new coating coming!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

new coating coming!

Post by ladybug93 »

i know a lot of people around here love a satin blade. honestly, i never liked them much before coming back to spyderco. i like black blades. i like stonewashed blades. i really like the look of an acid stonewashed blade or a stonewashed coated blade. so, you can bet i was really excited to hear the news that spyderco is going to be offering a new type of coating from factory and at a cheaper price than dlc, which sometimes adds a seemingly ridiculous upcharge to a given model.

eric seemed to be pushing this "lubricity" term pretty hard, stating that it's even better than satin in some cases. personally, i don't care about that really, but i know some people that don't prefer coated blades cite drag in use as a reason. i'm hopeful, for their sakes, what eric says is true and the new coating is a success.

potentially an unintended consequence for me, and people like me, might be that we hold off on buying more knives. i really want a manix 2 lw salt, and have for years, but maybe they will release an all black version. if so, i 100% want that more than the yellow, even though i have no problem with the yellow salts at all. same goes for the native chief. i was thinking i'd jump on that one immediately, but now i'm wondering if we'll see it coated in the near future. and the military 2... what crazy cool colorway might we expect for that model?

i guess knives being out of stock, or not yet released has helped with my "patience" as well, but i'm excited about the prospect of more coated golden spydies. maybe i'll hold out a little and see what the next reveal brings.

anyone else excited about more coated blades? i can't be the only one around here that generally prefers them.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Windward

Re: new coating coming!

Post by Windward »

That was honestly one if things i was most excited about saying in the show videos. Love a coated blade. I really like the way they wear in, especially on saber grinds. I also appreciate whatever corrosion reaistance they might offer. They've atleast given me some justification for buying knives in non-stainless. If its actually slicker im all for it.

Also, probablly a niche request, but since he had 2 colors of it in the video, it would be really cool to see other blade color options besides black. A neon yellow blade with the bright yellow salt handle could be grear for an underwater work knife.
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

Awaiting more info on this mystery coating, specifically regarding durability compared to the current DLC.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Looking forward to some Spydercoat®
•• Beau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

DLC is the gold (or diamond) standard when it comes to durability so it’ll be interesting to see how the new in-house coatings from Spyderco stacks up. It sounds like the new coating will offer many potential colors, reduce the cost over the expensive DLC coating and be used for all the hardware on a folder for better corrosion resistance.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I bought a DLC coating blade the other day. Never tried on as I like the satin ones. It’s very nice. Better than the titanium carbonitride coatings I saw once
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Lubricity has piqued my curiosity and I will pursue this new coating. Who knows, maybe I’ll backfill the other coatings that I have avoided once the concept has been proven to me.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sounds interesting, I’m hoping to see a 15V in a coated blade in the future , not picky which model . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:28 pm
Looking forward to some Spydercoat®
See, they install that Spydercoat® at the factory. There's nothing we can do about that.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

DLC always blows my mind on how durable it is. Nothing really out in regular use seems to stand up even close to how it performs. The only thing is you can feel the drag a bit on some things. Eric discussing lubricity is intriguing in a knife hobby kinda way. 😁 If it is close or indistinguishable from DLC's durability and potentially cheaper with more color options then it will be a hit. Time will tell on the durability. We need some in the wild to be used to really see.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm happy to help test. i'm not a heavy user, but i'll make an exception! i haven't had any issues with my pvd blade, but it hasn't seen much heavy use. some light whittling is the most i've done with it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I'm excited for the new color options besides black.

At SHOT they showed a tan coating:

Personally I'm hoping we can see a sort of Army / Industrial dark green as well:

Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

Is it called:

Spy-Coat
Spyder-Coat
Spy-Splewge
Spyder-Splewge
Spy-Tanium
Synov

Post by Synov »

It's smooth as silk.... Spyder Sylk!
Visualizing the Tradeoff of Higher Hardness
S90V: Manix XL CF Yojumbo CF Shaman CF Native 5 Fluted CF CPM-154/S90V: Manix 2 Magnacut: Native 5 Fluted Ti Damasteel: Native 5 40th Anniversary ZDP-189: Dragonfly 2 Nishijin N690Co: PITS XHP: Chaparral Birdseye Maple
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am kind of a "weirdo" and "against the grain" when it comes to coated blades:

I like it when blades show wear and a "history of use", so on tool steel blades I don´t like coating, cause it prevents the nice look of a patina and slight signs of corrosion.

On stainless blades coating can be nice, cause there the knife gets more unique and personal from the scratches and use the coating itself shows (while the uncoated blade would not really develop a patina)

Functionally I never came even close to needing a coating - on the only part where corrosion could bother me - the cutting edge - there can´t be coating anyway, and on the rest of the blade I never had any real functional problems with corrosion. As said, patina, spots, discolorations are not a problem at all for me, I rather like those.

That said: It could be fun to have other coating colors than black on some blades! Perhaps even a high viz orange or green blade for outdoor use!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Definitely looking forward to the color options here. I imagine a red-bladed PM2 is going to sell like hotcakes, but I'm Mark on the green blades.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
crayon

Post by crayon »

sovereign wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:12 pm
Awaiting more info on this mystery coating, specifically regarding durability compared to the current DLC.
This is my main concern. DLC is bombproof. Other coatings currently in the market not so much. I recently stuck my DLC PM2 in a pouch with a cerakote Kershaw for some quick transport, and when i got them out the kershaw's coating was chipped away by having bumped into the PM2 - which was unscathed. :cheap-sunglasses
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I’m also fired up about the new Spyderco coating, especially interested in seeing what they offer for the salt line and I borderline abuse my knives so bring it on 💪👏
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I’m always stoked about coated blades and I’m excited for the new ones. I’ve always been a little bummed that there aren’t more coated options in the salt line. Hopefully we’ll see some more!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Come on GITD blades! We can call them lightsabers or laser swords if George Lucas isn't happy.

Seriously though, would love to see brass/bronze colors to go with blacked out handles. Really like that tan coating in the post above.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049