Upping the price.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Upping the price.

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:23 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:29 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:14 pm
I carried a Warnie Manbug for quite a while. Very useful size. Now, I'm carrying a serrated leaf Manbug. Wouldn't be without it.

sal

Sal, may I ask:

Any specific reasons why you switched from wharnie to leaf shape with the serrated one? (As far as I know the wharnie Manbug can be had with teeth too, actually I am considering getting that exact version myself).

I personally have come to the conclusion that for a secondary, small, watch pocket knife (in my case a Manbug would never be carried as my main folder, but in addition to a large folder with some belly) the wharnie shape would be more useful to me (for the lower tip, more convenient piercing of packages and the like and "full power" over the whole cut in that short edge as Mike Janich descrines so well in his wharncliff - vid),

Hi Warstein,

I find the ""Leaf" to be a bit more effective for general use. I use the belly on my serrated Leaf Manbug to start cuts when opening packaging. Less depth to the cut than using the point of a Warnie.

sal

Hi Sal, thanks!

This actually makes perfect sense (and I feel almost a bit embarrased as one who calls himself an "SE guy" that I did not think of it myself ;) )

The chisel grind "points" of the serrations in the rather thin Manbug blade must be more than "pointy" enough to puncture many surfaces perfectly well.
And as you point out: In a way even better suited than the tip, since they can´t go that deep (which is more often an advantage than not imo).

Makes me really reconsider my plans on getting a wharnie Manbug SE towards a leaf Manbug SE.

Happy Easter,

Gernot
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

I don't blame Spyderco. The dollar is simply losing its purchasing power. I think it will get even worse.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/purcha ... over-time/
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:23 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:29 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:14 pm
I carried a Warnie Manbug for quite a while. Very useful size. Now, I'm carrying a serrated leaf Manbug. Wouldn't be without it.

sal

Sal, may I ask:

Any specific reasons why you switched from wharnie to leaf shape with the serrated one? (As far as I know the wharnie Manbug can be had with teeth too, actually I am considering getting that exact version myself).

I personally have come to the conclusion that for a secondary, small, watch pocket knife (in my case a Manbug would never be carried as my main folder, but in addition to a large folder with some belly) the wharnie shape would be more useful to me (for the lower tip, more convenient piercing of packages and the like and "full power" over the whole cut in that short edge as Mike Janich descrines so well in his wharncliff - vid),

Hi Warstein,

I find the ""Leaf" to be a bit more effective for general use. I use the belly on my serrated Leaf Manbug to start cuts when opening packaging. Less depth to the cut than using the point of a Warnie.

sal

Both the ManBug Leaf and Wharnie with SpyderEdge blade have the quarter inch of straight edge at the tip so both are better at opening packages than the Sheepsfoot SpyderEdge. As far as one or the other going deep into the package is not a concern if you change the angle of penetration. That's why Salt2 LC200N Wharncliffe SpyderEdge is so good at opening all types of packages including hard plastic.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I just ordered a ManBug VG-10 SpyderEdge Leaf Blade (MBKLFS) and a ManBug VG-10 SpyderEdge Wharncliffe Blade (MBKWS).

I’ll subjectively test them both by opening various packages and alternate with one week each over a month.

I have quite a few ManBug and Ladybug folders over the years although I gave up on the Ladybug in favor of the ManBug quite a while back.

I’ve had severe rust issues with ZDP-189 and even slightly with VG-10 (salt from the sea and sweat) which is why I’ve been carrying (on a keychain) the ManBug Salt H1 Sheepsfoot SpyderEdge for quite a while. It’s not ideal for cutting through packages but it’s also like a mini rescue folder.

Last edited by RamZar on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:42 pm
Sal has had enough. I am sure that I am not alone in thinking this thread has run it's course.
Please close the thread.
I don't know about closing the thread, but it has surely run its course. I am sure Sal has had more than enough.

I think it is time for members of good will to exercise discipline and just refuse to post; eventually this thread will naturally drop out of sight. This will be my last post on this particular thread.
Flash

Post by Flash »

The irony is you’ve resurrected a thread that’s been dead for three weeks just to say that. :winking-tongue
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Flash wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:52 am
The irony is you’ve resurrected a thread that’s been dead for three weeks just to say that. :winking-tongue
This is the thread that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Somebody started replying to it, not knowing what it was, and we just continued to posting to it forever just because...