What year Police Model is my lefty??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dreban

What year Police Model is my lefty??

Post by Dreban »

Howdy, all. I’ve got this Police Model I bought in about, as memory serves, 1990? It’s a lefty and I believe it’s a Gen 1, just not a PIG model. Am I correct on the Gen 1? Is that correct? Any idea now many non-PIG gen 1s were made and how many of those were left-handed??

Much thanks!
Attachments
IMG_2024-03-07-085214.jpeg
IMG_2024-03-07-085240.jpeg
IMG_2024-03-07-085303.jpeg
phaust

Re: What year Police Model is my lefty??

Post by phaust »

Spydiewiki has some info https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C07_Police though unfortunately the "POLICE MODEL" labeled gen 1s don't have a count. I'd wonder if the 20% lefty number continued from the PIG though
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sorry, yours is a Gen2. It has the bevelled edges on the handle and the lock release is farther back than the first gen. No steel stamp would indicate approximately 1987 to 1990.

Here's a shot of a second gen about the same age between two first gens so you can see the difference.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of knowledge available here. I just happen to collect the Police Model.
Dreban

Post by Dreban »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:59 am
Sorry, yours is a Gen2. It has the bevelled edges on the handle and the lock release is farther back than the first gen. No steel stamp would indicate approximately 1987 to 1990.

Here's a shot of a second gen about the same age between two first gens so you can see the difference.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of knowledge available here. I just happen to collect the Police Model.

That makes sense. Thanks! Your pic helped! I remember getting it about 1990, so it must be the beginning of the 2nd Gens. I’m not too worried about it; never selling it. Was one of my first legit knife purchases. I just wish I’d hadn’t lost my grandfathers little Old Timer. That loss hurt. Now that I think on it, I lost my original CQC-10 in the SW desert one fine evening. I loved that one, too.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Dreban:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike