Looking for a kydex sheath for a Street Beat with a micarta handle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MrCharlie

Looking for a kydex sheath for a Street Beat with a micarta handle

Post by MrCharlie »

Hey folks. I've been a member for a long time, but its been a while since I've been active. Maybe as much as 13 years.

Anyway, I just scored a NIB Street Beat, the micarta-handled version. I want a taco-style kydex sheath for it, but the two online operations advertising such are set up only for the version with the frn handle. Does anyone know of anyone who can make one for me, preferably without me having to send my knife off?

Thanks much.
kerrcobra

Re: Looking for a kydex sheath for a Street Beat with a micarta handle

Post by kerrcobra »

Have you checked with Armatus Carry? I know they make one for the SB, but I don't know if it's the FRN only version or not. I want one of their sheaths for my SB. I have several of their sheaths for other knives, and the guy does solid work and makes a tight sheath. Even if he only had a sheath for the FRN version, he could probably just make it a little bit tighter to work on the micarta SB. I have several of both variants, and the FRN handle is only a hair thicker at the ricasso in my inexpert opinion from eyeballing it and using feel to judge.

Also, since I can't comment in a Street Beat thread without saying it, we need a Street Beat in K390!
--Jeremy
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I recommend you contact Christina Gere at SheathPro who made the sheaths for the Mule team and possibly (likely) for the Street Beat. (She is Sal’s daughter BTW.) Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spyderco does their sheath making in house now. I do not think SheathPro is still in operation.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

armatus carry sb sheath works with both versions.

i don't think it's a good design though. the thumb ramp push off location is in a poorly thought out spot in my opinion. for me its uncomfortable to use the push off on their sheath.

solid sheath other than that.
:unicorn
MrCharlie

Post by MrCharlie »

vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:32 am
armatus carry sb sheath works with both versions.

i don't think it's a good design though. the thumb ramp push off location is in a poorly thought out spot in my opinion. for me its uncomfortable to use the push off on their sheath.

solid sheath other than that.
So I'll happily buy the one from Armatus if it works. The other operation selling a Street Beat sheath is RK Custom. I sent a message to both Armatus and RK. RK indicated that theirs wouldn't work for the micarta version. I haven't heard back from Armatus yet.

Do you have personal experience with an Armatus sheath and a micarta handle? The fact that RK says it won't work makes me nervous.
MrCharlie

Post by MrCharlie »

Just heard back from Matt at Armatus Carry. He says that his sheath will work with the micarta version. My order is in. I'll post a report for the good of the order once I receive it.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Where did you find a NIB micarta street beat?
vivi

Post by vivi »

spydergoat wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:29 am
they pop up on ebay from time to time. I got a brand new one 2-3 years ago.

If I remember I'll post a picture of mine in the armatus sheath when I get home. Yes, I have tried the micarta version with that sheath and they work well together.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Retention is good enough to feel confident carrying it horizontal, and it doesn't scratch the blade when you draw the knife. It's a high quality sheath.

That's my only gripe. I never use the thumb push off feature of the sheath because it requires an awkward grip to utilize it and the index choil on the knife in a smooth draw.

Either way now I feel like carrying mine. Such a nice design.
MrCharlie

Post by MrCharlie »

vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:39 am
spydergoat wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:29 am
they pop up on ebay from time to time. I got a brand new one 2-3 years ago.

If I remember I'll post a picture of mine in the armatus sheath when I get home. Yes, I have tried the micarta version with that sheath and they work well together.
This. Got lucky. Paid $220, which I was totally fine with. It's my all-time favorite knife. Always has been.