Calypso Jr Sprint Run Considerations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What combo would you like to see?

SPY27/Cobalt Blue FRN
19%
CRUWEAR/Gray FRN
13%
ZDP/British Racing Green FRN
8%
HAP40/Forest Green FRN
13%
K390/Blue FRN
13%
VG-10/Ivory FRN
5%
LC200N/Salt Green FRN
8%
Other (Please Specify Your Preference Below)
3%
Satin/Stonewash Clip
11%
Black Clip
8%

Total votes: 189

weeping minora

Calypso Jr Sprint Run Considerations

Post by weeping minora »

Hello all,

sal has informed via the: So, Sal, is the Caly3 model extinct ?! thread, that the maker of the Calypso Jr has found the bi-directional fish scale FRN tooling, and that they can produce a Sprint Run of the model.

I'm here to ask, what are your thoughts and preferences regarding what you'd like to see offered as a Sprint Run for this model? I have listed 10 options in the poll, including 2 clip color options. Three options can be selected; please select up to two combos (including "Other"), along with one clip color option. Frankly, this is up for discussion, and I cannot confirm if certain steels or colorways are off-the-table.

My votes went towards the ZDP/British Racing Green, HAP40/Forest Green, and Black Clip. The prospect of HAP40 paired with BRG/Forest Green FRN (a la the color of the Caly 3 HAP40/Forest Green G-10 Sprint) was a huge consideration thanks to JSumm (Jeff) and Tristan_david2001, and discussed as a viable option on the original thread of discussion (which I have linked below). I can't lie, the idea of a VG-10/Ivory FRN with Satin/Stonewash Clip does sound incredible though, too!

Please share your thoughts and preferences!

*link to afforementioned thread resulting in this poll/topic (starting with most current page 6): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95552&start=100
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
weeping minora

Re: Calypso Jr Sprint Run Considerations

Post by weeping minora »

With regards to the much opinionated and trafficked "Upping the price." thread, I am sharing sal's sentiment regarding the subject of this Sprint Run for our consideration of choice:
sal wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:24 pm
Hi Weeping Minora,

Thanx for the effort. Considering the "other thread" on upping the price, keep in mind that the more expensive steels are more expensive to buy and work.

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Would love to see a sprint run. I voted HAP40 and Forrest Green, but would be happy with many others. Something cool about a Japanese steel on it. And we need more Forrest Green. I would rank my choices below.

- HAP/40 Forrest Green - Don't see enough of either. Hopefully HAP/40 is easier to source being from Japan.
- K390 Blue - Hopefully there is enough back and forth with this steel that cost are relatively low for a Sprint. I know it is a different maker than the Delica family.
- SPY27 Cobalt Blue - I think SPY27 fits as a great Sprint Run Steel. Easy to work with for the masses and keeps everything from the design to the steel very Spyderco. It would be fitting.
- Cruwear Gray - I believe the maker has worked with this and can hopefully keep cost relatively low for a sprint.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I like the gray vg10 calypso jr the best with the titanium clip, that version is pretty much perfect for me for a frn version of the knife. Vg-10 is probably the most used spyderco steel in their market, so it kinda suits the calypso family. Also it would lower costs and possibly allow for other handle materials options along with an frn version.
Ideally I think the knife is much better with a micarta or more exotic material handle.
:bug-red-white
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It sounds like from Sal's comments on the molds, we are pretty much married to fish scaled FRN. So no savings in steel options to get another scale material unfortunately.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I voted ZDP/BRG and HAP40/FG, but honestly I'd be excited about any of them. I voted for a silver clip because I only like black clips with black blades and/or black scales. Again, I'd be happy with either.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:05 am
Would love to see a sprint run. I voted HAP40 and Forrest Green, but would be happy with many others. Something cool about a Japanese steel on it. And we need more Forrest Green. I would rank my choices below.

- HAP/40 Forrest Green - Don't see enough of either. Hopefully HAP/40 is easier to source being from Japan.
- K390 Blue - Hopefully there is enough back and forth with this steel that cost are relatively low for a Sprint. I know it is a different maker than the Delica family.
- SPY27 Cobalt Blue - I think SPY27 fits as a great Sprint Run Steel. Easy to work with for the masses and keeps everything from the design to the steel very Spyderco. It would be fitting.
- Cruwear Gray - I believe the maker has worked with this and can hopefully keep cost relatively low for a sprint.
This was my thought as well. I'm not sure we'll get to see another run of this knife, and I believe this would be the most fitting send off for the model. Depending on the reception of the outcome in whichever variation that will be, will ultimately be the deciding factor for the future of the model (which I'm assuming will be dedicated strictly to Sprint Runs, unless eventually revamped). I'm excited to get the opportunity for another variation, regardless!

