Help with a Caly 3/UKPK...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmj3esq

Help with a Caly 3/UKPK...

Post by jmj3esq »

I love the shape and size of the of the leaf UKPK, but I would prefer a locking knife. I hear so much rave about the Caly 3 all the time but have never seen or held one in person. They look similar, but im not sure if they are similar. Can anyone tell me if these knives are indeed similar? Im hoping the Caly 3 has a similar size and blade shape as the UKPK, but a little extra weight is added from liners and hardware. Please tell me they are similar feeling knives as I need a new fix. Thanks!
JSumm

Re: Help with a Caly 3/UKPK...

Post by JSumm »

The Caly 3 is essentially a locking UKPK. It was designed from the UKPK as a locking version. Essentially the same footprint.

The UKPK is lighter and has thinner blade stock. With the choil and very strong spring, honestly you almost forget that it is a non-blocking model. I prefer the little guard bump at the end of the choil on the UKPK. Feels nice in hand and adds a bit of security.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

If you want a locking ukpk I think you’d love the caly 3
And I don’t hear much of this rave you speak of on this forum besides myself nowadays.
:bug-red-white
anycal

Post by anycal »

More so, when comparing the Caly 3 to the G10 UKPK, the differences are very subtle.

I would expect there to be a bigger difference based on the shape of the finger choil, but there really isn't. Not in my hands. Same with the blade stock. Took them both to an apple and some cardboard. I would have to pay close attention to tell the difference in how the cut feels.

The lack of a lock has not held the UKPK back in my use. Both frequently in my rotation.

Peter
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Nice. I think I'll pick one up. I already have a couple UKPK's.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:14 pm
And I don’t hear much of this rave you speak of on this forum besides myself nowadays.
Yeah it's all you :eye-roll
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:22 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:14 pm
Yeah it's all you :eye-roll
Chill, not what I said.
:bug-red-white
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Caly3 is one of Spyderco's best designs and should be in the lineup always, with different scale and steel choices. Also, this would be the perfect knife to use a stop pin in it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Are they bringing the calyback? I read some stuff in another thread about prototypes being in the works. I never paid much attention to the design before but and starting to like the look of it. I still need to pick up a UKPK though
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

RugerNurse wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:59 am
Are they bringing the calyback? I read some stuff in another thread about prototypes being in the works. I never paid much attention to the design before but and starting to like the look of it. I still need to pick up a UKPK though
IIRC, sal has mentioned Caly 3, and 3.5 Lightweight variants, along with a full size (4") updated Calypso that are either all on the drawing board, or are in prototyping at this point.

The UKPK is a great knife with an extremely intuitive design. IMO, one of their shining achievements in both design and function.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.