The MicroJimbo reviewed: The Yojimbo 2 as a "little big knife"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

The MicroJimbo reviewed: The Yojimbo 2 as a "little big knife"

Post by zuludelta »

When word first started going around the forums a couple of years ago that a smaller version of the Yojimbo 2 was in the works, my interest was very much piqued. The Michael Janich-designed Yojimbo 2 is my primary work knife, and has been for several years: While Spyderco’s so-called “tactical Wharncliffe” was originally intended to be a self-defence tool, the same features that make it an excellent combatives implement also make it a superlative utility cutter. I’ve written before and in detail about the Yojimbo 2’s effectiveness as a warehouse knife in a review linked here—I actually recommend reading that review before continuing further with this post, as most of my thoughts about the MicroJimbo are how it compares to its bigger brother. Go ahead, this post will still be here when you get back.

All done? Welcome back.

It would be rather reductive to describe the MicroJimbo as nothing more than a shrunken version of the Yojimbo 2. While it has a shorter blade length (2.45” vs 3.20”), a shorter overall length (6.22” vs. 7.69”), and a lighter weight (3.0 oz. vs 4.1 oz.), the MicroJimbo’s blade opening arc and its “cockpit”—the area defined by the spatial relationship of the opening hole and pivot—are virtually unchanged from the full-sized model. What this means for the experienced Yojimbo 2 user is that there isn’t a lot of recalibration of fine motor skills necessary with regards to blade deployment, which is an especially important detail when considering the Yojimbo family of knives’ self-defence remit.
IMG_20240212_133252_358.jpg
Of course, It isn’t possible to scale down the Yojimbo 2 design to the degree seen in the MicroJimbo without affecting some of its functional ergonomics. It’s a given that the MicroJimbo has less cutting edge than the full-sized Yojimbo 2 (2.23” vs. 3.00”). Also, as I’ve written in my review of the Yojimbo 2, one of my favourite features of the knife is the protruding butt-end of the handle, which is very useful for light hammering and breaking perforations on boxes. The smaller and lighter MicroJimbo just isn’t as effective at those tasks. It should be noted that I don’t really take these two points against the MicroJimbo, as these compromises are inevitable when reformatting the Yojimbo 2 design to fit a smaller physical configuration.

The MicroJimbo isn’t just shorter than the Yojimbo 2, it also isn’t as wide (or isn’t “as tall”, if you like) in the handle. I do have enough handle to securely hold and bear down on the MicroJimbo behind the forward finger guard in use, but there is no denying that it is less hand-filling than the Yojimbo 2 (note that I am sized as a Medium in Mechanix work gloves). While a non-issue for my use case, this can be a potential cause of discomfort or even cramping during extended periods of cutting, as it often is with smaller-handled knives. Over the past three weeks of use, I also occasionally found myself unwittingly choking up on the MicroJimbo while cutting, placing my index finger over the junction of the ricasso and forward finger guard, since the knife is roughly the same width there as the Yojimbo 2 is behind its forward finger guard. It’s not a big deal all things considered and it is something that will most certainly go away as I become more familiar with the ergonomic subtleties of the smaller model, but it is also an indication that a transition to the MicroJimbo from the Yojimbo 2 isn’t 100% seamless.
IMG_20240212_133339_832.jpg
Another major difference between the MicroJimbo and the Yojimbo 2 concerns the blade geometry. Not only is the MicroJimbo’s CPM S30V blade less wide (or “less tall”) than the one on the Yojimbo 2—in a design decision intended to assuage some user concerns about the durability of the distinctive Yojimbo 2 blade tip—the MicroJimbo also trades the Yojimbo 2’s high hollow grind for a full flat grind. So despite having the same 0.145” blade stock thickness as the Yojimbo 2, the MicroJimbo’s blade thickens up behind the edge a bit more quickly as one goes up towards the spine. The shorter blade also means that the MicroJimbo has a slightly more obtuse distal taper towards its tip. All of this presumably makes the MicroJimbo less of an outstanding slicer compared to the Yojimbo 2—particularly for incisions that require the full length and breadth of the blade to go through dense synthetic materials (such as thick slabs of closed-cell packaging foam)—but I honestly didn’t notice much of a performance difference between the two while doing regular warehouse work cutting tasks, where I primarily employ the tip of the blade and the the first inch of the cutting edge behind the tip.

The one design decision that I do take mild issue with is the MicroJimbo’s deep-carry pocket clip. In hand, I do like the use of the short wire clip on the MicroJimbo instead of the regular-sized hourglass clip equipped on the Yojimbo 2, as it feels more comfortable when paired with the smaller handle. But I much prefer having a bit of handle poking out of the pocket when it comes to my work knives as it makes it easier to draw the knife for use. Working in a very fast-paced warehouse environment, there were a couple of times when I had to fiddle around a bit more than I liked to securely pull the MicroJimbo out of my pocket. This is a very minor complaint, though, and I am certain that I’ll be able to draw the MicroJimbo just as fast as I do the Yojimbo 2 with time and practice. Already, I am much quicker on the draw with the knife now than I was three weeks ago.

