LC200N for mullet? Recommendation Needed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DBCajun

LC200N for mullet? Recommendation Needed

Post by DBCajun »

Hi folks, first post here. I’ve been researching for my next knife purchase and have read a lot of different takes online, so I thought I’d come and ask the folks who know the most about this stuff.

I’m looking for a recommendation for a salt series and debating between LC200N and Magnacut. I’m looking at the Native 5, but happy to hear other recommendations. Use will be as follows: Saltwater fishing including surf and wade fishing. I’ll be cutting line, hooks out of fish mouths occasionally, and I’ll be cutting mullet and croakers in half for cut bait. I usually use a stainless Mora, but dealing with the sheath is a real hassle as I don’t keep it on a belt. I’ll also use the knife for some light recreational camping. I’ll be cutting some paracord, whittling some sticks for fun and for marshmallows, doing some food prep. At home I’ll use it for opening packages, cutting trimmer string, occasional cardboard breakdown, and other general tasks.

I recently bought my first Spyderco - a Dragongly Salt - and man I love it. The ergonomics are amazing. I’m interested in something a little larger for fishing, though the Dragonfly would probably be enough for the tasks described. But you can’t have enough knives can you?

So, my question - based on the tasks listed above, especially the saltwater use and fish cutting, do you recommend LC200N or Magnacut? Basically, do you think the LC200N’s edge would be just fine for the use described? I’m leaning toward the LC for the corrosion resistance.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to your recommendations.
Michael Janich

Re: LC200N for mullet? Recommendation Needed

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear DBCajun:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I like both steels, Magna-Cut keeps a fine edge much better than LC200N in my experience for outdoor tasks, I use it on wood regularly and it holds up. LC200N isn’t a slouch either, (my favorite outdoor knife is the spyderchef for ease of maintenence) and there are far more models available in it as well too. I can’t attest to saltwater performance but if you are satisfied with a stainless mora either will do well for you. How are you sharpening your knives?
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Well the Mora has some rust spots on it. Not entirely satisfied with that. The blade is also too thick for my liking.

I don’t have a dedicated sharpening system aside for my kitchen knives, where I use a Japanese water stone. For everything else I have a collection of old stones and rods that I’ve collected over the years, but nothing dedicated. I’m new to carrying a daily knife although I can’t tell you how many times I needed one over the years and didn’t have one. I was thinking of getting a Sharpmaker from Spyderco.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I would have no problem using my LC200N or H1 knives in that way, but that’s me, not you.

I think if you really want an answer to your question you have to try the steels. Nobody else can really know how you cut with knives.

If you try them and adjust your edges to what works best for you with each steel. You’ll figure out what you like.
Sharpening is the most important factor, in my opinion. You can make the edge more acute or obtuse and change grits to find the right balance of properties.

However, I do think H1 or H2 is something to consider, especially since you seem to be happy with your Dragongly and value any extra corrosion resistance.

I’ve found my H1 Aquasalt to keep a working edge for a long time after sharpening to a coarse grit. It’s not razor sharp anymore, but doesn’t deform as much as the factory edge and will continue to cut big salty ropes just fine.
That’s obviously a different use and mine is serrated, so it’s not a directly applicable comparison.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Both are great. LC200n will work well for you. Magnacut will keep an edge even better, but lose some corrosion resistance. I encourage you to take a look at the Pacific Salt 2 in LC200n, which is available now, or the upcoming Native Chief in Magnacut or LC200n. Both models will offer a large blade with a lot of slicing ability, a solid back lock (like the Dfly you have), good grip texture and ergonomics, and a great steel for saltwater use. Also the LC200n knife handles are bright green and the Magnacut have yellow if you care. Another cool option is the Siren which is a LC200n backlock with G10 handles designed by a kayak fisherman. I'm not sure if you have considered it, but if you want maximum corrosion resistance, then also look at Spyderco's H2 steel. This is the steel you can neglect the most and expect little or no corrosion. But, it also has the least edge retention of the three mentioned. That doesn't matter a whole lot if you don't mind more frequent sharpening. You can get the Pacific in H2 (they even have a black blade version if you don't like the bright colors) or the newly released excellent Stretch 2XL Salt. There are other options too, it's crazy how many b/c Spyderco is the innovator and market leader in corrosion resistant EDC knives.
Last edited by spydergoat on Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I would choose a Stretch 2 XL Salt or Pacific Salt in H1 or H2 if wade fishing is involved. Both are available in plain and serrated edges.

One of those would be my choice but, that said, LC200N or MagnaCut would do the job too. All three of those steels are easily up to the tasks you describe.
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Coastal, thanks for turning me on to the Stretch 2 XL. The blade length might be better for fish than the Native. I think I’d get only an extra 1/2” from the Native over my Dfly. So something larger might be good for a dedicated fish knife, while my Dfly can be my daily pocket carry.

Definitely want a finger choil. Also think the Native Chief’s tip gets a little thin.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Saw the title of this thread and immediately wondered why a barber needs a corrosion resistant knife. 😉
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

As a surf fisherman, my preference is a serrated blade from the salt series. When I keep a fsih, my number one priority is preserving the innate culinary goodness of fresh fish by bleeding it. That means slitting its gills and nothing does that better then a serrated edge. For larger fish like stripers I carry a serrated PacSalt 2. For lesser fish I carry a serrated UKPK and must confess it sure is handy. Quick and easy. Now it may not seem that eliminating the step of unlocking a knife saves much time, but not having to fumble with unlocking it makes it seem so. Both knives are LC200N. I have not tried MagnaCut yet, but as soon as the UKPK makes its debut in MagnaCut PE I will order one. For food prep, I prefer PE. My choice for an outdoor knife for deer skinning and camp food prep is The SpydieChef. Can't say enough good things about it.
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:21 pm
Saw the title of this thread and immediately wondered why a barber needs a corrosion resistant knife. 😉
:') :')
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Thanks for the recs, everyone. I just bought the Stretch 2XL Lightweight Salt. After looking at the Native and others, I wanted more blade length. I’m thinking the Sttetch will be my dedicated fishing knife. Can’t wait to get it.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:21 pm
When I saw it I thought Bloke would be all over this with a great picture of a dude with a nice business in the front and party in the back.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DBCajun wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:27 pm
Hi folks, first post here. I’ve been researching for my next knife purchase and have read a lot of different takes online, so I thought I’d come and ask the folks who know the most about this stuff.

I’m looking for a recommendation for a salt series and debating between LC200N and Magnacut. I’m looking at the Native 5, but happy to hear other recommendations. Use will be as follows: Saltwater fishing including surf and wade fishing. I’ll be cutting line, hooks out of fish mouths occasionally, and I’ll be cutting mullet and croakers in half for cut bait. I usually use a stainless Mora, but dealing with the sheath is a real hassle as I don’t keep it on a belt. I’ll also use the knife for some light recreational camping. I’ll be cutting some paracord, whittling some sticks for fun and for marshmallows, doing some food prep. At home I’ll use it for opening packages, cutting trimmer string, occasional cardboard breakdown, and other general tasks.

First and foremost: Welcome to the forum!

... actually there are two recent threads that I think should help you a lot with your question, see here

- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96011

- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96030

..... for you usecases (especially, but not only food prep) I personally would go with a larger Salt knife (longer cutting edge that is): At least the Manix 2 LW Salt, or the Pacific Salt or, if you can still find one, a Siren.
If you want that smaller size of the Native, my personal preference would be the Salt 2 instead: Thinner, slicier blade, lighter weight, longer grip area on the actual handle and for me better (more stable in hand) ergos. But that´s just me.

.... on the steels: As said, the links above should tell you a lot.
I personally never tried MC, but only LC 200N (and H1). As far as I can even say anything with that kind of background, I´d go with LC if you want extreme ease of sharpening and absolutely need that a bit higher corrosion resistance, if longer edge holding is a priority Magnacut should be the way to go (and I figure in almost any real life scenario it will be pretty much as rustproof as LC)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Thanks Warstein! Very helpful info. Those links are great. I’m confident I made a good choice in the Stretch 2 XL Salt. Those Paramilitary 2 Salts look so cool too…might have to snag one in the future.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

DBCajun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:59 pm
Thanks for the recs, everyone. I just bought the Stretch 2XL Lightweight Salt. After looking at the Native and others, I wanted more blade length. I’m thinking the Sttetch will be my dedicated fishing knife. Can’t wait to get it.
Did you go for plain edge or serrated? I'm patiently(?) waiting for these to arrive in the UK and keen to hear how people are finding them!
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

On my last trip to Florida, where I do a lot of surf fishing, I brought my Spyderco Carribean Sheepsfoot SE in LC200N to use as my bait knife. I was cutting thru some tough fish between cleaning Sheepshead and cutting up jack crevalle for shark bait. Its tough work cutting thru the scales and backbone of a larger fish. The LC200N cut with ease, but by the end of the week my SE saw toast. It was chipped and rolled almost the whole length of the blade. That was last October and I haven't even wanted to think about sharpening that SE. Thats a big downfall to me. From my experience LC200N does not have the toughness and edge retention needed for the thick spine of a mullet or similarly sized fish. Especially if your doing a lot of this type of cutting/chopping and don't have time to touch up the blade. Hopefully I get to try MagnaCut in Florida this spring. I've got the hardware, just need the trip.
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

Farmer wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:18 pm
DBCajun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:59 pm
Did you go for plain edge or serrated? I'm patiently(?) waiting for these to arrive in the UK and keen to hear how people are finding them!
I went with the plain edge. I think it’ll be better for all around use. Plus, I do t really have the sharpening experience for a SE. But I read a bunch of great reviews on the SE in H1/H2. Definitely see one in my future for boating safety.
DBCajun

Post by DBCajun »

jmj3esq wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:01 pm
On my last trip to Florida, where I do a lot of surf fishing, I brought my Spyderco Carribean Sheepsfoot SE in LC200N to use as my bait knife. I was cutting thru some tough fish between cleaning Sheepshead and cutting up jack crevalle for shark bait. Its tough work cutting thru the scales and backbone of a larger fish. The LC200N cut with ease, but by the end of the week my SE saw toast. It was chipped and rolled almost the whole length of the blade. That was last October and I haven't even wanted to think about sharpening that SE. Thats a big downfall to me. From my experience LC200N does not have the toughness and edge retention needed for the thick spine of a mullet or similarly sized fish. Especially if your doing a lot of this type of cutting/chopping and don't have time to touch up the blade. Hopefully I get to try MagnaCut in Florida this spring. I've got the hardware, just need the trip.
Interesting. I definitely don’t have the skill to re-work a mangled SE blade…not right now, at least. I’m hoping the Stretch will be rugged enough for cutting through fish. I don’t process a ton of fish, but I definitely cut through a few almost every trip. I have a dedicated fillet knife, but it would be cool to use the Stretch XL to fillet some at the camp to reduce the stuff I bring.

I’ve been checking out the Paramilitary 2 Salt, which I understand has a thicker blade? Maybe better for heavier tasks? Y’all let me know. A Military 2 would be cool in salt. But I can’t wait to get the Stretch on the water.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Just seeing this so welcome aboard and great choice… I have the Stretch XL Salt SE and it’s replaced the Pacific as my favorite large folder…super easy to sharpen on the Sharpmaker and holds an edge for a good long time…fantastic ergos to boot…glad you’re liking the Dfly salt too. 🎣 👊