Calypso Jr Sprint Run Considerations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What combo would you like to see?

SPY27/Cobalt Blue FRN
19%
CRUWEAR/Gray FRN
13%
ZDP/British Racing Green FRN
8%
HAP40/Forest Green FRN
13%
K390/Blue FRN
13%
VG-10/Ivory FRN
5%
LC200N/Salt Green FRN
8%
Other (Please Specify Your Preference Below)
3%
Satin/Stonewash Clip
11%
Black Clip
8%

Total votes: 189

weeping minora

Re: Calypso Jr Sprint Run Considerations

Post by weeping minora »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:17 pm
Farmer wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:18 pm
I'd really like to give this model another go but the QC would have to be a massive step up from the grey VG10 I purchased maybe 15+ years ago. The scales splayed out either side of the blade and there was an epic amount of blade play. It was literally the worst Spyderco I've ever seen. Such a shame cos the pattern was very appealing - even to a choir hater like myself!
I have to agree. I found this knife to be one of the most underwhelming Spyderco's I've ever handled (I had the Super Blue sprint) It felt so rigid, blocky and honestly cheap compared to all the other models I've handled. No jimping was very strange too. There's a reason knives become discontinued! Many other better, comparable, updated models to spruce up out there besides this dinosaur!
I understand the discontent with previous iterations of this knife, however, I believe that this is a way for Spyderco to gauge and give the maker another shot to see where the future efforts with said maker go. Of course, this is only a personal hunch. I really don't see the reason to shut this idea down before it ever gets a chance to prove its worth (both the model and the maker). Many folks are interested and eager to see where the updated Caly series goes, and ultimately when it will be available to be purchased. I have a feeling that the outcome of this Sprint will undoubtedly determine whether or not the maker can fulfill that market within Spyderco's standards, or not, which will perhaps determine the overall outcome of the worth of the Caly series. Knowing how loyal Spyderco has been, and continues to be with its manufacturers, this could spell the ultimate end of, or the revitalization of the Caly series. Regardless my opinions, there is undoubtedly enough traction and interest to "unearth this dinosaur", at least one more time.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:41 am
It sounds like from Sal's comments on the molds, we are pretty much married to fish scaled FRN. So no savings in steel options to get another scale material unfortunately.
Maybe not at first, I realize the first iteration of it to come back will likely be the frn version. But it wasn’t specifically stated there couldn’t be a possibly sometime in the future for the micarta calypsos to make a comeback. And if you combine it with a more budget friendly steel maybe we’re more likely to see it happen. Just my personal suggestions
:bug-red-white
Tristan_david2001

In my belief the Caly series should be in production alone for how much its design is an iconic symbol for spyderco, regardless of the few naysayers
dan31

Post by dan31 »

HAP40 would be awesome!
4077th

Post by 4077th »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:50 pm
In my belief the Caly series should be in production alone for how much its design is an iconic symbol for spyderco, regardless of the few naysayers
Preach it brother. Add serrations to that speech and a huge American flag backdrop and you'll be like General Patton talking about taking ground.
4077th

Post by 4077th »

...But it wasn’t specifically stated there couldn’t be a possibly sometime in the future for the micarta calypsos to make a comeback...
It has been specifically stated. Check the forums. Unlined micarta lockbacks are Elvis gone. Lock geometry changes when micarta gets wet. Liability issues. So like Elvis records, listen to whatcha got, cause they's no mo.
Tristan_david2001

4077th wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:40 pm
...But it wasn’t specifically stated there couldn’t be a possibly sometime in the future for the micarta calypsos to make a comeback...
It has been specifically stated. Check the forums. Unlined micarta lockbacks are Elvis gone. Lock geometry changes when micarta gets wet. Liability issues. So like Elvis records, listen to whatcha got, cause they's no mo.
I wouldn’t mind micarta on top of steel liners. That is actually what I’m suggesting. My bad for leaving that part out
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Big fan of this model (I have them all) and I certainly would love to see another sprint run. Here’s the link to a thread about the most recent Super Blue version.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82800

There was discussion about the lockbar and blade not lining up correctly on lots of these (mine included), however that doesn’t stop me from carrying and loving that one! I especially like that it wasn’t cladded with a softer steel overlay — it’s all glorious Super Blue! I’m hoping a potential new one would follow suit. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Another big fan of the Caly Jr. and the wonderful fishscale pattern. I'd prefer some sort of high Rc PM blade in it, but would also be happy with any of the medium hardness PM steels. Much as I appreciate tool steels I'd prefer stainless for the C-Jr, since I use it as a working knife and don't have time to baby it.

