Has Spyderco ever brought back a knife they discontinued? Not including dealer exclusives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
infinkc

Has Spyderco ever brought back a knife they discontinued? Not including dealer exclusives

Post by infinkc »

Just curious if there was one they discontinued, but decided to bring back? I can’t think of any, but there have been dealers that have brought back them as exclusives.
Enactive

Re: Has Spyderco ever brought back a knife they discontinued? Not including dealer exclusives

Post by Enactive »

Yes they have done many. The Ayoob and Viele Phoenix among others in recent years.
Danke

Re: Has Spyderco ever brought back a knife they discontinued? Not including dealer exclusives

Post by Danke »

Sure all the time. Dodo's, Rock Lobsters and they just did the Slysz Bowie.

What are you looking for?
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Starmate, if you want a regular production example that's not a sprint or exclusive.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spyderco has regularly done this in the form of sprint runs. (Also, as OP noted, numerous dealer exclusives)

As for discontinued regular production models being resurrected - it has happened but it’s rare.

The Spyderco Snap-It is one example that comes to mind.

There have also been a number of new iterations of discontinued models brought back. For example the Lil Temperance and Lil Temperance 2 were discontinued around 2003 and later brought back in 2017 in the form of a Lil Temperance 3.

Actually on that point too, the G10 Lil Temp 3 was then discontinued in 2019 and brought back in 2022 as an FRN version.
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The SpyderHawk has been resurrected twice.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

The Baby Horn came back as a Sprint run, along with the SB Caly JR.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Spyderco is making better knives now than they have in the past. I’ve got an older Police model and it’s great but parts of it look rough compared to today’s production. Same with my first Native.

Time marches on.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:23 pm
Spyderco is making better knives now than they have in the past. I’ve got an older Police model and it’s great but parts of it look rough compared to today’s production. Same with my first Native.

Time marches on.

I would say that's rather subjective.
I am sure Spyderco brings new iterations of models to the market with also the intention of making certain features "better".

This does not necessarily though has to be the case then for everyone.
To me for example Stretch "1" and Millie "1" are even better than their "2" versions.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:42 am

I am sure Spyderco brings new iterations of models to the market with also the intention of making certain features "better".

To me for example Stretch "1" and Millie "1" are even better than their "2" versions.
Oh I meant in terms of quality. For sure, not every iteration is a positive for everyone. I don’t care for the current Native LW, it’s ergonomically inferior to its predecessor. But the fit and finish is way better.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
zhyla wrote:

Time marches on.

Like you my friend there are multiple spydies i like more in theyre older version. But yeah i guess some have become to costly to make in comparison to theyre newer versions.
For example the millie 1 you mentioned against the 2 is a big difference.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
zhyla wrote:

Like you my friend there are multiple spydies i like more in theyre older version. But yeah i guess some have become to costly to make in comparison to theyre newer versions.
For example the millie 1 you mentioned against the 2 is a big difference.

I don´t want to start yet another Millie "1" vs Millie 2 discussion by any means (!), but I think like with probably most "higher number" versions (like 2 vs 1 or 4 vs 3) (production -)cost is not the main driving factor behind coming up with a newer version?

Yes, the Military 2 sells for significantly less than the original Military.

But I think this is due to the deliberate decision by Spyderco to invest in "streamlining" the production process for the Millie 2 and make it more cost efficient (Sal mentioned something along the lines that they did) - they could have done so with the Millie 1 instead (make its production process more efficient and "cheaper"), but understanably choose to invest in their newer and most likely in the long run more popular version.

/ But perhaps you meant that "it becomes to costly" for Spyderco to keep "1" and "2" versions in their lineup at the same time, regardless of the production costs - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I would rather guess that the Millie 2 can be cheaper as it's really similar to the Para 2 in structure and geometry so it can probably use the same machines with just some small tweaks to the process parameters.

Plus maybe the price is set lower to give the new model more traction in the market, though I hope that's not the case and the pricing stays somewhat consistent when new versions come out