AI art knows Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adancingmonkey

Re: AI art knows Spyderco

Post by adancingmonkey »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:04 am
riclaw wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:47 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:43 pm
So my question s; why AI? What is the advantage other than saving some money for some companies?

Time for a thread on predicting the future of the knife industry 20 years from now?

sal
Future of the knife industry ;)
how do you put a nail nick on a lightsaber?
Use the force!
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Two things slowing down the adoption and growth of AI are the availability of the best AI chips from Nvidia, and transformers that step down voltage on the lines to power buildings full of AI systems. There is already a huge backlog in transformers that will take years to work through.

One of the current arguments in AI is should governments prevent open source work on AI? Would you open source the Manhattan Project? AI presents a growing global security risk.

https://fortune.com/2024/03/04/elon-mus ... ce=twitter
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

:rofl AI is so ignorant and morally bankrupt you just have to laugh. Anyone trusting AI to make important decisions does not have a full deck.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1764857568952766693
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:35 am
:rofl AI is so ignorant and morally bankrupt you just have to laugh. Anyone trusting AI to make important decisions does not have a full deck.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1764857568952766693
Haha, at least (for now) this is some good comedy. I love how at the end it boils down to donating to some quacks. The future looks great!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:04 am
riclaw wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:47 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:43 pm
So my question s; why AI? What is the advantage other than saving some money for some companies?

Time for a thread on predicting the future of the knife industry 20 years from now?

sal
Future of the knife industry ;)
how do you put a nail nick on a lightsaber?
Very carefully? :winking-tongue
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:27 pm
I only see its value as ‘hey that’s a fun experiment’ but that’s it. I don’t think it should create “legitimate” content. And I believe it shouldn’t be intended to be “impressive” either. I suppose it’s impressive of the people who designed and engineered the technology. But what content the “a.i” computer generates is obviously much more valueless than a creation made by a real individuals imagination and efforts. I’m also really not liking the push on social platforming a.i, they have pushed a.i into a chat box on the Snapchat app. Facebook has created new meta a.i chat programs. A lot of apps are using a.i engines with fake digital people they expect you to form a personal connection to almost like in place of a legitimate connection to another living soul. It’s dark ****. I don’t think people who need real people care should be talking to robots as the solution.
I agree. The entire fascination with AI constructs feels like a mass hallucination. It can be useful as a tool in certain circumstances, but its use in making images and writing text, by its very nature, is derivative and devoid of any authentic voice.
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:50 pm
JayHenMac wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:21 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:51 pm
I can see a bunch of legal issues with AI. Patents and trademarks, etc.

sal
This is already a big issue in many industries including mine. The question is whether the output of the AI is the actual end product or just a tool/resource used to produce something. Where do designers get inspiration? Art? Nature? Force of function? Magazine images? AI generated images?

We run into issues with engineers using AI to develop code. Some argue that it's cheating, some argue that it's merely using better tools to produce a better product. Too many grey areas.

Yes, if someone rips off a patented product or design element, it's clearly a foul. What if they didn't but were simply using the AI to come up with ideas on which they base their work?

In my industry, ANY time AI is used as inspiration, or as a tool to develop code, or any solution, it has to be clearly and thoroughly documented. Even then the legal department can, and sometimes do, step in and kill a project. As they should.
Interesting post. It stands to reason that it’s the responsibility of the user to ensure - and if necessary, prove in court - that their ai result hasn’t infringed copyright, patents or ip.
I am torn over the AI issue. Is it an advancement in technology, or is it technology replacing industry? Is it both? My industry will inevitably be replaced by AI. I am in data analytics. Microsoft has already included an AI engine into the latest version of their office products that produce reports automatically. Companies in the data analytics space have already built automated tools that essentially replace analysts. It's inevitable for me. I can either jump on the AI bus or get run over by it.

Now for the topic at hand. If a knife maker uses AI to design a knife, and the AI clearly copies design elements or patented lock mechanisms in the output, the designer has to make some decisions about producing the knife according to the generated output or not. For now it's still ultimately in the hands of the designer. What will continue to impress me is designers who are able to come up with novel and unique designs.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

JayHenMac wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:46 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:50 pm
JayHenMac wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:21 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:51 pm
I can see a bunch of legal issues with AI. Patents and trademarks, etc.

sal
This is already a big issue in many industries including mine. The question is whether the output of the AI is the actual end product or just a tool/resource used to produce something. Where do designers get inspiration? Art? Nature? Force of function? Magazine images? AI generated images?