Because of these notable differences between the MicroJimbo and Yojimbo 2, users who simply want a version of the latter that is compliant with 2.5” blade length limits might find the ChicagoJimbo—a “chopped” Yojimbo 2 customized by Janich that is sold through the 5x5 Combat Solutions website—a more preferable option to the MicroJimbo as it maintains the Yojimbo 2’s full-sized handle, hollow ground blade geometry, and “non-deep carry” pocket clip.

I do think that the MicroJimbo fills a functional sub-niche apart from the one already filled by the ChicagoJimbo, however. As mentioned earlier, the MicroJimbo’s smaller handle makes the excellent Yojimbo 2 design accessible to those with petite hands. And while I think the concerns some users raise about the durability of the Yojimbo 2’s blade tip are somewhat overblown, the MicroJimbo’s full-flat ground blade should satisfy those who are much harder on (or less careful with) their tools. An aside: I have never broken the tip off a Yojimbo 2 in the several years that I’ve used one as a work knife, even as I’ve broken the tips of two Para Military 2s—one in S30V, another in S45VN, and both with a full-flat grind—in the same timeframe. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but there it is.

Even those such as myself who do not have to contend with 2.5” blade length restrictions, have no issues with the Yojimbo 2’s handle size, and are unbothered by its hollow-ground blade, can find a lot of practical value in the MicroJimbo’s more compact footprint and lighter weight. I carry a lot of stuff in my pants pockets and on my belt loops when I am at work. Besides the usual wallet and smartphone, I also carry car keys, forklift keys, a Leatherman Charge Plus multitool, a pocket organizer with various small tools and accessories, hearing protection, a ballpoint pen, a felt marker, folded-up emails and truck manifest printouts that inevitably accumulate over the course of a shift, work gloves on a carabiner, a Motorola two-way radio on a belt clip, and a belt-mounted trauma kit (I am the senior industrial/occupational first aid responder at my workplace). It all adds up in weight and bulk, so a significantly smaller and lighter version of the Yojimbo 2 that retains most of its functional ergonomics is something that definitely has a place in my work knife rotation.

I also regularly carry the Yojimbo 2 as my folding knife outside of work, but there are certain situations where I do need to carry something lighter and less bulky in the pocket. I spend a lot of my free time trail running, and the Yojimbo 2 isn’t particularly suited to being clipped to the types of pockets found in running shorts or running tights—in these instances, I usually carry a Delica 4 or Native 5 Lightweight, or even something smaller like a Dragonfly 2 or a Ladybug 3. The MicroJimbo, despite weighing a fraction of an ounce more than a Delica 4 or Native 5 Lightweight, is still light enough that it doesn’t flop around while clipped to my running shorts pocket, and it is small enough that it actually fits in the back pockets of my running tights.
IMG_20240212_133442_453.jpg
In addition, I believe that the additional discretion afforded by the MicroJimbo is very much a worthwhile feature in certain professional and social contexts. As a reasonable knife enthusiast, I think it is important to be considerate of persons who—due to their beliefs, cultural upbringing, or a history of trauma—are legitimately and genuinely uncomfortable around people who carry items they deem as weapons. I have close friends who fall into this group, and I appreciate that some of them have to overcome mental and emotional barriers when they spend time socializing with someone they know is carrying a knife. The very least I can do to reciprocate their tolerance and respect for my personal interests is to carry a knife when I am around them that, by virtue of its smaller size, can be seen by the uninitiated as falling into the category of “tool” rather than “weapon”. The MicroJimbo lets me do this without compromising on the Yojimbo 2 design’s essential functions or the manual dexterity I have developed with the Yojimbo platform over the years.
MicroJimbo alongside the Lil' Native & Dragonfly 2
MicroJimbo alongside the Lil' Native & Dragonfly 2
I like diversity in design in knives but when it comes to work tools, I value familiarity just as much, if not more, as it facilitates efficiency and safety. As someone who uses a knife not only in my job but also recreationally, I am quite invested in the Yojimbo platform—besides “dailying” a Yojimbo 2 for years and having put in a not-insignificant amount of time doing FMA drills with the Yojimbo 2 trainer, I also carry a Yojumbo on the somewhat rare occasions I need a larger folder, and the Ronin 2 (the fixed-blade version of the Yojimbo 2) is my preferred small/mid-sized belt knife when I go camping. It only makes sense that if I were to use a small folder for work, it would be something that takes inspiration from the Yojimbo 2. After three weeks of using the MicroJimbo as my primary warehouse work knife, I can say with full confidence that it retains many of the Yojimbo 2’s most salient functional and ergonomic qualities and is a worthy addition to Spyderco’s catalogue of “little big knives” (i.e., compact folders that handle like much bigger knives) that includes models such as the industrial design masterpiece that is the Dragonfly 2 and the miniature workhorse that is the Lil’ Native. For the user who already likes the Yojimbo 2 but wants a version that carries smaller and lighter in the pocket, the MicroJimbo definitely fits the bill. For users with smaller hands who find the Yojimbo 2 too large to grip comfortably for extended periods, the MicroJimbo offers a chance to experience the design in a more compact form factor. And for users who want a version of the Yojimbo 2 that can be used in jurisdictions that restrict the carry of folding knives to those with blades less than 2.5” long, the MicroJimbo offers a legally-compliant blade and a more affordable alternative to the ChicagoJimbo. Ultimately, I think it is the adherence to the Yojimbo design language that is the MicroJimbo’s strongest selling point and perhaps somewhat ironically, it is probably what is most likely to limit its appeal (i.e., if you don’t like the Yojimbo 2 for reasons other than it being too large for your hands, you probably won’t like the MicroJimbo, either).
The Yojimbo 2 family of knives
The Yojimbo 2 family of knives
[EDITED 02/12/24 for formatting]
Last edited by zuludelta on Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Janich

