Parata cruwear ffg and superlock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michal O

Parata cruwear ffg and superlock

Post by Michal O »

I've idea in my head. Parata is weird and interesting design but few things could be improved in some hypothetical sprint run variant.

With such blade shape, you better go with ffg, no need for robust saber grind with thin area around spyderhole.

Cruwear steel would give this blade some durability, at least in mind of buyer.

Instead that lock complicated to manufacture (it was fun to watch Nick Shabazz trying to put it together), you can use free for all superlock by Snecx. It's simple and very solid, very fidgety. Snecx didn't patented it in hope that more makers will use it.

What do you think?
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
phaust

Re: Parata cruwear ffg and superlock

Post by phaust »

With the curve on the top of the handle, I'm not sure the superlock would fit(?). I don't think I've seen any superlock designs with a lock bar short enough to hit before the handle curves down and away, including knives with any of the ripoff lock designs like the Shark and Atlas. Designs with a superlock/superlock-like lock all have straight handles as far as I've seen. Maybe it's possible though?

The other issues working against you are (1) you're asking for a complete resign to become a sprint of a model that didn't sell well enough to keep in production, (2) a redesign of a model not made in house means both Spyderco and Paul have to agree to changes and work on it together, which makes it even more complicated and time consuming thus expensive, (3) there hasn't been any cruwear out of Japan yet I don't believe, so Spyderco would need to order and buy and ship a whole order out there (not a bad thing--I bet a bunch of people would love the excess going to Enduras, Delicas, etc.--it just means compared to something already there or available domestically already, it's again more complex/time intensive/expensive/etc.)
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

There is already Stretch XL in cruwear and sprint Massad Ayoob both made in Japan.

I know it would be drastic change for design. So maybe different but similar "crazy" design with superlock.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

An Ouroboros sprint or exclusive might be easier to bring to fruition as Spyderco would only need to change the blade steel and handle color.