We run into issues with engineers using AI to develop code. Some argue that it's cheating, some argue that it's merely using better tools to produce a better product. Too many grey areas.

Yes, if someone rips off a patented product or design element, it's clearly a foul. What if they didn't but were simply using the AI to come up with ideas on which they base their work?

In my industry, ANY time AI is used as inspiration, or as a tool to develop code, or any solution, it has to be clearly and thoroughly documented. Even then the legal department can, and sometimes do, step in and kill a project. As they should.
Interesting post. It stands to reason that it’s the responsibility of the user to ensure - and if necessary, prove in court - that their ai result hasn’t infringed copyright, patents or ip.
I am torn over the AI issue. Is it an advancement in technology, or is it technology replacing industry? Is it both? My industry will inevitably be replaced by AI. I am in data analytics. Microsoft has already included an AI engine into the latest version of their office products that produce reports automatically. Companies in the data analytics space have already built automated tools that essentially replace analysts. It's inevitable for me. I can either jump on the AI bus or get run over by it.

Now for the topic at hand. If a knife maker uses AI to design a knife, and the AI clearly copies design elements or patented lock mechanisms in the output, the designer has to make some decisions about producing the knife according to the generated output or not. For now it's still ultimately in the hands of the designer. What will continue to impress me is designers who are able to come up with novel and unique designs.
I believe it is "both". AI is undoubtedly a technological advancement, and will certainly replace segments of industry. Automation has already accounted for the replacement of human labor in many industries, and with robotics becoming a real potential "employable alternative", the future of human labor within the economy is an interesting discussion. Whether-or-not AI is an achievement to enhance economy, or merely an advancement of technology, is a topic for debate. The human element and overall value within this technological advancement is the deeper mystery, IMO.

I do agree that regardless how the designer achieves their end-product, the product itself will be the most valuable part of the equation.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Weeping Minora,

Very astute. I agree. AI is a wild horse t this stage. Strong and powerful.

I think the question in design is going to be intellectual property. Programming parameters into design programs might work?

The economic and labor "discussions", I would love to partake.

sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

We can wring our hands about how some scary gadget is going to steal our jobs and send robots from the future to kill us, or we can marvel at what we currently have and use it to our benefit. Gronk the Caveman was faced with a similar dilemma. His friends and family feared for his untimely demise. Yet, Gronk persevered, harnessed fire, and today we enjoy the delicious barbecue that is the direct result of his labor.

What is AI doing for us today? In astrophysics, satellites and telescopes accumulate vast quantities of data that are not manageable by conventional computing. AI allows us to analyze the data for discovering new bodies, or to spot fleeting events that would otherwise go undetected. In medicine, AI can analyze millions of chemical compounds to figure out which might be candidates for treatment of diseases. In particle physics, AI sifts though common events to find the rare ones.

For those who are concerned, if there comes a day when you lose your job to AI, it's not the computer's fault. It's your own. Education is a lifelong process. No one other than yourself is responsible for improving the skillset required to maintain your viability as an employee.

How many elevator operators have you seen today? Switchboard operators? Milkmen? Film developers? Locomotive firemen? Tollbooth attendants? These folks weren't made obsolete by AI. If it's 1908 and you're a buggy whip salesman, get off your butt. The Model T is coming.

Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:05 pm

We can wring our hands about how some scary gadget is going to steal our jobs and send robots from the future to kill us…

For those who are concerned, if there comes a day when you lose your job to AI, it's not the computer's fault. It's your own. Education is a lifelong process. No one other than yourself is responsible for improving the skillset required to maintain your viability as an employee.

It is not AI in all its forms that is necessarily problematic.

Specifically, it is the AI image, video, and text generators. Those are riddled with ethical issues.

Artists are worried for their jobs because they know how insincere corporations can be. They are often so disconnected from their products that it seems a good idea to cut costs by automating every possible step.
They’ll eventually figure out you need a human artist to create a quality product and start hiring them again. But, that will not occur before many lose their income to AI models. As the AI models genuinely cannot advance without stealing the work of those very artists.

It’s corrupt. It’s corrupt, and we will have lost many great artists in the process.

It’s like burning the libraries because one thinks it’s a waste of money to curate books when we can just talk.
The curators will sadly lose their livelihoods, but someone will, eventaully, write again and lament an even greater loss.