Re: The MicroJimbo reviewed: The Yojimbo 2 as a "little big knife"

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear zuludelta:

Thank you very much for the thorough and thoughtful review. I truly appreciate it and your insightful feedback.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Though I am not really interested in the MicroJimbo (certainly a great knife, just not in the size category I prefer!) this was an absolutely interesting read!

I very much like that kind of thoughts of fellow knife enthusiasts who really look into and use a model before uttering an opinion and doing a review.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

Thanks so much for sharing your review, zuludelta. A well-written and thoughtful knife review is always a pleasure! I enjoyed your Yojimbo review as well.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Great review! Never read your Yojimbo review, and found that extremely interesting as well.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TomH

Post by TomH »

Thanks for the excellent review.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I really enjoyed this excellent, and very well thought out review.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great review ! I also liked the comparison shot since I carry in weak side pocket a Dragonfly Salt . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
benben

Post by benben »

Great read, thank you. And the fact that you spelled "piqued" correctly is just icing on the cake! ;)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:31 pm
Thank you very much for the thorough and thoughtful review. I truly appreciate it and your insightful feedback.
You're welcome, and thank you for sharing your work with us. A good tool, a tool that does what it's supposed to do reliably & safely can sometimes be the difference between a bad day at work & a smooth shift, and the Yojimbo 2 & its variants (and Spydercos in general) have consistently delivered for me in this regard.
Wartstein wrote: I very much like that kind of thoughts of fellow knife enthusiasts who really look into and use a model before uttering an opinion and doing a review.
Road Tripper wrote: Thanks so much for sharing your review, zuludelta. A well-written and thoughtful knife review is always a pleasure! I enjoyed your Yojimbo review as well.
JSumm wrote: Great review! Never read your Yojimbo review, and found that extremely interesting as well.
TomH wrote:Thanks for the excellent review.
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote: I really enjoyed this excellent, and very well thought out review.
Thank you all for the positive responses to the review.
Manixguy@1994 wrote: Great review ! I also liked the comparison shot since I carry in weak side pocket a Dragonfly Salt . MG2
Thanks!

One thing the picture can't show is the difference in weight between the MicroJimbo & the DF2. Similar to the Lil' Native (Compression Lock version), the MicroJimbo is around twice the weight of the DF2, so depending on what other items you carry in your weakside pocket, the DF2 might still be a more practical secondary/backup folder.

To me, the MicroJimbo is beefy & robust enough to be a primary folder on most days, and might be just a little too chunky to be a secondary/backup folder.
benben wrote: Great read, thank you. And the fact that you spelled "piqued" correctly is just icing on the cake! ;)
Ha ha, all that edjumication didn't go to waste
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

benben wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:39 am
Great read, thank you. And the fact that you spelled "piqued" correctly is just icing on the cake! ;)
dude. i almost thanked him for that as well. :rofl
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

10/10 review
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Wow. This is amazing.

Can we get a quick TL:DR pros and cons between the MicroJimbo and ChicagoJimbo??
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Your reviews are fantastic, and appreciated. The Lil Temp LW one was particularly influential 😉. I think this one may be as well, as I now feel I should have a full size Yojimbo.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks for another outstanding review, zuludelta.

Jim
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Unbrokenchain33 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:40 pm
Wow. This is amazing.

