Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikey177

Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Post by mikey177 »

Spyderco's 50th founding anniversary is only two years away, in 2026.

I'm fairly sure management has already decided on what model they will use, but what would your guess be? And what special details could said knife contain like high-end handle scales and such?
Paul Ardbeg

Re: Spyderco 50th Anniversary Knife?

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

The first prd knife with the Spydiehole is the Worker. Maybe an updated version in CruCarta?

The Milie in CF and REX-121 💪🙏
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Just a wild guess , hopefully an early model with some updates as Paul suggested. I am open for just about any model and would be proud to have one . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, the Delica is the iconic Spyderco, so perhaps one of those in a special steel and scale material?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm joining Dan on that, an early model is my preference but I'd be okay with pretty much everything. It's more about the symbolic of it :)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'm wondering if it will be a US-made model since 50 years is the golden anniversary.

Though the Worker would indeed be a good choice and would be a chance to introduce the model to folks (like myself) who have never experienced it firsthand.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

In keeping with the current fervor, how about a magnacut Slyss Bowie... Just saying...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

UKPK in the fashion of a Kopa. I saw it in a dream. I'm willing it to happen. It would be a challenge. Golden is up for this challenge.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Synov

Post by Synov »

I think it will be the Military 2, Damascus and some kind of fancy handle.
Visualizing the Tradeoff of Higher Hardness
S90V: Manix XL CF Yojumbo CF Shaman CF Native 5 Fluted CF CPM-154/S90V: Manix 2 Magnacut: Native 5 Fluted Ti Damasteel: Native 5 40th Anniversary ZDP-189: Dragonfly 2 Nishijin N690Co: PITS XHP: Chaparral Birdseye Maple
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Worker.

Not FRN. Paul had a great idea with the CruCarta suggestion.

I feel the same way as Mikey. A chance for us new folks to experience the Worker first hand.
- Richard
Danke

Post by Danke »

Putting my chips on a PM2.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

My first guess was similar to Danke, a PM2, possibly with damascus blade and maybe rafir noble scales.

My second guess would have it be a never before seen Sal/Eric collaboration model done as a sprint run only edition. This would make it truly unique and possibly more highly sought after.

I'm guessing it isn't likely to be a large knife. While a large knife is attractive to some, a more mid-sized knife is attractive to a larger group. Of course, if it is to be left in a cabinet and not carried, that becomes less of an issue though it may limit the market to just collectors. I prefer my knives to be users, even the pretty ones.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

mikey177 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:24 am
I'm wondering if it will be a US-made model since 50 years is the golden anniversary.

Though the Worker would indeed be a good choice and would be a chance to introduce the model to folks (like myself) who have never experienced it firsthand.
That is a great comment , it would be nice to see one built in the new facility to honor the anniversary. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

(I said I'd like any model, with a preference for older ones, but If i had any choice, it'd be a Native 5 with the og blade pattern, deeper hollow)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:45 am
The first prd knife with the Spydiehole is the Worker. Maybe an updated version in CruCarta?

A Cru-carta Worker would be amazing. I would be all over that. As long as it doesn't have a bunch of obnoxious lettering emblazoned all over the blade. A tiny little "50th" in the area where they put the H1 logo on Salts would be plenty. Or even a small "50th" where the "H" is near the pivot on the Heinnie UKPK. The placement of the Heinnie "H" is my favorite. Nice and inconspicuous.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Whatever it is, it needs to have a 50/50 edge!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Ric

Post by Ric »

40th Anniversary
Spyderco Native 5 40th Anniversary Damascus C41CF40TH Limited Edition

I think it did not sell well.

It should be a true user. Maybe coming in a package of 2. One for using and one for the safe. Not too expensive might help.
benben

Post by benben »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:36 am
(I said I'd like any model, with a preference for older ones, but If i had any choice, it'd be a Native 5 with the og blade pattern, deeper hollow)
I like this….in Cru-wear!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

bobnikon wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:29 am
In keeping with the current fervor, how about a magnacut Slyss Bowie... Just saying...
A fiftieth anniversary knife of a design not of spyderco’s? 😂

How about a knife that spyderco themselves have actually designed?
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:24 pm
bobnikon wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:29 am
A fiftieth anniversary knife of a design not of spyderco’s? 😂

How about a knife that spyderco themselves have actually designed?
You may have missed the point where I said "keeping with the current fervor" :thinking

I don't think a $500 would make sense for the 50th. I agree that it should be a golden, and a Sal/Eric design. It should be affordable and accessible for the widest audience possible. Unfortunately that dismisses a number of designs, as someone noted above due to restrictions.

If going just by what I think it should be... probably a pm2, one of their most iconic designs and pretty much one of the most recommended "must haves" in just about every top 10 list. For my purposes, ideally XHP, wouldn't argue with k390, and some cool scales, maybe micarta, terotuff or CF. And it would be a good way to bring out the Bowie... ;)