MT40P – HIC Mule Team Dropping Soon!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
hollowt1pz

Re: MT40P – HIC Mule Team Dropping Soon!

Post by hollowt1pz »

Toker wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 pm
hollowt1pz wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:42 pm
Performance graphics or just raw data and photos/video? I'd probably say the former is a bit superfluous. What would you guys prefer?
Optimum angle for durability and edge retention. I can't speak for everyone, but that's the only thing that interests me about this material.
Edge retention isn't exactly something that you should need to worry about with this material whatsoever but so far I would have to recommend 20° dps or more. This is where you have to ignore some of the CATRA results that you would use with steel alloys.

Edit: Correction - my recommendation after some more thought about it would swap to 17.5-22.5° ps. It's not going to work like steel.. impacts are going to soften the material, so it's going to 'chip' very different than steel.. you kinda want to expect it to chip after enough use regardless, so while to me, 22.5dps is .. quite fat? This stuff isn't going to perform much differently than it would at 17.5dps like steel, thus my current recommendation. 👍 (Everyone I know has their own opinions, someone smarter than me disagrees but it's under the same principle as far as I am educated)

Michael
SmokinTheologian

Post by SmokinTheologian »

I'm interested in some porkman testing results... :winking-tongue

Really neat project! Trying to get my hands on one.
Yojimbo Freak looking for a Yojimbo 1

Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, “I am strong.”
hewn7

Post by hewn7 »

Had 2 arrive last week.

Sharpening on resin bonded diamond with one of them, and I’ve not been able to work up a shaving edge. I suspect that’s me more than the material.

The second I took to the tormek with a 600 grit cbn wheel and completely reworked the bevel at 17 dps, which was close to what was on it from the factory. Then i took it to a leather belt on a ko blade grinder loaded with 1500 diamond paste. This yielded an edge that will shave leg hair, and took maybe all of 10 mins to produce, half of which was changing the tormek wheel and angle.