c²
Jason Ward shockey01@gmail.com +1 412-726-8610 My Discord
sal

Post by sal »

I think that my knowledge and experience with serrated knives is fairly extensive. Probably more than most folks in the industry. That's why my first comment to Mike's thread was, "You're kidding, right"? Had he known more about Spyderco, or me, he wouldn't have come on like some kind of expert, which I do not consider him, or you to be?

sal
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm
I think that my knowledge and experience with serrated knives is fairly extensive. Probably more than most folks in the industry. That's why my first comment to Mike's thread was, "You're kidding, right"? Had he known more about Spyderco, or me, he wouldn't have come on like some kind of expert, which I do not consider him, or you to be?

sal
Sal I still think that you misunderstood the real purpose of the thread honestly brother and that's due to me. I wasn't like comparing them to Spyderco or any other knife type thing really at all. It was really that I didn't know the differences between the serrations.. well. EXACT differences and since I don't necessarily have the brain that you or Jason have, I'll be honest with you that yeah sure I suppose I honestly had good intentions with it but I was mostly using.. that one as an excuse to have one of you guys explain it to me lol 😆. I wasn't necessarily thinking about the.. connoisseur market? I mean ya I did have kinda an idea to.. make 'em. I just was thinking about the current market, cost to make and profit. I told you that Larrin and Jason have a lot in common remember? And figured they'd get along? Well I changed my theory. You and him actually have a lot in common it's rather funny to me. Larrin sticks to.. known science and whatnot where both of you question is there another way we did not think of. And for years you all fought on bladeforums for nothing hahaha. Life's ironic I suppose.
sal

Post by sal »

I sure don't remember arguing with anyone on Blade forums. Perhaps you have me mixed up with someone else?

sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This is making my brain hurt, but I can't turn away!! :spiral-eyes :spiral-eyes. Sal, you've got amazing patience.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm
I sure don't remember arguing with anyone on Blade forums. Perhaps you have me mixed up with someone else?

sal
He does. If my memory serves me right, we just had a disagreement in some topic at the most. Regardless, all good now!
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm
This is making my brain hurt, but I can't turn away!! :spiral-eyes :spiral-eyes. Sal, you've got amazing patience.
Yeah not really meant for a forum from someone who's a moderator on others. 😄 Plus hey 🙋, I enjoy being unique and entertaining to others 😘
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

Won't someone please think of the cutting boards? Those microserrations are the nemesis of my fine boards. I got a couple little free paring microserrated knives when purchasing Spydercos online....they are now banned from the kitchen, and relegated to garden or garage work. Even then, in 90% of cases, a *sharp* plain edge is fine.
:bug-red: H1, M4, 4v, 10v, Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut
MT; Z-max, Z-wear, Magnacut, SRS13, Rex76, M398, T15, K294, ZDP-189, HIC, AEB-L, SPY27, 15v
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

burlyspyder wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:26 am
Won't someone please think of the cutting boards? Those microserrations are the nemesis of my fine boards. I got a couple little free paring microserrated knives when purchasing Spydercos online....they are now banned from the kitchen, and relegated to garden or garage work. Even then, in 90% of cases, a *sharp* plain edge is fine.
This is interesting. You use nylon 3,3 or wood? Or polyethylene/teraphalate? This is where I could argue to Mike that you have a very valid point with as someone put them kitchen devil, I call em micro-serrates but the nomenclature isn't important, but I could have argued this and I didn't even think about it due to how my brain works. That's when it really would work like a freaking saw. Thanks for posting this one man. Although if I'm supposed to be contributing dialectical information here, I gotta say that I think this entire topic. Well no okay I know that this entire topic annoyed sal. I can obviously understand that one. Sal, if I didn't rather respect you, and Mike at the same time, I wouldn't be calling you out here on your normal human nature response to him about others on here educating us, which DID point in fact happen! :fist-bump

Jas