Your thoughts on the MT leather sheath?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Hatuletoh

Your thoughts on the MT leather sheath?

Post by Hatuletoh »

For anyone who's used one, how do you like the mule team leather sheath? As the upcoming HIC mule will not fit the standard Boltaron sheath, I was considering purchasing one of the leather ones rather than the HIC mule-specific Boltaron model, my thought being that maybe I'd rather have a sheath that could be used to carry other mules rather than one which will only work for the MT40 blade. On the other hand, hanging leather sheaths are definitely not my preferred carry method--I've used the standard Boltaron sheath for all previous MT purchases. So if anyone has the leather sheath, how do you like it? How is the retention? Are you able to move at a jog or light run without the blade falling out? How far does the sheath hang down from you belt? There are no measurements given on the website, but it looks like is sheath is fairly long so that a mule sits rather deep with only part of the handle was exposed. Am I seeing that right? Any thoughts/opinions/info you can give in the next approximately 23 hours will be appreciated.
VandymanG

Re: Your thoughts on the MT leather sheath?

Post by VandymanG »

For my Mules I use the leather sheath. My first sheath was the boltaron sheath. I also got the G10 scales for that knife. I found that I didn’t like the width of the Boltaron sheath and the feel of the G10 scales. So I started paracord wrapping my handles and went with the leather sheath. I like how slim the leather sheaths are because they fit perfectly in the unique pockets on my hiking pants, which the Boltaron did not do. The slim width and depth work nicely together. But I am not a fan of how long the leather sheath is. When I sit down in my car the sheath hits the seat and pushes up making it slightly irritating, emphasis on slightly. I’ve not had a knife fall out of the leather sheaths as of yet but I have bad knees and my running days are over. Also I think the paracord handles help the knives fit snugly.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix LW - CPM 4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

Here are some photos with measurements. Scales are Halpern micarta that also fit the stock Boltaron sheath. I'm holding it very loosely in the last pic, not pinching the blade; only caveat for the retention is that this sheath is still very new, so I'm not sure how much it will break in and potentially loosen up with regular use.

Attempted to upload a video that doesn't want to work on my phone- https://imgur.com/a/OtnB9kr
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

Thank you, gentlemen, that's very helpful and I believe you've sold me on the leather sheath. Being a Spyderco product I figured it wasn't a complete piece of junk, but there's a lot of space on the continuum between "complete piece of junk" and "sheath I'd actually want to use," especially to carry a knife that might shatter if it were to fall out onto a hard surface.
xnmw

Post by xnmw »

Hatuletoh wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:45 am
Thank you, gentlemen, that's very helpful and I believe you've sold me on the leather sheath. Being a Spyderco product I figured it wasn't a complete piece of junk, but there's a lot of space on the continuum between "complete piece of junk" and "sheath I'd actually want to use," especially to carry a knife that might shatter if it were to fall out onto a hard surface.
I just got mine today with the new mule and it’s tiiight. Even with my old mule with the g10 scales it’s tight. Going to let it break in. It feels like good quality though and I got it for the low carry position. No regrets
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

xnmw wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:34 pm
Hatuletoh wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:45 am
I just got mine today with the new mule and it’s tiiight. Even with my old mule with the g10 scales it’s tight. Going to let it break in. It feels like good quality though and I got it for the low carry position. No regrets
Yes, the one I received was very tight too, but I consider that a positive thing, and I agree: the construction quality is excellent. Overall I'm pretty happy with my leather sheath, but I've reverted to the Boltaron because I discovered that the ceramic mule does, in fact, fit in the standard Boltaron sheath. Or at least my ceramic mule fits into my Boltaron sheath. The retention is a little tighter than the with steel mules, but like I said, tight is good for me.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

The mule team leather sheath is awesome. I’m biased in that I used roughly that style of sheath at work for years when I was sailing professionally. I tend to wear those on piece of rope that I just tie on over whatever else I’m wearing, so I can slide the knife around to wherever it’s most accessible or least in the way depending on what I need. I really like this style of sheath for rigging work and I wouldn’t hesitate to take the mule sheath aloft.

I wish these were available for all Spyderco fixed blades, but that’s just me being lazy and trying to get out of making my own leather sheaths. 😁
Nottoby

Post by Nottoby »

Sheath is good sheaths are to the persons own needs i like scout carry for edc will make a leather scout carry soon
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Well I carried my K294 mule in Moab and Arches National Park for the first week of April and didn’t notice the sheath damage till a couple of days ago. Can’t carry a gun in National parks so I carried my mule in its place on my gun belt. Well apparently the rock scrambling and sitting down (sheath hits car seat when I sit down) were too much for the leather. Just glad I didn’t lose the knife, a few threads held on.

Not sure how I’m going to repair this sheath. Not in my skill set as of yet.
Attachments
Damage threads from rubbing on gun belt.
Damage threads from rubbing on gun belt.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix LW - CPM 4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

VandymanG wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:24 pm
Well I carried my K294 mule in Moab and Arches National Park for the first week of April and didn’t notice the sheath damage till a couple of days ago. Can’t carry a gun in National parks so I carried my mule in its place on my gun belt. Well apparently the rock scrambling and sitting down (sheath hits car seat when I sit down) were too much for the leather. Just glad I didn’t lose the knife, a few threads held on.

Not sure how I’m going to repair this sheath. Not in my skill set as of yet.
Whoa. That's insane man. That's not normal...

Looks like you could rethread it but it's hard to tell over that picture. It's yellow like an aramid also which..

What do you guys use as thread? @sal 🧵 If you know.

Could have just been a bad batch, some specific movement or what it looks like to me is a rock cut it somewhere and then it worked it's threads apart. They may replace it if you are being honest which.. well I think we all believe you lol. I'd at least ask.. why not right?

Plus you can carry in national Parks. I have at least? 🙄🫢 Where do you live? What law are you basing that on? Oh. Washington. I'm sorry for you there sir.

Remember if ya ever gotta defend yourself don't step outside of your house! A joke but. Real.

-Jay
You say E = mc² × I argue E² = m²c⁴ + p²c²
Jason Ward shockey01@gmail.com +1 412-726-8610 My Discord