My old ZDP Caly Jr still gets lots of carry time, despite all the newer knives that have been offered since. It's just that good; I've never been able to replace it with an equivalent ultra lightweight knife with 3" blade that works as well for me.

Yeah, some thumb jimping would be nice. If you look closely, you'll see I added it to mine. It was just a matter of running a small carbide engraving bit across the thumb-contact area.
Attachments
Caly Jr Primaries 2.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
sal

Post by sal »

FYI. The Calypso jr is a very unique design.

Some history; It was an early attempt at a design to include more effective bi-directional texture, (fish scales). I wanted to be under 3.0" in total blade length for legal reasons. it had a finger choil for close control and safety, and it was tooled up for FRN. To me it was kinda like a larger Dragonfly and a good EDC. The knife was not as popular as we'd hoped, at the time, but ran on and off for about 10 years.

Then when I worked with the British forumites to create the UK Pen Knife, my minds eye was looking in the direction of the Calypso jr because it had to be; under 3.0", non-locking, and the finger choil is an effective stop against accidental cut from folding a non locker. We were allowed to keep the one hand open, so springs were critical. When the design was finally refined for the model, we began building the UK Pen Knife, primarily for the Brits.

Then we thought that the same pattern could be used for a locking knife, which was the same pattern that we used for the Caly 3, which was an evolution that began with the Calypso jr.

Now, we're trying to create a line of "Caly family". Similar "Cockpit", but different blade lengths. (2.5", 3.0", 3.5", 4.0") and pendants of the same shape.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:06 am

Thanks for the insight, Sal!

... and may I ask: Is there any chance for a tip up option on a potential sprint or would you like to stay as close to the original as possible?
I get that the latter also has its charme and I guess, since the molds already (still...) exist, perhaps adding holes for tip up is not an option anyway?

/ Btw.: Can´t wait for the Caly 3.5 LW... :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Clip locations are molded into the FRN mold. It would require a re-design of the molds to add a tip up option. Probably not worth the cost of the modifications needed. We did it on the recent Massad Ayoob Sprint by adding screw construction, it presented challenges we'd prefer to avoid. And it wasn't FRN.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:51 am
Clip locations are molded into the FRN mold. It would require a re-design of the molds to add a tip up option. Probably not worth the cost of the modifications needed. We did it on the recent Massad Ayoob Sprint by adding screw construction, it presented challenges we'd prefer to avoid. And it wasn't FRN.

sal

Thanks, Sal!
I fully understand - and as said, bringing back the true original has its charme too anyway! :smlling-eyes
I would probably come up with some diy tip up solution for myself by mounting a clip into the lanyard hole. Just so used to tip up and prefer it.

/ This size of knife is kind of a "niche" category for me personally, but I can totally see the Calypso Jr filling a spot there for the days I want to carry "small"!
Weight, blade shape, tip shape and - position, lock, handle material, style of choil,and also the "history and background"... all very much to my liking.
Hoping this will become a reality...(and for some nice tool steel.. ;) )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:32 pm
jabba359 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:26 am
I can't help but feel that the LC200N salt version is very appropriate for a knife with fish scales.
I agree and I think the LC200N green would be great color for it.
———

Nick, in your pic the Jr. seems to have a sharpening notch (not sure, hard to see on my small cellphone screen right now) - ?

Is this so? And if, does it come like this from the factory (don´t think so, or was Spyderco not that strict in putting NO sharpening notches into inhouse models in their earlier days?) ?

Anway, IF this is a sharpening notch it looks like a "clever" one - just partly and not as a whole in the edge itself.

(I still would not care for it personally. Just not my thing).
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Mushroom wrote:
jabba359 wrote:
I can't help but feel that the LC200N salt version is very appropriate for a knife with fish scales.