It’s not just a problem of employment, but also a moral/ethical one.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Pacu0420

Post by Pacu0420 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:37 pm
If the hollow grind on that second one was real it would meet in the middle long before the edge (based on the apparent stock thickness at the spydie hole).

AI seems pretty heavy on the A and light on the I so far.
That's hilarious! So true! 😂
Top 5 EDC Spydies: S45VN Para3, S90V DLT PM2, MagnaCut Native5, Crucarta PM2, Maxamet Manix2
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:23 am
zhyla wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:48 am
apollo wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:07 am
Personally I detest AI and the over use of Robots in the industry.
I’m really curious if you are aware CNC machining is the dominant manufacturing method of knives now. The robots won.
CNC is not equivalent to Ai. Not even close.
I wholly agree: AI isn't a computer running a CNC machine - that is computer controlled mechanization (a powerful step to be sure).

As I understand it, the field of AI focuses on *machine learning*. From this perspective the development of a new knife design (or other artistic product) from specific inputs is proto-AI. The next step is an AI that is empowered to *learn and grow* from a given starting point (perhaps Knife One). Essentially Hal (from 2001 Space Odyssey) in the real world. My AI concerns go much farther than art: imagine a powerful system of Social Credit managed by AI.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Sounds like AI is the proverbial elephant being examined by several blind men, each experiencing a separate element of it.

For my part, my major interaction with AI is trying to reach corporations on the phone for service help or product information. I get the AI fem-bot that can't answer any question I have. It's great for answering simple questions I don't have (why would I even call with a simple question I could figure out on my own?), and it's great for wasting my time while it misunderstands me a dozen times in a row (regardless the number of times and ways I re-word the question and use synonyms in hopes that abject machine stupidity will understand), and it's great at getting me good and angry by the time a human answers. It's lousy for answering questions or actually helping in any way, however. It's more of a delay mechanism designed to frustrate or punish, as far as I can tell.

I recently read an article in the WSJ that interviewed CEOs and asked them what they used AI for. Over and over the answer was: "Customer Service." Or as Clark Howard calls it, "Customer Non-service." Now non-service can be offloaded to computers! Woo! Now that's progress.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:32 pm
I recently read an article in the WSJ that interviewed CEOs and asked them what they used AI for. Over and over the answer was: "Customer Service." Or as Clark Howard calls it, "Customer Non-service." Now non-service can be offloaded to computers! Woo! Now that's progress.
yes. now we don't have to pay the people that were placed in a position to make the customer think we care, but are also just incompetent enough to make the customer give up and take the loss.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

So long as AI does not infringe (intellectual property; job opportunities), or deceive (plagiarism; deepfakes), or accelerate change faster than the public can recognize and get comfortable with its consequences (algorithms; Skynet; the Matrix), I’m OK with it.

But, because my provisos are not being addressed, I must be guardedly OK with it, and insist on an Off switch.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'd like to see the list of "guessed next words" DEVIN went through to do this:

Last edited by shunsui on Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:22 pm
So long as AI does not infringe (intellectual property; job opportunities),
Job opportunities? Technology always eliminates jobs. Have you seen a car factory lately?

It may create new job opportunities but on the whole it’s rare to see an increase in low skilled jobs when a technology takes hold. Eventually we will need to pay a lot of people to not work.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:48 pm
...Eventually we will need to pay a lot of people to not work.
I think we do a lot of that already.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:48 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:22 pm
So long as AI does not infringe (intellectual property; job opportunities),
Job opportunities? Technology always eliminates jobs. Have you seen a car factory lately?

It may create new job opportunities but on the whole it’s rare to see an increase in low skilled jobs when a technology takes hold. Eventually we will need to pay a lot of people to not work.
I just read today that IBM is rapidly rolling out AI and they are letting go of 80% of their people in marketing and communications. I expect this is just the tip of the iceberg headed our way.

Tens of millions will lose their jobs due to AI and robotics. Some will get jobs due to these technologies but it will be far fewer than those laid off. These technologies will enhance the jobs of a lot of people, and those that can make the best of it are going to make out very well.

I saw an article... I think it was Chipotle who is rolling out an AI/robotics restaurant. McDonalds has already rolled out the menus that you order from that do away with an order taker.

This is all happening rapidly. The next 3 to 5 years are going to be quite different from the 1980's.