Can we get a quick TL:DR pros and cons between the MicroJimbo and ChicagoJimbo??
Thanks!

In my estimation, the primary factors that will determine whether one should pick a MicroJimbo or a ChicagoJimbo is handle size and contouring. The MicroJimbo has a smaller handle, I can just about get a four-finger grip on it behind the finger guard (I wear medium-sized gloves) but it's probably a 3-and-a-half finger knife for most people who wear large-sized gloves. Regardless of your hand size, if you're able to effectively grip and use a Dragonfly 2 or Lil' Native, you should be able to do the same with the MicroJimbo. The ChicagoJimbo on the other hand has the standard, full-length Yojimbo 2 handle, which offers more than enough real estate for most people's hands.

I will say, though, that the MicroJimbo has a more neutral handle. From what I've gathered from online commentary over the years, one of the more polarizing aspects of the Yojimbo 2 is the firmly defined scalloping on the handle: some people just don't find them comfortable. The MicroJimbo has more gradual grooves instead of scallops.

Other points to consider:
  • MicroJimbo is more affordable than the ChicagoJimbo (~US$183.75 vs. US$200).
  • MicroJimbo is more readily available since it is a regular production model that should be available for order & purchase through all authorized Spyderco retailers. ChicagoJimbo is a low-volume production modded Yojimbo 2 sold exclusively through 5x5 Combat Solutions.
  • MicroJimbo will eventually be available in a black-coated DLC variant later this year, ChicagoJimbo is only available in satin finish.
  • There is a closer correspondence between the ChicagoJimbo & the Yojimbo 2 Trainer since they share the same handle & pocket clip.
  • MicroJimbo is fully flat ground, ChicagoJimbo features a hollow grind (neither is a definitive pro or con IMO, but a notable difference all the same that may have some bearing on your specific use case)
  • MicroJimbo is more compact overall & lighter.
  • MicroJimbo has a deep-carry wire clip.
James Y wrote: Thanks for another outstanding review, zuludelta.
twinboysdad wrote:10/10 review
Thank you
cabfrank wrote: Your reviews are fantastic, and appreciated. The Lil Temp LW one was particularly influential 😉. I think this one may be as well, as I now feel I should have a full size Yojimbo.
Thanks! I'm glad that the LT3LW review helped, I occasionally worry that my experiences, work cutting tasks, & hand size may not be especially representative of that of the greater forum population, and that my reviews might steer folks in the wrong direction.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

This thread is super helpful zuludelta. I am definitely a fan of this family of knives owning several Yo2s and a Yojumbo. But, I don't think I am going to pick up the micro because I can legally and comfortably use and carry the Yo2 (it's the most ergonomic folder I own for prolonged hard use). But, if and when I can get the microjimbo in hand I'll see how it feels and maybe get one if the budget allows, just to sort of continue my Janich folder collection.

Another use cases for this knife, which Mike mentioned in another thread, is it can work well for women who have smaller hands and are wearing clothes with small pockets wanting a blade for EDC and self defence.

As always-- if Spyderco really wants to do the Microjimbo justice, there should be a trainer available. The designer of the knife would probably say you can't really trust it to defend yourself if you aren't training with a nearly identical trainer. Of course, Spyderco has not been selling Yo2 trainers for years and hasn't announced a Yojumbo trainer. I don't understand why Spyderco would have Janich design these knives, knowing who he is and his training philosophy, and then don't make trainers.
Tootallwill

Post by Tootallwill »

Hello
Thank you for the detailed review. I received my MJ a few days ago here in South Africa. My first Spyderco. I am very pleased with it! I considered many different models over the past few months but eventually decided that it needed to be small with a compression lock. I looked at the Watu and Lill Native but did not like the idea of the blade interfering with my finger when it returns. I then decided it also need to be a Wharncliffe. The MJ is spot on for me!! I just have a question for the afficionados. Why do you think it is not constructed with all Torx? Thanks
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Tootallwill wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:06 am
The MJ is spot on for me!! I just have a question for the afficionados. Why do you think it is not constructed with all Torx? Thanks
The MicroJimbo is held together with all Torx screws. T10 for the pivot screws, and T8 for the body & clip screws.

Now, if you're asking about the use of a shouldered stop pin in the MicroJimbo instead of the screw-held stop pin of the Yojimbo 2... I wouldn't be able to give you a definitive answer since I'm not a designer or engineer. For what it's worth, it is also the case that the Para 3 has a shouldered stop pin, which is a departure from the screw-in stop pin of the larger Para Military 2.

It's probably not strictly a case of bigger compression lock knives use screw-held stop pins and smaller compression lock knives use shouldered stop pins, though, since there are small compression lock knives such as the Lil' Native that use screw-held stop pins, and there are big knives like the Shaman that use shouldered stop pins.