JSumm wrote: It sounds like from Sal's comments on the molds, we are pretty much married to fish scaled FRN. So no savings in steel options to get another scale material unfortunately.
This was also my understanding regarding this Sprint Run. Perhaps the future will hold the possibility for additional scale materials, but it looks as though FRN is the only current option.

I can't speak for sal, nor the maker, but it sounds as if this Sprint Run is sort of a "fresh start" for the maker to get their gears up-and-running and acquainted with producing (future) Spyderco models, once again. I believe this maker will ultimately be handling the future of the Caly series.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:04 am
I can't speak for sal, nor the maker, but it sounds as if this Sprint Run is sort of a "fresh start" for the maker to get their gears up-and-running and acquainted with producing (future) Spyderco models, once again. I believe this maker will ultimately be handling the future of the Caly series.
I do not know this for sure, but I believe this is the same maker the Caly series is currently produced from. Current production is the Caly 3.5 in CF. Also, the most recent Ayoob sprint run.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I can't help but feel that the LC200N salt version is very appropriate for a knife with fish scales.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:15 am
weeping minora wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:04 am
I do not know this for sure, but I believe this is the same maker the Caly series is currently produced from. Current production is the Caly 3.5 in CF. Also, the most recent Ayoob sprint run.
We share the same belief. I hope they are doing well and able to manufacture to a greater capacity after their setbacks.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

jabba359 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:26 am
I can't help but feel that the LC200N salt version is very appropriate for a knife with fish scales.
I agree and I think the LC200N green would be great color for it.

———

-Nick :bug-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Voted for two steels :

- K390 because it's just excellent to use, last so long that knife won't lose it's belly before 10 years of edc
- SPY27 because that steel is just so fun to sharpen, and it's The Spyderco steel now, would be good with one of The Big Spyderco designs !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I went with CruWear and satin clip. I would like a step up with my DF2 CruWear. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
PStone

Post by PStone »

I voted VG-10 and ivory. I would be happy with any of the choices though. Spy27 would be my #2
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I'd really like to give this model another go but the QC would have to be a massive step up from the grey VG10 I purchased maybe 15+ years ago. The scales splayed out either side of the blade and there was an epic amount of blade play. It was literally the worst Spyderco I've ever seen. Such a shame cos the pattern was very appealing - even to a choir hater like myself!
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

I voted SPY27 and Cruwear, but would prefer a Zome handle, maybe blue+gray or blue+green. Or, is there a reason this FRN must be a solid color?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Farmer wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:18 pm
I'd really like to give this model another go but the QC would have to be a massive step up from the grey VG10 I purchased maybe 15+ years ago. The scales splayed out either side of the blade and there was an epic amount of blade play. It was literally the worst Spyderco I've ever seen. Such a shame cos the pattern was very appealing - even to a choir hater like myself!
I have to agree. I found this knife to be one of the most underwhelming Spyderco's I've ever handled (I had the Super Blue sprint) It felt so rigid, blocky and honestly cheap compared to all the other models I've handled. No jimping was very strange too. There's a reason knives become discontinued! Many other better, comparable, updated models to spruce up out there besides this dinosaur!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rick,

It''s also possible that there is enough discord to avoid the sprint.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Did not really have this knife on my radar - but now that I look into it: It is generally just not my preferred size range for general EDC, but that said: Has a lot going for it!

- One con though right away: Only tip down carry? This honestly would be a deal breaker for me, especially on such a small knife

The pros:

- Very light weight! Just like a Salt 2 ffg!
- Closed length like a Native 5 LW, but lighter and a bit more cutting edge
- Also the kind of choil /"choke up area" I prefer more and more: NOT too deep and recessed, so flat, but with a wide radius, a lot of meat beneath the index finger, choil more in the handle than in the blade - I like that better than the Native style choil.
- Pointy, but not TOO fine and also "low" tip
- Backlock always a win anyway for me
- Fishscale pattern looks interesting - no idea how it feels in hand, but I´d definitely like to try.

So, all in all: In the (for me) very small folder arena, this would have the potential to become a favorite - if it would get a tip up option.
And I guess I´ll always prefer the thinner stock of Delica / Salt / Chap in that size range.

So, yes, definitely interested!
And of course I voted for HAP40 - love that steel in my Stretch 1 and Endura. Handle color not that important to me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
4077th

Post by 4077th »

Hopefully at least a fraction of the run will be in serrated edge, no matter the steel. Oh, that and screw construction. Put a yellow label on that box and an "S" in that model number baby! :winking-tongue