Different knife different day, or one knife for life?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JayHenMac

Different knife different day, or one knife for life?

Post by JayHenMac »

I can't imagine what it must be like for some of you folks who have knife collections with numbers in the hundreds. I have a handful of Spydercos, SAKs, GECs, Leatherman (What's the plural, Leathermen? Leathermans?), and some other traditional slip joint makers. Every day I throw a multitool in my bag, a traditional slip joint in a little sheath in my pocket, and I grab a modern folder. You'd think, grab and go! But NOOOOO. I grab one, then I put it back and grab another with better action, then I swap that out with one that carries better in the pocket, then I think "What am I doing today? I'll grab something that matches the task." And so on. There are a couple combos that have seen more pocket time than others, but it's still a struggle.

I tried to explain this to my wife, but she simply didn't understand. I didn't know who else I could talk to. It's a struggle and I feel like I am all alone in the world. I know I am not! I know that there are tens of us out there who are paralyzed by the crippling indecision of the daily carry choice. How do you choose? How do you manage?
ladybug93

Re: Different knife different day, or one knife for life?

Post by ladybug93 »

it's hard to beat a pe manix and a se pac salt. i keep trying though. i like every spyderco i own and try to carry almost all of them at least occasionally. some i only bought for art and i don't really carry them. some i bought because i needed small knives at the time and i don't carry those either. other than that, they all get some carry and use.

you are definitely not alone around here. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I tend to switch between a few different knives occasionally. Sometimes picking that day’s carry is hard.
Last edited by DavidNM on Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

JayHenMac,

You're not alone! Think of the Forum as a multi-step help program, (but no one ever reaches their goals, whatever they may be, and no one graduates :winking-tongue.) We're are here for you! Anyway, enough of the pep talk.

I'll do the same as you, then I'll even switch later in the day as required.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think you're overthinking it a bit. If the knife is sharp, that's all you really need. Unless going somewhere or cutting something where you're worried about corrosion. Overall, their knives and all do the same thing...cut stuff!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It’s kind of a middle ground for me.
One for life isn’t enough to provide the versatility I prefer when switching between different types of use, but I’m well past the point where I switch knives or any part of my carry just because it brings me joy. It’s all about the use case, and I usually don’t have to waste time or energy thinking about it as it ties in pretty automatically with my “uniform”. My regular EDC lives in my regular clothes, hard work knifes lives in my work pants and work kit, my outdoor knife lives in my outdoor pants and so on.

Rotating through my knives is something I gradually lost interest in as I’ve honed in my EDC and figured out what works for me.

I’ll probably continue to keep more knives than I strictly need, and I’ll even buy new ones when I see something promising, so it’s not like I lost all curiosity and playfulness, but it has certainly taken a backseat to predictability, simplicity and practicality.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JayHenMac wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:07 am
I can't imagine what it must be like for some of you folks who have knife collections with numbers in the hundreds. How do you choose? How do you manage?
Try in the thousands. How do I manage? Cargo pants. I carry more knives than most hardware stores every day.
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

Pokey wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:07 pm
JayHenMac,

You're not alone! Think of the Forum as a multi-step help program, (but no one ever reaches their goals, whatever they may be, and no one graduates :winking-tongue.) We're are here for you! Anyway, enough of the pep talk.

I'll do the same as you, then I'll even switch later in the day as required.
Are how many steps are in this program? I've seen 5 step programs and 12 step programs and others. I don't even know where the steps here lead! Is this place a support group or an enabling group? Possibly a study group?

The feelings are real.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Enabling group for certain. There are exactly 7 million steps in the program, which leads to Nirvana, Valhalla or Olympus depending on your path at 6 million.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I have a Manbug that stays in my EDC pouch for months at a time, then another "knife of the day."

My shirts are in a FIFO stack, which simplifies what I will wear for the day. I try to do the same for my knives so that everything gets used a few times each year.
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

Man, I'm feeling seen. Even with my relatively modest collection of a few dozen knives, the decision fatigue often leads to a few knives going with for the day... I typically keep 3-5 different steel/designs in the scary sharp state on the shelf so I can pick and choose based on the cutting (or abuse) I expect. Explaining it to the wife? I don't think she would even want to listen to it :zany
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JayHenMac,

EDC: For daily carry, i'm usually changing every day. Right now , I have 9 prototypes that I try to use at least one, sometimes two, each day as I'm refining and keeping notes. I also have 9 first articles that are being released and I need to make sure that there are no glitches that we didn't catch earlier.

