Smooth Precision Pens, Out of Business - Alternatives???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Studiousworkman

Smooth Precision Pens, Out of Business - Alternatives???

Post by Studiousworkman »

Hi everyone,

If no one has heard, Smooth Precision Pens A.K.A. Urban Survival Gear, closed its doors back in July/August of 2023. The owner and founder, Kelvin Verrett closed the company due to a health scare, and working 16 hour days for 8 years straight, among other things. Smooth Precision Pens made (in my honest opinion) the most incredible, precise, a joy to actuate, detailed and best machined custom pens on the market, ANYWHERE. I was wondering if anyone has found a custom pen company that makes pens not just similar, but comparable to SPP??

I know of Autmog, Tactile Turn, Nottingham Tactical, Honey Badger, etc. but truthfully, none of them hold a candle to what Kelvin produced in the Ti-Scribe/Smooth Precision Pens - Smooth Pen V2.

Please let me know if I'm missing any, but I am already writing this message knowing full well through my research, that, there most likely is not another company on the same playing field as his was - but I want to be proven wrong!! Please comment and inform!!

-All the best-
aicolainen

Re: Smooth Precision Pens, Out of Business - Alternatives???

Post by aicolainen »

I heard about him shutting down, but didn't know anything about the reason.
Sad to hear, seems he worked hard to get were he was, but no business endeavor is more important than health.

I'm not big into pens, but I ordered one from him; TiScribe-Mini Titanium V2 LTW (I had to look that up :smlling-eyes ).
It's a nice pen, and of the few fancy pens I have, it's definitively the one I have used and carried the most. It's just that I don't carry pens very often.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

No personal experience with them, but Prometheus Lights also makes high end pens. darksucks.com if you want to take a look.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't have one of their pens, but I have several Prometheus lights that I've been very pleased with.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I also own a couple tactile turn pens. I vastly prefer the heavier stainless steel to the lighter titanium, because the stainless steel version has a much smoother action.

Another good pen I've been happy with is the Hinderer Investigator (the 'half size' one), which I've carried in my pocket quite a lot, because it's so small and light.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Studiousworkman

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:24 pm
I heard about him shutting down, but didn't know anything about the reason.
Sad to hear, seems he worked hard to get were he was, but no business endeavor is more important than health.

I'm not big into pens, but I ordered one from him; TiScribe-Mini Titanium V2 LTW (I had to look that up :smlling-eyes ).
It's a nice pen, and of the few fancy pens I have, it's definitively the one I have used and carried the most. It's just that I don't carry pens very often.
Great picture by the way! :beaming-face

From what I understood from his last post via instagram (which is closed now by the way) was that there was supposed to be another local company buying up all his CNC machines and then potentially starting to reproduce them? It was up in the air, it seemed, but nonetheless, I'd love to see that come to fruition. The smooth action, attentional to detail, robust yet slim nature of these are my favorites as well.
Studiousworkman

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:35 pm
No personal experience with them, but Prometheus Lights also makes high end pens. darksucks.com if you want to take a look.
Thank you both @yablanowitz and @TomAiello. I really appreciate the suggestion! Actually, I have owned a Prometheus pen, it was very well made, but quite heavy and I never carried it. It just never did anything for me. Plus, I'm not super keen on spring clips on pens, maybe I've been spoiled with the Ti-Scribe, but I just love milled clips on pens. I don't want to go back lol.
Studiousworkman

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:55 pm
I also own a couple tactile turn pens. I vastly prefer the heavier stainless steel to the lighter titanium, because the stainless steel version has a much smoother action.

Another good pen I've been happy with is the Hinderer Investigator (the 'half size' one), which I've carried in my pocket quite a lot, because it's so small and light.
I was not aware that Tactile made a stainless steel version...very interesting.

I just remembered there is an American made company called BilletSpin and they make CAM Pens. They are supposed to be very well made. I'm looking forward to trying one of those once they are restocked!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Tactile Turn website now shows no items in the stainless steel category. I wonder if they discontinued them?

https://tactileturn.com/collections/stainless-steel
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It looks like maybe it's a 'every once in a while we make the old ones' kind of thing:

https://tactileturn.com/products/stainl ... ction-pens

"We used to do a lot of Stainless Steel pens. It's a fantastic material that's very similar aesthetically to matte, stonewashed titanium but almost as dense as copper meaning you get added toughness and corrosion resistance that red metals don't offer. Machining the stuff is surprisingly tough on tooling and, if you're worried about scratches, our signature texture hides them well."