Got my amazing Chaves 229 yesterday!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Striple765Rider

Got my amazing Chaves 229 yesterday!

Post by Striple765Rider »

I’ve been wanting to get into a little higher end knives a bit (but still realistically affordable). I’ve been looking at Quiet Carry, Chaves and CRK’s mostly. After having my Spydiechef and Techno 2 I’ve really grown to love titanium scales and the fit and feel of a little higher quality knife than your run of the mill $150-ish PM2, Manix and so on.

I found a killer deal at BHQ on the Chaves so I picked one up in the gorgeous tanto profile (I think they have nicest version of a tanto out of anybody) with the really nice kick stop flipper tab. It came in yesterday and it’s really amazing. So incredibly smooth and the fit and finish is up there with the nice Taichung Spydies like the Chef and Techno 2 (the only models I have first hand experience with). What’s really weird to me and I can’t figure out is that even though it’s almost identical in size in every dimension and heavier than my Shaman it carries better in the pocket. My Shaman always felt kinda bulky to me so it gets almost no carry time.

Anyways enough babbling. Here’s some really cool pictures I took of it and the Techno outside in the snow today since we finally got some sunshine.

Next to the Shaman.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
TkoK83Spy

Re: Got my amazing Chaves 229 yesterday!

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Willing to bet your Shaman cuts 5x better though! That's a pretty weird grind on that knife. More show and no go!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:48 pm
Willing to bet your Shaman cuts 5x better though! That's a pretty weird grind on that knife. More show and no go!
Pretty big statement for never having one Rick...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Those Chaves with that hollow grind will absolutely get with it....
And after sharpened- forget about it!
They cut plenty good.
Cuts much better than my Caly 3.5
They may look weird but, 😆 they are a freakin razor.
Striple765Rider

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Actually it doesn’t. Like McLaren said this thing is a lightsaber through stuff (so far just paper, cardboard and blocks of cheese.) with that deep hollow grind. From what I’ve read they put the compound bevels on it so that the main section of the belly would be a crazy good slicer and very thin behind the edge with the hollow grind and then the front part of the tanto section is flat ground to give it a tougher tip area. These are supposed to be pretty hard working knives and not just for looks, that’s just a bonus that they look so good. It locks open rock solid and I can not get the blade to budge side to side or up and down at all.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I love that tanto grind. Like a dream grind for me with the Tanto. Blends well with the main grind. Looks like a strong tip that you can scrape with. And the hollow grind that allows you to cut with.
Makes me regret not picking up a Tanto PM2 when they were available.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Striple765Rider

Yeah I really like the way they did it as well. I like how they did the transition of the two edges much less abrupt than most do on a tanto. You really have to look at it to tell it’s even a tanto and not just a drop point. I also like the compound bevels so that the two different sections of the edge can do different tasks. And the fit and finish and small details plus the smoothness of the action are really something else. I also like how they include a spare plain milled titanium pocket clip to swap out if you don’t like the skull pocket clip it comes with. I swapped it because even though I know it’s his signature thing I just didn’t care for the look of it.

-Dave
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Complete nonsense. The Chaves has a hollow grind which makes it a great slicer and better than the Shaman. I own both so coming from someone actually using both knives.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:26 pm
I’ve been wanting to get into a little higher end knives a bit (but still realistically affordable). I’ve been looking at Quiet Carry, Chaves and CRK’s mostly. After having my Spydiechef and Techno 2 I’ve really grown to love titanium scales and the fit and feel of a little higher quality knife than your run of the mill $150-ish PM2, Manix and so on.

I found a killer deal at BHQ on the Chaves so I picked one up in the gorgeous tanto profile (I think they have nicest version of a tanto out of anybody) with the really nice kick stop flipper tab. It came in yesterday and it’s really amazing. So incredibly smooth and the fit and finish is up there with the nice Taichung Spydies like the Chef and Techno 2 (the only models I have first hand experience with). What’s really weird to me and I can’t figure out is that even though it’s almost identical in size in every dimension and heavier than my Shaman it carries better in the pocket. My Shaman always felt kinda bulky to me so it gets almost no carry time.

Anyways enough babbling. Here’s some really cool pictures I took of it and the Techno outside in the snow today since we finally got some sunshine.

Next to the Shaman.
Congrats! It's an awsome knife 💪👊
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I have handled this knife before, granted I didn't use it. My buddy at work that gets all the big and crazy Heretic, Medfords, etc kind of knives has this one. It's cool and all, a real tank. But I just found it to be extremely thick, even with the high hollow grind. I know the Shaman is similar in that aspect and would fully expect a well sharpened Shaman to outperform the Chaves.

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Shiny shiny footprints! 😃
Striple765Rider

It’s really no thicker than my Shaman. Maybe you’re confusing it with another model? I’ve seen medfords and they’re ridiculous, this thing of nowhere near as chunky as those.

Here’s an above view and you can see blade and scale thickness is per much the same as the Shaman. According to the specs the Chaves is .16” thick blade and the shaman is .15”

-Dave
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hmmm, after seeing that photo with the spine comparison, I'm questioning which model my friend has. I was pretty sure his was noticeably thicker than a Shaman, where that one is instead very similar. I'll see him this week, curious what he has so I'll ask him.

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Here's the Chaves 229 Liberation - with a Shirogorov Ursus Quantium
And, the Chaves 229 Rendencion slices a little better than the Liberation.
So, I'm not sure your gonna find a Chaves that's thicker than either the Rendencion or Liberation
I could be wrong of course.