Military Sprint Runs No More?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: Military Sprint Runs No More?

Post by yablanowitz »

Okay, now I'm different confused. How is that "making it smaller"? It looks like you are making it larger (distance from the blade kick to the first point on the handle, which is the area the index finger would occupy when choking up).
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:17 pm
Okay, now I'm different confused. How is that "making it smaller"? It looks like you are making it larger (distance from the blade kick to the first point on the handle, which is the area the index finger would occupy when choking up).
You’re going to have to excuse the crude paint lines but like I already explained, by reducing the length of the arc. If that’s not clear to you, that’s not my problem.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:21 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:36 am
I’m not talking about aftermarket scales. Removing material from the stock scales does not require aftermarket scales.

Honestly, I can’t tell what the point you’re trying to make is. You’re so focused on the semantics that I’m confused by what you’re trying to say. It kind of feels like disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing.

? Not sure what I should make of that ?

Of course I don´t "want to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing" - ?!
I just honestly don´t understand what you mean, but am really interested in doing so (understanding).

Your point is that it would be easier to make a choil smaller than to make it larger.
No offense, but your drawings don´t really tell me how you mean that?

- A choil basically is created by "removing" material / creating a cutout in blade and/or handle.
- Remove more, and the choil gets larger - technically not hard to do
- But to make the choil SMALLER again, one would have to ADD material - much harder to do.
- I can see that one could reduce the front and/or rear "guard" of a choil - but that in fact would create rather MORE grip area for the finger (though it would be less "protected" then).

Anyway, not the most important thing in the world, so don´t reply if you don´t feel like it anymore!
I just hope that you can see: I am/was honestly interested in your thoughts and so honestly tried to understand. Could be me who is missing something here of course. :clinking-mugs
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:46 pm
- Remove more, and the choil gets larger - technically not hard to do
- But to make the choil SMALLER again, one would have to ADD material - much harder to do.
- I can see that one could reduce the front and/or rear "guard" of a choil - but that in fact would create rather MORE grip area for the finger (though it would be less "protected" then).
Which one of these two choils is smaller?

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

yablanowitz wrote:
I think he means shallower. At least, that is how I understand him. He is talking the same mod that I said, somewhere, that I would immediately do to the Millie 2. That is, grind that finger bump thing down so it is not in the way and the choi is shallower because of it, though the cut in the blade is still as deep. Does that make sense?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kobold

Post by kobold »

I just asked my local dealer to get me a Camo DLC Military. JIC, before they're gone too.
If I will have a DLC coated blade, let it be a Millie. Also, strangely, I don't have anything in my entire collection in S30V, which is a classic of the blade steel category.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:46 pm
Which one of these two choils is smaller?

Doc Dan wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
I think he means shallower. At least, that is how I understand him. He is talking the same mod that I said, somewhere, that I would immediately do to the Millie 2. That is, grind that finger bump thing down so it is not in the way and the choi is shallower because of it, though the cut in the blade is still as deep. Does that make sense?

I now actually think Nick absolutely has a point here that I could not see at first, but now can due to the pic he shared!

I mean if you´d file down the "rear guard" of the Stretch 2 in the second pic, it actually WOULD become a shorter choil, right? So definitely "smaller" in a way.

It would not get "smaller" in the dimension I mean though (not really "shallower" when it comes to the radius), but still Nick is right.

/ On another note the pic illustrates very well what I like in choils and how I prefer "flat", shallow, wide-radiussed but short ones:

The Stretch 1 (left) has a shorter choil than the Stretch 2 (right) - but the Stretch 1 choil has a wider radius (so if you´d complete the Stretch 1 and Stretch 2 choils to full circles, the Stretch 1 "circle" would be larger)

This just feels better to me personally and somehow gives me more control.
Might be due to how I hold knives or perhaps only due to what I am used to. After all, I also really like to choke up on Endura style ricassos - something most people perhaps do, but don´t really like or even prefer over using a dedicated choil.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Nick’s idea has legs but reshaping the Military2’s scales cannot perfectly mimic the Military Model’s choil. Turn both models on their spines and see why.

But, if modding is not your thing, and to the OP’s question about future OG sprints, it’s not difficult to imagine eBay as “re-sprinting” Military Models, given the many presently for sale there.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:44 am
It's interesting to me there's always more people lamenting the end of the Military 1 sprints than there are people posting Military 1 sprints in the daily carry thread. By a wide margin, too.
Some of us don't post in the daily carry thread. I have never been vain or narcissistic enough to believe the whole world needs to know I have a St.Nick's 4V Military in my pocket every day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 am
Nick’s idea has legs but reshaping the Military2’s scales cannot perfectly mimic the Military Model’s choil. Turn both models on their spines and see why.

This.

Nick is right in that a choil can actually be made shorter by filing down the "rear guard", something I did not get at first for whatever reason.

But specifically modding a Millie 2 choil into a Millie 1 choil is another story... the things I prefer in the original choil over the Millie 2 choil could not be replicated by that.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:12 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:44 am
It's interesting to me there's always more people lamenting the end of the Military 1 sprints than there are people posting Military 1 sprints in the daily carry thread. By a wide margin, too.
Some of us don't post in the daily carry thread. I have never been vain or narcissistic enough to believe the whole world needs to know I have a St.Nick's 4V Military in my pocket every day.
wide margin = more than one person.

Look through all the threads lamenting the changes between gens on this model then think about how many of those posters have shown off a Military 1 in the photo thread in the past year. It's interesting how much of a discrepancy there is between those numbers.

It'd be like if I got all up in arms about changes to the latest Dragonfly or PITS. Everyone here knows I never carry those.

and lol at calling 95% of the forum vain and narcissistic.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:27 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 am

This.

Nick is right in that a choil can actually be made shorter by filing down the "rear guard", something I did not get at first for whatever reason.

But specifically modding a Millie 2 choil into a Millie 1 choil is another story... the things I prefer in the original choil over the Millie 2 choil could not be replicated by that.
I agree with that - the original Military Model scales could not be replicated by modifying the stock Military 2 scales. (That wasn’t my point though.)

I lined the knives up as close as I could get them at the front and back of the handles. The differences can be seen at the bottom of the scales. (Military Model on bottom, Military 2 on top)

Lining the knives up this way also helps to visualize my original point about how the Military Model’s finger choil is “smaller” than the Military 2.