USE: I think the "using" of a knife is different for different folks. Generally, when in the act of using a knife, especially a sharp knife, requires focused attention as it can be a dangerous activity if you are not paying attention. When I'm using a knife, I pay attention to the performance of "the cut", the ergonomics and comfort of the handle, safety, and how repeated use affects edge retention. I also pay attention to the same things when sharpening.

As far as the forum goes, there are many , all over the world, that have an interest in knives and edges, to some degree, that have no persons in their world with whom they can have a serious conversation about knives.

Internet forums have provided such a platform where those of us can actually find others with similar interests and even they can be divided into categories (collecting, martial blade craft, sharpening, etc.).

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:09 pm
Hi JayHenMac,

EDC: For daily carry, i'm usually changing every day. Right now , I have 9 prototypes that I try to use at least one, sometimes two, each day as I'm refining and keeping notes. I also have 9 first articles that are being released and I need to make sure that there are no glitches that we didn't catch earlier.

USE: I think the "using" of a knife is different for different folks. Generally, when in the act of using a knife, especially a sharp knife, requires focused attention as it can be a dangerous activity if you are not paying attention. When I'm using a knife, I pay attention to the performance of "the cut", the ergonomics and comfort of the handle, safety, and how repeated use affects edge retention. I also pay attention to the same things when sharpening.

As far as the forum goes, there are many , all over the world, that have an interest in knives and edges, to some degree, that have no persons in their world with whom they can have a serious conversation about knives.

Internet forums have provided such a platform where those of us can actually find others with similar interests and even they can be divided into categories (collecting, martial blade craft, sharpening, etc.).

sal
it's got to be tough to have to try new knives all the time. that's not sarcasm. i struggle to rotate through knives i really like because i don't always want to carry something different than i have been. it's fun getting acquainted with new designs, but i imagine it takes quite a bit of discipline to switch out for r&d purposes constantly.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Will I be working in the yard?
Working in the garage?
Doing everyday stuff?
Going out to dinner?
Having sushi?
There is a different knife that is best suited for each task.
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

sal wrote:
All too true. I joined this forum exactly because of this fact, and I'm quite thankful for this hearth to relate to similar-interested folks and learn about new ideas and perspectives related to the topic.
Spyderfreek

Post by Spyderfreek »

I just stare into the knife drawer until I'm about to be late for work.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Usually I'll carry one for week or two and switch to something else. I have some favorites that are in heavy rotation. The cool thing about having a bunch of knives is having the right size, blade shape, edge type, etc. for what ever use case comes up. I was carrying a Maxamet pm2 until it started raining, then I switched to the Siren.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

The difference between needing and wanting 😉 I would be fine with a SAK for most days as I have an office job. I don't need to carry a Milie most of the time but I want to. Sometimes I need a knife that is corrosion resistant and sometimes I need a fixed blade when I go camping but 80% for me is the enjoyment of switching up and experiencing different knives.

Even eating a steak dinner every night get's boring after time.....switch it up!
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

barnaclesonaboat wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:36 pm
sal wrote:
All too true. I joined this forum exactly because of this fact, and I'm quite thankful for this hearth to relate to similar-interested folks and learn about new ideas and perspectives related to the topic.
This is true for me too, although I was already active on a forum or two with no shortage of knife enthusiasts, this forum felt different in that a more significant percentage seem to actually use their knives whereas elsewhere it was much more about pocket jewelry, color matching knife of the day and looking good in pictures.
Fast forward to today, and this is now the only dedicated knife/edc forum/internet service/group/whatever that I still use. I had totally stopped visiting the other forums and even quit Facebook, Instagram etc. by the end 2023
benben

Post by benben »

I’ve owned and collected Spyderco’s for long enough that I know exactly what I like, and what works for me. I’m carrying probably five or six dedicated knives these days, and I swear I’ve told myself I’m gonna have a fire sale someday soon and get my collection down to around five knives, or definitely less than ten. That day just hasn’t come yet.