New lefty EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
michael_aos

New lefty EDC

Post by michael_aos »

I've pretty much always carried a knife. Eventually landed on the Manix 2 Lightweight S110V since 2015.

I still think it's pretty much PERFECT, but decided to switch things up a little.

Purchased the Native 5 Fluted Carbon Fiber in S90V. I really like it overall, but just the nature of a lockback it doesn't open / close as easily as I've become accustomed to. I might call it my "dress" knife or something.

Purchased the Manix 2 Lightweight FRCP Gray Maxamet and Para Military 2 Left Hand G-10 Black in S45VN.

Now I can't decide which I like better.

The left-hand version of the Compression lock is SWEEEEEET!

I feel like I should I have checked this out a long time ago.
--
kennethsime

Re: New lefty EDC

Post by kennethsime »

I have those three knives also, and the PM2 gets the most pocket time. The native is too small, and the Manix has very specific ergonomics. The PM2 just always works well for anything I need to get done, is very comfortable in hand, and is about the right size for an edc.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JackRussell

Post by JackRussell »

Check out a left-handed Military -- the slick lefty liner lock is one the best sounding knives when reverse flicked. Music to my ears.
michael_aos

Post by michael_aos »

I really appreciate the existence of the left-hand PM2. I like it a lot, and I purchased it in an effort to encourage development of left-handed / ambi offerings.
While not quite as left-hand friendly, I recently purchased a Canis.

I've got to say, the Canis is REALLY nice.

In my perfect world, there would be a left-hand version.

I did stick a black pocket-clip from a K390 Delica on it, which seems to work really well.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

michael_aos wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:20 am
I really appreciate the existence of the left-hand PM2. I like it a lot, and I purchased it in an effort to encourage development of left-handed / ambi offerings.
While not quite as left-hand friendly, I recently purchased a Canis.

I've got to say, the Canis is REALLY nice.

In my perfect world, there would be a left-hand version.

I did stick a black pocket-clip from a K390 Delica on it, which seems to work really well.
I have the lefty PM2 and the very first lefty Military run . I highly recommend the Military , if you want to encourage more left hand models . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
michael_aos

Post by michael_aos »

The Canis arrived Wednesday evening 2/21. Messed around with it a little. Moved the clip to the left-side and then replaced the original clip with a black one from a Delica 4 FRN K390 Wharncliffe.
Carried the Canis all day Thursday. Tried to use it as much as possible. New knife, so of course I cut myself. Not badly.
Messing around today (Friday) comparing the Para Military 2 left hand, Manix 2 Lightweight, and Canis for left-hand EDC and managed to cut myself with the Canis again (not badly).
I really like scales on the Canis, and it feels great in the hand and it's definitely a cutter, but I'm not sure it's as left-hand friendly as the Manix 2 Lightweight & especially the dedicated left hand Para Military 2. The Canis cutting edge (3.43") also seems especially large compared to the Manix 2 (2.88") and PM2 (3.05") . The Canis might be moving to the back of the knife drawer.

Speaking of the back of the knife drawer. In all this shuffling I rediscovered my old regular / right-hand PM2 S30V my wife gave me as an anniversary present in 2011. Carried the PM2 pretty much exclusively from 2011 until 2015 when I discovered the Manix 2 Lightweight.