k390 serrated discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

k390 serrated discontinued?

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I am curious as to why spyderco has discontinued some models with k390 spyderegde?.... Is there something wrong with the steel with serrations?.... I only ask before I purchase one at a heavy discount......thanx
RugerNurse

Re: k390 serrated discontinued?

Post by RugerNurse »

Probably slow sales would be my guess. The posts I’ve seen here people give high praises. I would grab one if you want and at a discount
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
benben

Post by benben »

My serrated K390 Leafjumper is awesome, it's in my pocket right this second. I'd grab it!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

benben wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:02 am
My serrated K390 Leafjumper is awesome, it's in my pocket right this second. I'd grab it!
In my experience, K390 has been awesome in SE.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

No problem with SE k390 here either. The discounts on the discontinued are so good I ended up with one of each and two Police. It takes time to reprofile, so far I’ve only completed a Delica, but it’s so nice.
xnmw

Post by xnmw »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:45 am
No problem with SE k390 here either. The discounts on the discontinued are so good I ended up with one of each and two Police. It takes time to reprofile, so far I’ve only completed a Delica, but it’s so nice.
I'm *thiiiiiis* close to grabbing a second serrated police. So good
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I couple years ago I bagged a Police 4 K390 SE and it's been great. When they got discontinued and discounted, I picked up an Endura and a Delica. Buy it now, or forever regret it.
endura3

Post by endura3 »

I'll echo the comments that serrated K390 is pretty amazing. It holds up great in SE, and is easy enough to touch up on ceramic rods although you definitely want diamond or CBN to repair damage or reprofile. The serration grinds and blade geometry on the two models I have (endela and delica) are really good too - the best-performing SE knives I have in terms of geometry and cutting performance.

Pretty sure the discontinuations are just due to poor sales - when you're getting into serrated versions of speciality steel models I think it's just too niche of a product to support a wide offering of SE K390 knives, unfortunately.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

endura3 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:19 am
I'll echo the comments that serrated K390 is pretty amazing. It holds up great in SE, and is easy enough to touch up on ceramic rods although you definitely want diamond or CBN to repair damage or reprofile. The serration grinds and blade geometry on the two models I have (endela and delica) are really good too - the best-performing SE knives I have in terms of geometry and cutting performance.

Pretty sure the discontinuations are just due to poor sales - when you're getting into serrated versions of speciality steel models I think it's just too niche of a product to support a wide offering of SE K390 knives, unfortunately.

It has always been my concern that serrated SE would be hard on the corners of the CBN rods... but I understand now, that even with this hard steel for touch ups the corners of the ceramic rods should be just fine - I should start right now and start to look for a serrated K390 Endura here in Europe...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

xnmw wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:49 am
Hopsbreath wrote:
See if this can push you over the edge — there’s a guy on Etsy from Ukraine making good quality G10 scales for the Police. This set cost me $43. Image
xnmw

Post by xnmw »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:51 am
xnmw wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:
See if this can push you over the edge — there’s a guy on Etsy from Ukraine making good quality G10 scales for the Police. This set cost me $43. Image

Ohhhhh baby... I actually love the FRN on this model but that is tempting for a second one. It it just as slim? It would have to be, I'd think, with the same hardware...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:40 am
I should start right now and start to look for a serrated K390 Endura here in Europe...
You should get one quick! I have the Endela in K390 SE. Enjoy it so much I just bought a Delica in K390 SE on discount.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

xnmw wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:02 am
Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:51 am
xnmw wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:

Ohhhhh baby... I actually love the FRN on this model but that is tempting for a second one. It it just as slim? It would have to be, I'd think, with the same hardware...
Just as thin but a bit heavier. I prefer the measly 2.7 ounce Stretch 2XL when choosing a big lightweight SE knife, it’s what’s in my pocket today. The G10 handled serrated k390 Police is admittedly a bit ridiculous but fun to show off.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Hot dog! That's what I needed to hear folks, just ordered one. Thanx for the input.
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

I am too saddened. I just picked up another Endela SE K390 and have spent my monthly blade budget. I hope some Delicas and Police models are still around at the end of next month.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I got the SE k390 Delica recently. I am yet to sharpen it, but I should because it does mote catching on stuff than wanting to cut. But I am not looking forward to the shaprening.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Unless you're planning to reprofile, SE K390 sharpens up without any undue effort. Personally, I like to start by giving the beveled side a couple passes on the diamond triangles before switching to the brown ones, but it isn't necessary.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I saw the Police for $112. How much are the SE Delica and Endela going for? I'm tempted to get a non-stainless for a change, and I love the patina.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:17 pm
I saw the Police for $112. How much are the SE Delica and Endela going for? I'm tempted to get a non-stainless for a change, and I love the patina.
The K390 SE Endela was not discontinued. Just the Wharncliffes and Thin Blue/Red Lines. I got a Wharncliffe VG10 SE from National for about $58.

The K390 SE Delica can be had from National for $85.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks!