Vote: Kick? Choil? Forward? Other?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Kick, Choil, Forward, or Other?

Kick
15%
Choil
42%
Forward
38%
Other
5%

Total votes: 95

Bolster

Vote: Kick? Choil? Forward? Other?

Post by Bolster »

Your favorite...Kick? Finger Choil? Handle Forward? Other?
See photos in next post for "definitions."
Please vote & discuss.
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Re: Vote: Kick? Choil? Forward? Other?

Post by Bolster »

(What Bolster means by Kick, Finger Choil, Handle Forward, & Other:)
Attachments
Kick.jpg
Choil.jpg
Forward.jpg
Other.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

As a lover and daily user of Manixes and Shamans i can only say i love choils i find them very handy and sure i need to give in some blade lenght but it is more then worth it for me.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Although I voted for the Choil, it really depends on the knife. I'm a big Manix 2 fan, but I don't use the choil. If you were to get rid of the choil, so many other things would have to be changed that the knife would no longer be a Manix 2.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I voted handle forward though some models feel nice with a choil. Smaller models with a choil allow for a full grip in a small folded package. I think that is nice. Also, for some handles that are on the shorter side, I prefer a choil for the feeling of security that my hand is not going to slip off the back.

Given the choice, I prefer a full grip with no blade choil and the hand going all the way to the edge. Though I do like some or one finger groove in the handle. I would love to see more Manix style grips without the blade finger choil. I think that grip is pretty locked in to begin with.

As far as exposed kicks/ricassos, I could do without them assuming you still have a hidden ricassos for finger protection. I would love to see the RJ/LJ handle forward design move through the Seki line-up in different models. Not saying to make them all like that, but maybe another variety with a less neutral handle grip.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Choil for me. All my favorite models have one, so it must mean something to me!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

I voted choil, but only because it only allowed a single choice. From my 'only 5' list, 3 have a choil and 2 are handle forward.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Confession. I wasn't certain how to classify the knives I lumped into "Other." Two look like large sharpening choils and I guess the MicroJimbo is just a plain straight ricasso. Does that sound right? I half expected JSumm to vote "Other" because he likes the Bradley 2 lots. (If memory serves.)

I was so confused by the Ikuchi I didn't even include it in the photos...what category is that? Is it handle forward? Or "other" as in small sharpening choil? Does handle forward imply no sharpening choil?

I do agree with Dr. JSumm that the size of the knife can make a big difference on whether a finger choil is almost necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if folks who like the smaller knives, reliably vote "choil."
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Voted kick but it's not a make-or-break thing for me. Also have lots of choils, some others, and at least one handle forward in the Astute. There's designs I like with all of them. Delica/Endela/Endura is just my overall Spyderco preference, and I wouldn't want to see a choil added to it. Pretty sure that leaves me on Team Kick.

I will say that if a knife has a finger choil I almost always use it and don't go for a "behind the choil" grip. Similarly, I do not use the kick as an improvised choil for models with kicks.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I voted kick, because that's what the Delica has, and it's perfect and doesn't need to change.
--Jeremy
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kick for me.

Best of all worlds imo:

- Usually makes for a longer actual handle than a choil would
- Still works perfectly fine for choking up on it (the kick)
- Usually gives one a guard and some distance to the edge when not choking up in the few tasks this might be desireable for safety reasons (stabbing with wet, cold...hands)
- Still the hand is not so far away from the edge when not choking up as it would be with a choil
- Allows for the "drop the kick on the forefinger" closing method just like a choil.
- Does not eat up too much cutting edge

Exception: Knives as small as thw Chap ir smaller: Then I prefer a good finger choil.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Depends on the pattern. Spyderco never forgot that a folding knife can, well, fold. The choil provides that extra level of safety while still allowing the user to get right up next to the blade.
- Richard
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

The choil allows the folded knife to be much smaller and compact and the open knife to be more secure and ergonomic in hand. This is pretty much a no brainer for me.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I have "favorite" knives in all the categories, so I guess I don't care very much, and consider each knife on its own set of merits.

I voted "forward," though, because if I were designing a knife from scratch I'd strive for what I think of as the handle-forward philosophy: as much edge as possible in a handle that's as compact as possible, but still long enough for 4-fingered grip. The designs I admire most are in the forward category, whether they're favorites or not. Caribbean, Tenacious, Astute, the Jumpers... Whenever a forward doesn't work for me, it's because of specific design elements aside from its forwardness: palm swell too big, not enough of a handle choil, knife is too small or not available in a steel I want, etc. The same sort of elements that, if they do match my preferences, can make me love a knife with a kick or a choil: the Pacific Salt and Manix 2, for instance. Would I rather have something really close to those designs, but "forward" instead. Yep.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Definately other! And look at the size of that Spiderhole.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:39 pm
Confession. I wasn't certain how to classify the knives I lumped into "Other." Two look like large sharpening choils and I guess the MicroJimbo is just a plain straight ricasso. Does that sound right? I half expected JSumm to vote "Other" because he likes the Bradley 2 lots. (If memory serves.)

I was so confused by the Ikuchi I didn't even include it in the photos...what category is that? Is it handle forward? Or "other" as in small sharpening choil? Does handle forward imply no sharpening choil?

I do agree with Dr. JSumm that the size of the knife can make a big difference on whether a finger choil is almost necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if folks who like the smaller knives, reliably vote "choil."
Well Bolster. I didn't select other not because of your classification but because I'm an idiot and didn't read the entire question.😂. Ill fix that right now. Have I blamed kids too much to use that excuse again?

Now that I have fully read the question, 🤦I believe other may fit what I was trying to describe with the Manix sans blade choil? Finger choil or groove in the handle and not in the blade. I think that fits the Bradley well, and I do love the Bradley.

Edit - I cannot change my vote so I am dedicating myself to keeping an ongoing rerun percentages/count.

Kick - 7 - 20%
Choil - 15 - 43%
Forward - 11 - 31%
Other - 2 - 6%
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Well I like a variety and it really just depends on the knife for me…if you take a look at my top 5, I mean top 10 there’s no rhyme or reason 😉
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:10 pm
Edit - I cannot change my vote so I am dedicating myself to keeping an ongoing rerun percentages/count.

That's odd. I checked the "change vote" checkbox when making the poll. Is Kristi messing with me again? It's raining and the burnt offering wouldn't light.

I went back into edit and checked that box again...please to try now?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 5.32.51 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 5.32.51 PM.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:33 pm
Thank the choil! It worked. I had already gotten out some milk and cookies and was expecting a very long night ahead.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:38 pm
Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:33 pm
Thank the choil! It worked. I had already gotten out some milk and cookies and was expecting a very long night ahead.

Choil be praised. But to argue the concept: Doesn't the GB2 style of "other" keep your index a fair distance away from the heel of the blade? Honestly I am more attracted to the GB1. The index finger cutout is in the handle (nice!) but you can still get right up on the blade.