———

What kinda ice fishing you up to? Never seen a set-up like that.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:06 am

Some history; It was an early attempt at a design to include more effective bi-directional texture, (fish scales). I wanted to be under 3.0" in total blade length for legal reasons. it had a finger choil for close control and safety, and it was tooled up for FRN. To me it was kinda like a larger Dragonfly and a good EDC. The knife was not as popular as we'd hoped, at the time, but ran on and off for about 10 years.

Then when I worked with the British forumites to create the UK Pen Knife, my minds eye was looking in the direction of the Calypso jr because it had to be; under 3.0", non-locking, and the finger choil is an effective stop against accidental cut from folding a non locker. We were allowed to keep the one hand open, so springs were critical. When the design was finally refined for the model, we began building the UK Pen Knife, primarily for the Brits.

Then we thought that the same pattern could be used for a locking knife, which was the same pattern that we used for the Caly 3, which was an evolution that began with the Calypso jr.

Now, we're trying to create a line of "Caly family". Similar "Cockpit", but different blade lengths. (2.5", 3.0", 3.5", 4.0") and pendants of the same shape.

sal
I don't have the cojones to question you, but wasn't the CX04 kinda the first Calypso Jr? It, and its official C52 counterpart are certainly the oldest ones i personally own. I always thought the FRN came later, after the SS and Micarta ones.
All the best!
Larry

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
attila

Post by attila »

I initially leaned towards ZDP, but I think making it a quasi-Salt with Magnacut would be excellent with the fish scale pattern.

Regardless of the steel type, I strongly oppose the sharpening notch. A sharpening notch should not be forced on those who don’t want one.

A nice benefit is that this would cut down on some small amount of manufacturing labor.

Also, I was very disappointed with my Superblue Caly Jr. because both samples I had had badly warped/curved blades. Hopefully, the manufacturer can make a straight blade in this sprint.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:10 am
Mushroom wrote:
jabba359 wrote:
———
https://i.imgur.com/IrBIbGo.jpg

Nick, in your pic the Jr. seems to have a sharpening notch (not sure, hard to see on my small cellphone screen right now) - ?

Is this so? And if, does it come like this from the factory (don´t think so, or was Spyderco not that strict in putting NO sharpening notches into inhouse models in their earlier days?) ?

Anway, IF this is a sharpening notch it looks like a "clever" one - just partly and not as a whole in the edge itself.

(I still would not care for it personally. Just not my thing).
Hi Gernot, you are correct. The Caly Jr. does have a sharpening notch from the factory. Personally, I could do without it as well but I looked past that just to try the model. :bug-white :respect
Meadowlark wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:19 am
Mushroom wrote:
jabba359 wrote:

———

https://i.imgur.com/Wom3ovt.jpg
What kinda ice fishing you up to? Never seen a set-up like that.
This photo is from a couple years ago but either way, I was fishing with tip-ups targeting species like Northern Pike, Chain Pickerel, Bass, and Trout. I like using a 20 lb or 30 lb coated main line and a 20 lb fluorocarbon leader.

I was mostly carrying the Caly Jr. as a novelty that day because of the fish scales. :grin-squint It didn't necessarily excel at anything related to ice fishing but it held its own for the day.
-Nick :bug-red
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:51 am

sal
Would it require a re-mold of the FRN for the maker to include screw construction (instead of pins) for this run/future runs?
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Tristan_david2001

Bolster wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:16 pm
Another big fan of the Caly Jr. and the wonderful fishscale pattern. I'd prefer some sort of high Rc PM blade in it, but would also be happy with any of the medium hardness PM steels. Much as I appreciate tool steels I'd prefer stainless for the C-Jr, since I use it as a working knife and don't have time to baby it.

My old ZDP Caly Jr still gets lots of carry time, despite all the newer knives that have been offered since. It's just that good; I've never been able to replace it with an equivalent ultra lightweight knife with 3" blade that works as well for me.

Yeah, some thumb jimping would be nice. If you look closely, you'll see I added it to mine. It was just a matter of running a small carbide engraving bit across the thumb-contact area.
Hey bolster, I’m curious do you prefer the calypso pattern over the calys ? Say like a frn calypso jr or a frn caly 3, which pattern do you prefer ?
This ones always been a dilemma for me, there are things I prefer about each of them, calys and calypsos. I tend to like the c54 design the best out of the family, as a user, that blade length is probably the most efficient cutter out of the family, the handle is also nice and hand filling, the most manipulable too imo.