Enuff 2 SALT?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifewing

Enuff 2 SALT?

Post by Knifewing »

Is there going to be an Enuff 2 SE Salt? I have an Enuff 1 SE Salt but the Enuff 2 specs have more appeal. And I know the standard Enuff 2 VG 10 has decent corrosion resistance, but I would prefer H1 or LC200N for my coastal environment.

Anyone have production intel?
Manixguy@1994

Re: Enuff 2 SALT?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

That’s a great idea ! Interesting . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Magnacut would work too.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Knifewing.

No plans at this time. We're watching the Enuff 2 to see reaction. It's expensive for a simple fixed blade, so we'll have to see where it goes.

sal
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I probably could not resist an Enuff 2 Salt, even though it would essentially duplicate several other knives I already own.

If I were designing such a knife, I would choose a high-hollow-ground blade with a 4mm spine thickness. Why? To recreate the superb feel of the OG Enuff while retaining most of the sliciness of the Enuff 2. Or I would choose thicker scales to accomplish the same thing. IMO the handle was the best feature of the OG Enuff, and the new thinner one just isn't as good. I'd also pick a clip-point or trailing-point blade.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:17 pm
Hi Knifewing.

No plans at this time. We're watching the Enuff 2 to see reaction. It's expensive for a simple fixed blade, so we'll have to see where it goes.

sal
i thought the original plan was lc200n. i remember being surprised when it dropped in vg10. was i mistaken?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ladybug,

We are proving out the design. LC is more expensive, and needs to be imported to Japan. And it won't tell us if the design is sound and well received. If the design is accepted and sales are acceptable, we can use different steels.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

We use one every day in the kitchen. Works great in food prep and as a table knife. I've only done a few field chores with which it had no problems. It's not a size for chopping, but it does work well for most cuting chores without being cumbersome.

I'd be curious to hear how others might be using it and their thoughts. I've liked designs that the market had little interest at the time. I could see it as a Salt in any of the steels we use for that series. The down side is cost.

sal
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Thanks as always, Sal, for the quick response and info. I've been looking at the Enuff 2 SE in VG10 (as opposed to K390) because of better corrosion resistance. I live close to the Pacific coast and everything metal around here corrodes so I'm a big fan of the Salt Series. I've been wanting an all-around go-bag/emergency knife for the house and car with a blade less than 4" (legality, sigh). The original Enuff Salt sheepsfoot is fine but I wanted to move up to something with a blade a little longer and thinner and, for my purposes, the Enuff 2 would be perfect...if it was offered as a Salt SE in LC, H1, or Magnacut. I may just go with VG10 for the time being and hope that market conditions permit a shift sometime soon to a Salt-worthy steel.

Oh, and I have to ask my annual question: Will a green-handled Dragonfly 2 Salt SE ever be available?

Again, thanks!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Knifewing,

Ours is serrated VG-10 and we're near salt water and it's holding up fine.

sal
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:17 pm
It's expensive for a simple fixed blade, so we'll have to see where it goes.

sal
I really like the look of the salt variant Enuff but it seems surprisingly expensive (especially compared to the folding salts that are more complex to manufacture). I wondered if you could shed some light on why that's the case please Sal? My guess is the FRN slabs and the new moulds required but perhaps there's something else at play?

I should add that I also struggle to justify spending that much on an item that is at risk of being dropped overboard..
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Farmer,

We had to make molds for the handle scales and we had to make molds for the sheath. Molds are expensive in Japan. When we have a design that will likely do a higher volume, like some the folders, we can amortize the cost of the tooling over a larger number of pieces. On a fixed blade like the Enuff, it's a gamble so the number of units that the pieces have to cover the molds is smaller, which makes them more expensive. The alternative is to make Kydex sheaths which is even more expensive per piece.

Hope that helps?

sal
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Really appreciate the additional info thanks Sal. I obviously hadn't factored in the need for an extra set of moulds for the sheath which must increase the cost by a decent amount, especially when they can't be re-used across multiple models.

I know from my own experience running a business that pricing really is a dark art, comprising one part meticulous calculation and one part guesswork. However good the spreadsheet is there's always a hunch or two lurking within it!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Farmer,

Business in itself is a rabbit hole.

When you have customers, you are busy taking care of customers. When you need customers, you are busy seeking customers. That's why they call in "busy ness".

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just as a reminder:

The (disco´ed) Waterway can still be found (for example here https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-wat ... alt-series in the US and here https://www.com2you-biwak.de/Spyderco-F ... -G-10.html in Europe).

Now of course the Waterway is a different knife, no doubt, but still an actually available Spyderco Salt fixed blade in the Enuff 2 size range.

------

(Just a few quick comparison points:
-Waterway a bit heavier (G10 scales?), but knives and sheaths combined they should be about the same (Enuff 2 sheath heavier)
- Waterway with a tad more blade and edge
- Enuff, as far as I recall from the "1" I had, for me definitely with better ergos, especially in prolongued use (though, to be clear, the Waterway is not bad there)
- Waterway of course only in plain edge
- Waterway with a for me better sheath (slimmer, lighter package), Enuff sheath definitely with more lashing options though for those who want that
- Enuff with a "lower" tip, which I´d prefer)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:07 am
Just as a reminder:

The (disco´ed) Waterway can still be found (for example here https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-wat ... alt-series in the US and here https://www.com2you-biwak.de/Spyderco-F ... -G-10.html in Europe).

Now of course the Waterway is a different knife, no doubt, but still an actually available Spyderco Salt fixed blade in the Enuff 2 size range.

------

(Just a few quick comparison points:
-Waterway a bit heavier (G10 scales?), but knives and sheaths combined they should be about the same (Enuff 2 sheath heavier)
- Waterway with a tad more blade and edge
- Enuff, as far as I recall from the "1" I had, for me definitely with better ergos, especially in prolongued use (though, to be clear, the Waterway is not bad there)
- Waterway of course only in plain edge
- Waterway with a for me better sheath (slimmer, lighter package), Enuff sheath definitely with more lashing options though for those who want that
- Enuff with a "lower" tip, which I´d prefer)

Very good points, Wartstein. That Waterway is a great option!

I followed that DLT link you provided, Wartstein. I noticed something funny about it right away. DLT has the Enuff 2 blade thickness as being 0.132" (3mm). 0.132" is of course NOT 3 mm :smiling-cheeks
The 3 mm part of that description is right.

I have to stand with Knifewing on this, with his/my steel choice for a Salt Series Enuff 2, if that were to ever happen. That is the only Salt choice for me on this model, to go along with my current K390 version. As Sal says though, some steel choices have to be sent over there, which adds to the cost. Steels like VG-10 and K390, are already over there. Though K390 has to take a train ride across Asia, and then ferried across the East China Sea :smiling-cheeks

In a second steel choice, after MagnaCut, though not a Salt steel. Would have to be S90V.

Sal says they are watching Sales and feedback closely, to help in determining what move they make with this Enuff 2 next. A quick check at Spyderco.com, shows the K390 version to be out of stock. That's possibly a good sign as to Sales numbers, though I don't know how many were produced to begin with. :bug-red-white