Smaller Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Rburr34

Smaller Mule

Post by Rburr34 »

Has it ever been considered to make a bit smaller Mule? I love the Mules and try to get one when one comes out and finances allow. I might be the only one but I find it's just a bit too large for skinning and cleaning a whitetail. I currently use a delica 4 but there are certain spots where a little larger fixed blade would work better. I currently use the Mules mainly for processing meat and carrying around my property. Just curious what others think. I know I would definitely buy a smaller one or both. Keep up the good work. Thanks.
sal

Re: Smaller Mule

Post by sal »

Hi Rburr,

Welcome to our forum.

We always listen to our customers and most times try to follow up with their requests. TBH (To Be Honest), The Mule Team project is a challenging program to maintain. It takes time, labor and investment to make it happen. We make it consumer direct to keep the cost down for customers, which in itself is not a very large customer base, and the profit is marginal at best. That's why no other knife companies are doing it.

Its value to Spyderco is in; opportunity to try many blade materials, feedback on the blade material, good relations with our customers and work for the foundries and makers.

Its value to our customers is in; opportunity to try new blade materials, a platform with which to communicate with others about a niche interest globally and the opportunity to be on the forefront of future possible blade materials.

As a business activity, it is challenging at best. We believe we've created a size and shape that will serve most in the best way we can. I think that a smaller, and less expensive project would be very difficult to achieve, especially along side the current platform.

While we can see the desire for such a project, interest and volume required would be be challenging to do, especially at a lower price. We've had a few discussions about using a UK pen knife platform Slipit to be used as a Mule Team platform, but the dynamics of such a project being successful always come into question.

I think the best path for that interest would be best achieved by the Mule Team afi's offering that service to each other. A Mule Team member could grind down various versions to a smaller size/shape and sell that service. One of our skilled members has already made Mule Team pieces into a folder. Perhaps that could be a service?

Hope that helps answer your question.

sal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind"
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Would an additional finger choil give you the control you needed?

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:06 am
Would an additional finger choil give you the control you needed?

Tommy likey
Ric

Post by Ric »

Thanks for the insights, Sal.
It's much appreciated.

Personally, I like the Mule.
Making it smaller yourself is a good option and done quite easy.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Try getting the mule 2 SPY27 and grinding it down. It’s cheaper than the other mules, made of a high quality steel and honestly quite easy to modify. I finished modifying one a while ago and now I just need to put scales on it. That’s been delayed because I’m currently in the process of moving.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix LW - CPM 4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294